PDA

View Full Version : advice needed

meicohe8
November 28th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Hi,

were I live there is only one masters progerm.
The problem is that the training hours in are very limted(I work most days from 7 am till 8 PM). which leaves about 1 day a week I can join the team.
In this pool there is almost no option to come and swim on your own (due to other activities).

On the othre hand there is a very good pool near my house with flexible hours but no masters program.

I want to swim at least 3 to 4 times a week but should I give up the mastrer program and work on my own?

i'd love to hear your opinions...

(I can't join both cause it willbe way more then I can afford).

Thanks

pwb
November 28th, 2008, 04:12 PM
It seems to me that your choice is made -- if you want to swim 3 to 4 times a week, but can only make masters team workouts 1 time per week.

Swimming by yourself is definitely harder (for most people) motivation-wise and is not as much fun as with a team. However, there are tons of workouts available on the forums here, so you should at least be able to have ready-made plans to walk into the pool with.

Hey, if you get really motivated, see if you can start a master's team at this other pool you can get into.

ehoch
November 28th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Do the program by your house and post a flyer that you are looking for workout partners - ask the pool staff if they know other people working out on their own - go for a few weeks and see if you meet other people. Most people don't like to swim on their own - maybe you will start the Masters program at that pool ...

meicohe8
November 29th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys for the great advice, I think I will do just that.
Where can I find good woorkouts in this forum?

thanks again...

Typhoons Coach
November 29th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Do the program by your house and post a flyer that you are looking for workout partners - ask the pool staff if they know other people working out on their own - go for a few weeks and see if you meet other people. Most people don't like to swim on their own - maybe you will start the Masters program at that pool ...

I absolutely agree with this advice. You could also talk with the coach regarding the workouts to see if there is any flexibility at all, or if s/he is willing to give you the workout for the day.

pwb
November 29th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Where can I find good woorkouts in this forum?

Go under the workouts forum and check out any number of posts ... some of the ones I like are:

Fun and fast
Tall Paul's

Take this, remix these for your state of fitness and goals for each day and have fun.

Doug Adamavich
December 1st, 2008, 12:12 PM
I would call the National Office and talk with Ashley Gangloff. She can help put you in touch with resources that can help you start your own club. Long-term, that is the best solution if you want to have the workout hours that you want...and others may want too.

It sounds like you have an opportunity. The key is facilities though, you need to get them to buy-in to having a masters team. That is where Ashley, Mel Goldstein, Tom Boak, and others can help out. That would be a good starting point.

In the meantime, grab some of the workouts from this forum or ask your LMSC people if they have any coaches who are willing to recycle their workouts for you.

Good luck!

ande
December 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM
answered your question
here http://www.usms.org/forums/showthread.php?p=161833#post161833