PDA

View Full Version : 10,000 Meter Swim

Shamboola
November 29th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Hello Fellow Masters Swimmers,

About 26 of us did this swim this past Wednesday and I must say it was rather fun and a nice sense of accomplishment. The workout was perfect for such a distance and mixed up kicking sets with those longer sets (4 by 300s etc.) so that we were able to crank out the laps without much monotony.

I have been back in the pool for about 13 months and am 49 and was surprised at how good it felt. Our lane finished in a bit over 3 hours. The last set was for 6 50s and we had a guy who did not swim competitively growing up lead the lane. He was tired but I was really proud of him.

So, what has everyone else's experience been with this swim? Just curious.

Rob

Typhoons Coach
November 29th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Rob, congrats on the 10k swim! I have to say that if I ever pursued something like that I would absolutely have to ice my shoulders for a good week! I'm intrigued now, though, to try it! So thank you for the inspiration!

Shamboola
November 29th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Andy,

It actually was not that bad. We started at 5:30 a.m. so we were halfway through it before we were awake. I ate a power bar during a kicking set after about an hour and sipped Gatorade throughout the swim.

We started with 10 100s, then 2 500s, some kicking, 4 300s, 5 200s, more kicking and so on. I felt the worst at midpoint and then just ignored it and suddenly our coach was telling us we were at 9,000. The key for me was not knowing our yardage so the 9,000 came up quickly.

I go 5 days a week and swim for one hour and do about 2,500-2,800 meters. So, not a heavy load but still enough to provide a base for the 10k.

My advice is to not overthink it. Too much preparation and planning just creates more nerves. I just said the heck with it and decided to do it a few days before and that worked well for me.

I took the next day off and was back in the pool on Friday. We were doing sprints and my tank got empty pretty quickly, but I felt pretty good, all things considered.

Rob

Typhoons Coach
November 29th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Andy,

It actually was not that bad. We started at 5:30 a.m. so we were halfway through it before we were awake. I ate a power bar during a kicking set after about an hour and sipped Gatorade throughout the swim.

We started with 10 100s, then 2 500s, some kicking, 4 300s, 5 200s, more kicking and so on. I felt the worst at midpoint and then just ignored it and suddenly our coach was telling us we were at 9,000. The key for me was not knowing our yardage so the 9,000 came up quickly.

I go 5 days a week and swim for one hour and do about 2,500-2,800 meters. So, not a heavy load but still enough to provide a base for the 10k.

My advice is to not overthink it. Too much preparation and planning just creates more nerves. I just said the heck with it and decided to do it a few days before and that worked well for me.

I took the next day off and was back in the pool on Friday. We were doing sprints and my tank got empty pretty quickly, but I felt pretty good, all things considered.

Rob

Thanks for the advice, Rob! I think I'll give the workout to my swimmers to see how they react first. I have two distance freestylists and I would be interested to see how they handle something like that...

Shamboola
November 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Andy,

Here is the 10,000 meter swim as best as I can reconstruct:

10 x 100 - swim - warm up
2 x 500 - swim - long and strong
1 x 500 pull - buoy no paddles
3 x 400 - descnd 1 to 3
6 x 100 - kick - 2 fly, 2 back. 2 free
1 x 400 pull - buoy no paddles - negative split
4 x 300 - swim - #1 do middle 100 back. #2 do middle 100 breast, #3 and 4 all free.
6 x 100 - kick all free
1 x 300 - pull buoy and paddles
5 x 200 - swim
6 x 100 - kick
1 x 200 - pull buoy and paddles
6 x 100 - swim
2 x 200 - swim
4 x 50 - swim

Then, eat a huge breakfast.

Rob

Typhoons Coach
December 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM
I'll gear them up for this for next week! Thanks!

SKO
December 1st, 2008, 02:12 PM
Shamboola i blame you for the 2.5 hours i spent in the pool sunday morning before sitting down to watch foorball. But it was a nice thing to challenge myself with seeing how i hate distance and the way i constructed the set included lots of 500's and 200's.

SLOmmafan
December 1st, 2008, 05:06 PM
I am generally "over it" by around 7000 m in to the set, but the 10,000 is a great goal workout. Two hours in the pool seems good to me.

the17thman
December 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM
That so sounds like a great challenge! I'd love to do a 10,000 yard or meter workout sometime.

Shamboola
December 2nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
SKO,

If you did that by yourself, you have my TOTAL respect. I had about 6 lane buddies and we were mainly cheering on a few of the slower ones as the morning progressed. I do not know if I could do that by my lonesome.

Rob

SKO
December 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
yeah i was all alone except for the 3 or 4 people who hopped in and out of the lane through my journey. Having others doing it too would prob have helped the boredom factor quite a bit.

About 2k in i was bored.. about 6k in i wanted to stop, but had already invested so much time and effort i figured i might as well stick it out.

Shamboola
December 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
You've got bragging rights as far as I am concerned.

Good job.

Rob