PDA

View Full Version : Advice...on starting?

Lastrun
November 29th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Greetings:

I wonder if I could have some feed back on the following.

I have started to attempt to get in shape and to lose weight, at this point only to enhance my respect for ...me...by me.

I am 76, 6 foot, and when I started to work out I was 315 lbs.I have been swimming now and then for the last 50 years, before that I was a life guard, swimming instructor and all in all a strong and proffesional lifeguard.

I started to use our condo pool every day, it is 17 yards long and I am doing 52 laps once a day. I would say I cover the 52 laps in 37 min +/_.
(I also started walking and am doing 2 + miles at -20 min) Oh, yes...the hard part...am on 1500 cals per day. This has given me a weight lose 23 lbs since mid Sept.

I enjoy my swimming "work out" but after reading the comments and statments on the forum (Not to mention the yards!!)I have to wonder if I am just kidding myself on the swimming work out?

I guess what I am asking is :

1. Should I seek proffesional help?(For swimming that is!)

2. Should I follow a more formal "work out"

Should I set goals other then just losing weight.?

I guess I am wondering if others have gone through this at my age, you see when you hit 76 or there about, you look 76 but many times you still feel like that 20 year old Marine you were at one time!!

Any comments would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks..................

Typhoons Coach
November 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM
First of all, welcome to the fitness world of swimming. As I always suggest, look for a good master's swim program around your neck of the woods. They take people of all shapes, sizes, and ages and I'm sure would be glad to help you out as well!

In my opinion, you are started on the right track with getting on here and starting your own workout, though! So, congrats on that! I would also suggest to keep a little more record (if not formally in a journal) of your times so you can see if you are not losing weight if you are getting more efficient and/or gaining muscle mass.

Grappledunk
November 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I've always found that having a goal to train for, such as finishing an open water race or making a goal time in a pool swim, gives me the motivation to get in there and do the workouts. The fitness tends to follow from there, and then there's the satisfaction of having achieved what you set out to do.

As you pick up speed, the 17 yard pool may be a bit small - I definitely agree that a masters swim team is the way to go. They tend to be all-inclusive environment, no matter your skill, age, or speed.

Good luck!

norascats
November 30th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Have fun!
It might be good to swim with a group. Masters programs are very flexible, you don't have to be as fast as the younger swimmers. You might be faster than some.
There are a number of older gents that come to the Y where I swim early in the day.
If you are enjoying yourself, you will keep working at it.

Redbird Alum
December 1st, 2008, 02:53 PM

Answers:

1. "Professional" help... If you join a Masters Team, you will find the coaches are usually enthusiastic and very professional. In addition, you get the emotional support of a team, and a "regular workout" provided.

2. "Formal work-out"... If you join the team as noted above, the work-outs are part of the package. If you decide to go this alone, then yes, you need to plan your workouts to make them more meaningful to you in achieving your goals. Be warned, solo work-outs are not for everyone. Without the coach and teammates, alot of people simply swim laps and don't push themselves.

And the bonus question... "Goals". Definately, add other goals, both near- and long-term to your plan. You mentioned you want to be fit, not just lose weight. Swimming offers a variety of goals in and of itself, and if you join a team you can add "meeting new people" to simple distance, time, or learning new strokes goals. But look beyond the pool as well.