PDA

View Full Version : And the SI Sportsman of the year is...

aquageek
December 2nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Take a wild guess.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/magazine/specials/sportsman/2008/12/01/sportsman.2008/index.html?eref=T1

isobel
December 2nd, 2008, 10:30 AM
If *I* were the editor of SI, I might have done a different cover picture of Phelps. I think I get it (I'm a little slow)--he "works" at a pool, hence the wet shirt, etcetera. But I'd rather see more of him . . . I guess they already did the scantily clad Phelps the last Olympics, though (not SI, but maybe Newsweek or one of those other mags). As I recall, his suit was very very very small.

I liked the way he ate on the recent 60 Minutes interview (food shoveling). That SI picture seems boring to me, given his food-shovels, dolphin kicks, and $1 million condo that he has managed to make look like a college dorm room.

Chris Stevenson
December 2nd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Nice article. I was surprised to see my former college teammate Polly (Winde) Surhoff get a mention.

aquageek
December 2nd, 2008, 11:47 AM
Nice article. I was surprised to see my former college teammate Polly (Winde) Surhoff get a mention.

She marry BJ?

Chris Stevenson
December 2nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
She marry BJ?

Yes, pretty soon after college as I recall.

tjrpatt
December 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
That is really cool that he got it. It is pretty shocking that SI would give this to a swimmer. Is Phelps the first one?

Blackbeard's Peg
December 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM

Ask her about the dude who passed her in the Chesapeake Bay swim doing butterfly ;)