PDA

View Full Version : Sports drinks...

eliana2003
May 4th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Hey - I have a quick question... my husband and i are having a bit of a debate about the value of sports drinks and training. I have to admit that I'm somewhat fond of drinking gatorade whilst training and I do feel that it enhances my performance. My hubbie, however, a staunch pragamatist, thinks that sports drinks are nothing but gimics (for example, he's ex-army and his advice to those who want to 'get fit' is to find a hill and run up and down it until exhausted- don't talk about it, do it is his favourite motto).

Any thoughts anyone??

Rob Copeland
May 5th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Eliana,

If you are fond of drinking Gatorade whilst training and feel that it enhances my performance, then by all means keep it up.

Ask any marathon swimmer or runner who has tried to compete without taking on any fluids, if you can find one, how they felt at the completion of the race. Iím sure if they finished they would always take fluids in the future. And while most sports drink marketing hype overstates the productís benefits, there is plenty of scientific evidence to support your position that sports drinks do help to prevent performance fatigue.

Beards247
May 5th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Swimmers are notorious for not taking in liquid or nutrients while training. Sweating is caused by a rise in core body temprature. This happens whether you are running, biking, swimming, etc. If you swim in warm water it is even worse. Would you run for an hour or more in 80 deg weather without taking a sip of water?

Taking in nutrients also helps you during certain types of training. For instance, in sprint/VO2 Max training your body is tapping Muscle glycogen (for the most part). As this is depleted, your ability to maintain speed is decreased, so is your training as lactic acid builds up (or ions as I recently read in the USMS forums). Taking in those carbohydrate drinks helps replenish that energy source so you can maintain training intensity.

Gatorade is a good suppliment, tho I usually cut it in half with water. This is a personal preference really, but I think the full strength stuff provides too much simple sugar too quickly. The body really needs more water than it does carbo's.

HTH,

eliana2003
May 5th, 2003, 02:26 PM
i do feel an improvement in performance then when I just drink plain water (it is sooo important to keep hydrated here in FL.)- however, does anyone have any ideas about the sugar content/intake from these drinks?? I'm a big fan of gatorade (the other power drink lefts stains on my carpet when I spilled it, which made me wonder about the state of my tummy, so i stopped using it :confused: ) but I am a bit concerned about the high sugar content...

mattson
May 5th, 2003, 03:22 PM
I forget where I read this, but a more ideal "sports drink" would be 8 oz of water, a tablespoon of OJ, and a pinch of salt. (Hmm... it might have been 16 oz of water...) This will not have the excessive salt that most sport drinks have.

It wasn't too my liking, I have too much of a sweet tooth. :)

Leonard Jansen
May 5th, 2003, 03:58 PM
The OJ/Water/salt sports drink was from the book "Eat to Win", which came out about 20 years ago. The state of sports drinks has improved since then, however.

I really like Accelerade, esp. for long steady swims (1+ hour).

Rob Copeland
May 5th, 2003, 05:20 PM
I too am a fan of Accelerade and Endurox R4 from PacificHealth Labs. For more information (nutrition as well as marketing propaganda) see their website www.accelerade.com.

The calories in Accelerade and Endurox run much higher than Gatorade and many of the other sports drinks. In addition, they contain protein that is not found in many other drinks and according to PacificHealth research, protein increases the amount of carbohydrate that gets into the muscle during exercise.

I have had success with both Accelerade and Endurox during marathon swims. By this I mean they stay down, donít cause an upset stomach or worse, and they taste fine in frest, salt and chlorinated water.

eliana2003
May 6th, 2003, 07:13 AM
where can I get accelerade- is it only available online??

Rob Copeland
May 6th, 2003, 08:02 AM
You can get Accelerade at most GNC (General Nutrition Centers) stores as well as many bike shops.

aquageek
May 6th, 2003, 08:46 AM
I found the best prices on Accelerade at outletnutrition.com, plus free shipping.

I have to say it is the best performance drink I've used but it tastes awful. So bad, in fact, that I've shifted back to Gatorade, which is a lot cheaper as well.

I drank that Red Bull stuff a few times and had some interesting hallucinations the rest of the morning.

tom mace
May 8th, 2003, 11:43 PM
My swim coach at the YMCA drinks a large vat of ice water spiked with lemon slices. She claims that the lemons are tasty & make here drink even more. But I did notice one time that she takes quite a few bathroom breaks. If I did the same, I would be afraid that I would lose my lane.

eliana2003
May 9th, 2003, 07:25 AM
the iced lemon water sounds intriguing- that's the down side to trying to keep hydrated: bathroom breaks... when 'ya gotta go, 'ya gotta go! :(

u352
May 9th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Try supplementing the accelerade with more glutamine and adding creating to the endurox. They seem to improve performance.

check out www.afpafitness.com

and do a search in their article database.

But these are supposed to supplement a good diet!!! So that comes first.

I have a nice article that I can send to you on advanced sports nutrition if you would like to read it.

Email me at Thomasd@hublabels.com

but the debate will always go on.

Try keeping a log of what you have eaten and a log on your workouts and see if you can correlate good workouts with certain meals. I tend to work out best after a waffle house all-star breakfast(noon work out).

Cheers,

Paul Smith
May 13th, 2003, 12:14 PM
This discussion takes on even more importance with this weeks nationals in AZ. The "cool" spell has broken here and temperatures will be right around 100 all week (check out: www.azcentral.com/weather).

One of the challenges I find is taking in the right amount of fluids over a long meet day; to little= get dehydrated, to much=feeling bloated.

As to sports drinks, I also prefer Endurox/Accelerade although have been trying Extran lately on the advise of some cycling buddies and really like it. Key for me is drinking water early and frequently in smaller dosages, about 1 hour before a race try to drink some acclerade or Extran, afterwards Endurox.

I also tend to use a lot of "gels" (Gu) on and off during the day which seem to keep my energy up and not feeling "heavy" as I do when eating "human" food!

pbsaurus
May 20th, 2003, 08:18 PM
In Tempe, I found myself drinking over two gallons of fluids each day. It was amazing how the hot dry air just sucked out all the moisture from my body.

hooked-on-swimming
October 27th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Here's an old post about sports drinks to accompany mine in case someone's interested

EyeoreSAM
October 29th, 2004, 11:38 AM
I found a sports drink that seems to work for me better than accelerade-exceed or anything else. It is made by Advocare and its called pos3. It is used by many professional athletes along with their whole line of products.