PDA

View Full Version : What type of dryland exercise do you do?

SaltySwimmer
November 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I am looking to incorporate some dryland into my training and was curious to see what works for others. For those of you who do dryland, what have you tried, how often do you do it, and what kind of results have you experienced? Why do you choose some types of dryland exercise over others?

(Multiple option poll to follow.)

That Guy
November 29th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Other (please specify) : Abdominals

Allen Stark
November 29th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Other-stability ball.
Weights 2x/wk,stationary bike 4x/wk,stability ball 4X/wk(I do bike and ball watching TV.)

Jazz Hands
November 29th, 2008, 04:21 PM
If you aren't lifting weights, you're throwing away free speed.

I also walk and bike, but those are just for fun.

jim thornton
November 29th, 2008, 04:28 PM
tennis in the spring, summer, and fall

elise526
November 29th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Everything on the list except for pilates. My other is jumping rope (I guess some might consider that plyometrics).

Typhoons Coach
November 29th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Medicine ball, resistance bands, endurance (cardio), and plyometrics....I would suggest very little heavy weight-lifting for swimmers, though that is my personal opinion. If you are going to lift weights make the movement dynamic and/or explosive to develop fast-twitch muscles.

SKO
December 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
lift (try and mix between machines and free weights to change things up)
Other -
Try and do some core work 5-10 min before practice
I've also added in basketball recently - works cardio, leg explosion, different co-ordination work, and reaction time in a way (racting to a pass or someone running a different direction).

poolraat
December 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
I started doing yoga about 2 years after I started swimming 9 years ago. Last winter I added spinning to my training (I checked cycling on the poll since spinning wasn't included). In the last month, I've started doing a weight class at the gym called Body Pump. I plan to do this twice weekly through the upcoming months leading up to nationals next spring (and summer).

Chris Stevenson
December 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
In the last month, I've started doing a weight class at the gym called Body Pump. I plan to do this twice weekly through the upcoming months leading up to nationals next spring (and summer).

How do you like Body Pump? My gym has started to offer it and my wife really likes it; I was considering giving it a try next month.

poolraat
December 2nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
I like it so far. Read my comments about it in my blog entry today. I like it better that being in the weight room. I know all the instructors and about half the people taking the class so it's a social thing too.

How do you like Body Pump? My gym has started to offer it and my wife really likes it; I was considering giving it a try next month.

Doug Adamavich
December 2nd, 2008, 04:08 PM
Other

In Season:

Dryland from 0600-0700. Do a whole bunch of circuit exercises at a clinic (Functional Performance Center) in Tempe that Nick Brunelli turned me on to. Total muscle confusion, intense effort, and lots of strength gained. Difficult to describe but worth it.

Out of Season:

Mix in mountain biking and hiking, sometimes rollerblading. Do some dryland but mostly concentrate on different activities. I want to give my body a rest from time to time and stay fresh.

boggs
December 4th, 2008, 03:36 PM
None. Swimming's what I do for exercise, not for sport.