Brad Schumacher 96
Susan von der Lippe 80,84,88
Carol Taylor 48
Gail Roper 52
Jane Swaggerty-Hill 68
Katrina Radke 88

Rob Copeland
May 5th, 2003, 09:37 AM
I never knew these guys were so old. I wouldn’t have guessed that Jim Montgomery was 76, he still looks so young. And Ron Karnaugh is 92? Come on! I saw his picture on the cover of Swim and he doesn’t look a day over 30.

And while Gail Roper still swims like she is 52, I know for a fact that she is in my mother’s age group!

Seriously, it is wonderful to see these great people still loving the sport and competing after so many years of superior athletic achievement.

shipleywm
May 5th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Sorry about the age mistakes. I just cut and pasted what someone else wrote.

mattson
May 5th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by shipleywm
Sorry about the age mistakes. I just cut and pasted was someone else wrote.

Age mistakes? You mean that Susan von der Lippe isn't (simultaneously) 80, 84, and 88 years old? :p (I'm surprised you missed that one, Rob.)

I was a bit confused about the numbers at first, until I remembered which Olympics I was watching Karnaugh and Santos.

shipleywm
May 5th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Yeah, Rob! Those were ... um... the years which they were Olympians. I knew that all along! :D

joy
May 5th, 2003, 01:40 PM
If I were u I would aplogize for calling them FORMER Olympians.
They are now as they were then, OLYMPIANS. I made the mistake once and will never make it again. Sorry Gail.

shipleywm
May 6th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Holy macaroni! Never did I think that I would get the third degree with that posting. Joy, if I didn't respect the pioneers of the sport that I so dearly love, I would have never gone through the trouble of pointing them out! Out of curiosity, I'll have to ask Mulliken (1960 Olympics in Rome) what his thoughts are on this. In the mean time, much love to the Olympians swimming in Tempe.

Rob Copeland
May 7th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Bill S.

And when you ask Bill M. about his Olympic status, remember not only is he an Olympian, but an Olympic Gold medalist and an International Swimming Hall of Fame member. However most of this credibility was wiped out when he became a lawyer.

So would you address him as Olympic Champion – Hall of Famer Bill Mulliken Esquire?

But, back to the thread. Bill, thanks for your original post!

joy
May 7th, 2003, 11:01 AM
It's too bad u thought is was a third degree. I meant it as an FYI.
I had done it before and was informed that it was politically incorrect to call them former by an Olympian. They should know since they have lived the life. No offense to u, just a little constructive critiqueing. It might save u an embarassing moment in life some day. I have no doubt that u were honoring these great people for their dedication and love of our sport.

Robin Parisi
May 7th, 2003, 11:29 AM
I, too, was chastised in this forum when, soon after the 2000 Olympics, I referred to a participant in a prior Olympiad as a "former Olympian." Actually, former does not necessarily mean "used to be," as in "he/she used to be an Olympian." According to Websters it means "coming before in time," or "of, relating to or occuring in the past." When I said "former Olympian," I meant a participant in an Olympiad other than the 2000 games. In fact, it seems pretty certain that when anyone says "former Olympian" he or she means "a participant in an Olympiad not currently in progress," rather than "has-been great athlete." (I'm not a former Olympian, but I am a lawyer).:)

shipleywm
May 7th, 2003, 12:17 PM
At-a-girl, Robin! :)