PDA

View Full Version : Returning to swimming....

Lastrun
November 27th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Greetings:

I am 76, 300 lbs, no big health problems..................I have started to swim once again after 30 years or so with the goal of losing weight and to improve my overall health (Not to mention respect !)What started me was I said to myself,shXt, I am not going out like this!!

My background in swimming was as a lifeguard and basic swimming instructor...never raced...all 50 years ago.

I have started to swim in our condo pool which is 17 yards long, I do 52 laps freestyle in about 40 min.once a day.I enjoy the "workout", I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment and have a feeling of over all wellbeing and I am losing weight (Along with a 1500 cal diet and walking 2 miles each day)

Until I found this forum I had planned on increasing my lap count to 100 each day. I was a happy camper....I still am but........:)

After reading threads here and seeing some of the numbers and times I wonder if I am kidding myself ?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!

norascats
November 29th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Keep posting. You'll never swim like a 19 year old, but you'll have wisdom to share.

Mookie
November 29th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Dude, you're 76, you know by now that you do what works for you, and don't worry what others say. I say absolutely go for 100 laps, and swim however it works for you and feels good. May I be around to do what you're doing.

There are some pretty spectacular swimmers here, but 90% of us just chug happily along, focused on personal goals. I think I read somewhere that less than ten percent of Masters swimmers swim competitively, but that's not something that's obvious in these threads.

james lucas
November 29th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I know a guy who's pushing 80 and swims pretty regularly. His stroke is nothing special, he sometimes swims with paddles and fins, and he seems to compete just once a year - in the pool's "Down the Mississippi" swim in which swimmers log their laps for two weeks. More than once I've seen him log more than 4,000 yards in an afternoon ... I'd guess he worked up to those distances over a number of years ...

nhc
November 30th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I do 52 laps freestyle in about 40 min.once a day.

Until I found this forum I had planned on increasing my lap count to 100 each day.

There was a debate here about what a lap means. What do you mean by 52 laps in 40 min? 52 "round trips" in a 25m pool?

Lastrun
December 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Greetings once again:

Sorry, been on the road with out a laptop (I know,I know hard to believe!)

Thank you all for your comments, funny my wife said about the same as one of the comments above...."just do your thing"!

On the question asked on the laps, I have always called a lap the distance between two walls...once over, once back = two? I have hit 120 of the little devils as of today. I am doing the laps in about 42 seconds per lap....I think I will continue this pace until I seek out the Masters program, continue to build my distance, then face the other shoe (time)when I go "formal".

Again thanks.........................Lastrun

Since I wrote this thread and since reading all the threads I have decided to just do my "thing" until after the new year and then seek out a Masters program.

Thanks to all, what a wonderful community!!!

qbrain
December 14th, 2008, 09:18 AM
The message boards seem dominated by crazy fast people. That is just because the crazy fast people's advice is sought after by the sane people going sane times in a quest to go crazy... fast.

Looks like you already figured out to just do your thing, set your own goals and compete with yourself. Congratulations, you have set yourself up for a very satisfying competitive swimming career, even if you never attend a swim meet.