PDA

View Full Version : Does swimming make your legs thicker or slimmer?

nhc
November 30th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Your legs become stronger and more muscular, but are they thicker or slimmer? Perhaps it dependes on the swimming style as well as different parts of the leg, e.g. thigh versus calf? It will be interesting to hear what real results long time swimmers have got, rather than conjectures.:D

rtodd
November 30th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Compared to??

Doing nothing?, thicker

powerlifting, slimmer....this is where cross training comes in.

nhc
November 30th, 2008, 04:19 PM
powerlifting, slimmer

Powerlifting slims the legs??

elise526
November 30th, 2008, 05:16 PM
What you are asking is a really hard question because I think it depends on what kind of swimming one is doing, what strokes one focuses on, how much one is eating at the time, and how somebody is naturally built.

I had large quad muscles before I ever started swimming, but did not notice that they got smaller or bigger from swimming. They most definitely got smaller when I started running and biking but this was probably because I was in negative energy balance most of the time.

My arms definitely got bigger from swimming, but legs, not really.

rtodd
November 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Powerlifting slims the legs??

I mean swimming makes the legs slimmer compared to powerlifting

The Fortress
December 1st, 2008, 08:56 AM
Swimming made my legs bigger, definitely. But I had been running previously. I do a boatload of kicking and use fins though. That really strengthens the legs.

Typhoons Coach
December 1st, 2008, 09:42 AM
I have to agree with Elise! It depends on what you are doing for a workout, how intense the kick set is (or how hard you are kicking, etc). Also, if you are using fins, proper technique, etc....too many factors to really give an accurate answer.

Redbird Alum
December 1st, 2008, 11:58 AM
I've always been told I have "bird legs" and I've been swimming since I was about 13. Currently I still swim, I don't power lift, I don't run. However I do spend about four to five miles a day walking my ludicrous dog.

No science... just observation.