PDA

View Full Version : For a just a mere $149.95, is your kid a sprinter?

Ken Classen
November 30th, 2008, 01:31 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/sports/30genetics.html

For the Helicopter parent who thought they had everything.

rtodd
November 30th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Gatica.

pwb
November 30th, 2008, 05:27 PM
How about a virtually free test: put your kids in a variety of sports, find out which one or ones they love, then nurture their joy? I'm certainly one for striving for excellence, but I came to swimming after I learned that I both sucked and disliked playing basketball, soccer & baseball and after I knew that knocking guys down in football wasn't my cup of tea, either.

KaizenSwimmer
November 30th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Patrick
You didn't mention cross-country running. Did you eliminate that one after those early-season x-training runs along Robious Rd? I seem to recall you hiding your enthusiasm when we did them. I was never that convinced that running was a good use of time for swimmers anyway.
More importantly I agree completely with the wisdom of parents making it possible for kids to experience a range of activities, discover what appeals to them, then express your delight that they've made a healthful choice.
Good to see you here.
Terry

quicksilver
November 30th, 2008, 06:40 PM
That's way too scientific.

With a ten dollar bill, some duct tape, and a tennis ball...you could find out which kid in the play ground is a sprinter.
Line em up. Throw long. First kid to get to the $ ball is your sprinter.

ViveBene
November 30th, 2008, 07:38 PM

With a ten dollar bill, some duct tape, and a tennis ball...you could find out which kid in the play ground is a sprinter.

Now that's funny! :D

The interesting stuff was on the second page of the article: no single gene controls aptitude for sport A or X, and so forth. And someone lacking a requisite gene might be able to compensate in other ways. "Plays well with others" PWO gene is important in team sports.

John McPhee's book on Bill Bradley (in his basketball playing days), A Sense of Where You Are, is priceless. Oliver Sacks has written on the neurological training that goes into playing one sport v. another (his subject was Michael Jordan?).

Typhoons Coach
December 1st, 2008, 10:17 AM
How about a virtually free test: put your kids in a variety of sports, find out which one or ones they love, then nurture their joy? I'm certainly one for striving for excellence, but I came to swimming after I learned that I both sucked and disliked playing basketball, soccer & baseball and after I knew that knocking guys down in football wasn't my cup of tea, either.

Patrick, I couldn't agree with you more!

Typhoons Coach
December 1st, 2008, 10:18 AM

Absolutely hilarious!!

Leonard Jansen
December 1st, 2008, 10:55 AM
The great track coach, Arthur Lydiard, said that his test to find who had marathon potential was to hold a flashlight up to a prospect's ear. If he saw light coming out the other side, he was marathon material.

-LBJ

mattson
December 1st, 2008, 01:13 PM

At first, I thought you meant which of the three objects the kid grabbed would tell you something (merchant, engineer, or athlete).

Typhoons Coach
December 1st, 2008, 01:37 PM
At first, I thought you meant which of the three objects the kid grabbed would tell you something (merchant, engineer, or athlete).

LOL....awesome!

quicksilver
December 1st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Sorry for the confusion. :)

I like the Aussie method of encouraging children to sprint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTgAMm1dwp0

SLOmmafan
December 1st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Sounds like a good way to pigeon hole a kid into something he doesn't really want to do all that much. I have swam with plenty of talented swimmers over my years in USA swimming - and can name of a good number of amazing 12 year olds who have not swam a day in their life after age 16.

alphadog
December 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
It doesn't surprise me that this is happening in Boulder....plenty of money, not much sense.

Redbird Alum
December 2nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Sorry for the confusion. :)

I like the Aussie method of encouraging children to sprint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTgAMm1dwp0

Yee Haw! Good thing they give 'em a head start! And did you notice the incredible SDK (streamlined dinosaur kick) on that bad boy?! :agree: