PDA

View Full Version : Scott Tucker Freestyle

thewookiee
December 2nd, 2008, 06:19 AM
Don't know how many have seen this video clip. The underwater shots show an amazing amount of stuff.

Great Catch...good rotation...timing at slower speeds...steady kick...

Not totally crazy about the total straight arm recovery but this is a great looking stroke at slower speeds.

http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5478/go-swim-straight-arm-freestyle-with-scott-tucker.html

quicksilver
December 2nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
I bet his lane clears out when the coach says "put on your paddles".

thewookiee
December 2nd, 2008, 07:52 AM
LOL...probably. That's actually when I don't like his stroke too much. I think at the slower speeds he has a beautiful freestyle. But it has worked for him.

One thing I noticed this morning, he seems to also have a "lope" in his stroke. It took me awhile to notice but on the full dvd, it is there.

I am impressed by the amount of overlap he has will swimming at slower speeds, while using a straight/almost straight arm recovery.

GaryHallSr
December 9th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Dear The Wookie,

After watching Stefan Nystrand go 20.9 SC meters 50 free and 45.8 100 m sc in 2007, I decided to make the switch to straight arm freestyle recovery. I never went back.
I like it for the following 3 reasons and recommend everyone at least try it. By the way, it can work for distance (Janet Evans) as well as sprint, just need to use the body differently.

1) Straight arms (with the shoulder rotated back) is a more physiologically relaxed position than bending the elbow. If you don't believe me, rotate your shoulder on land, hold your arm straight up, then bend the elbow and feel the muscles around your shoulder tighten.

2) Since the shoulder flexes (moves forward) a lot easier than it extends (moves backward), in order to do a straight arm recovery over the top, the swimmer must rotate the shoulders back......something we try to get every swimmer to do in sprinting. In other words, it forces the swimmer to do the right thing with his body

3) By swinging the straight arm over the top, there is more energy transfered to the body moving forward than by bending the elbow. It takes full advantage of the weight of the arm to help increase speed.

Think about it. Not since Adolph Kiefer swam and won the 100 meter backstroke in the 1936 Olympics has anyone swum backstroke with a bent elbow. So why do we swim freestyle with a bent elbow? Because that is the way we were taught. That is it.

By the way, what Scott does underwater is more impressive than above....ie high elbow and head down.

Respectfully,

Gary Hall Sr.