justforfun
December 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10503816

@#!@%&* College World Series

Apparently we're not dead yet:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10521354

Redbird Alum
December 3rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
"The difference this time was the need for similar June dates. The Qwest Center Omaha grounds and local hotels could not handle any sort of overlap in schedules."

Not to mention the players from the NCAA CWS might object to the overlap as well, since many might be opting for the Trials instead! One would think these organizations could get together on stuff like this, before playing it out in the public forum!

Blackbeard's Peg
December 3rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
How lame of the NCAA not to come to the table at all... NCAA Division I baseball is a second-class citizen in the sport of baseball (JuCo and D-3 have much more talent due to looser restrictions on players), and if I were an Omaha public official, I'd drag their arses to a conference room and let them have it.

This is a huge opportunity for Omahaians, and for the city to reap the benefits of another week of huge crowds and tourists that (lets face it) would probably never go visit the city anyways. Omaha has opened their arms and wallets for the NCAA and has helped to make their baseball event more successful than it has ever been when it was elsewhere, and this is how they return the favor? :censor:

thewookiee
December 3rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
NCAA= National Coalition Against Athletics

aquageek
December 3rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
NCAA= National Coalition Against Athletics

How is this an NCAA thing? The dates are the dates and Omaha apparently can't handle two crowds. Their loss is someone else's gain. I suspect even if you don't have overlap they still need at least 3-5 days to get folks out of hotels. Who wants to go to Omaha anyway? Let's have it in Las Vegas.

knelson
December 3rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Who wants to go to Omaha anyway? Let's have it in Las Vegas.

Hear, hear. At least somewhere other than Omaha. Vegas would be great because an event like Trials would hardly register as a blip on the radar in terms of the hotel rooms needed.

tjrpatt
December 3rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
You can probably fit everyone at Trials in one of those Vegas hotels. Plus, I am sure that the Palms will build another two hotels by 2012!

justforfun
December 3rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
A little background for those outside the area. Every time the NCAA tells Omaha to bend over and take it or else lose the CWS, the city says "thank you very much and may I have another?"

This time around, Omaha is taking it up the rear to the tune of a brand new, $100+ million baseball stadium that will be used for exactly 2 weeks out of the year. The new stadium will sit adjacent to the Qwest Center, which is the reason why the 2 events cannot overlap.

As for the question "Who wants to go to Omaha anyway?" the answer is lots of swimming fans, given the success of the trials this summer. If you had asked the question before 2008, I would have said "Who knows?" But there is no question that the 2008 trials were wildly successful. The 2012 Olympic Swim trials would barely be a blip on the radar in a city like Las Vegas or some larger metropolitan community where swimming would be buried in the middle of the sports section behind off-season football transactions and the first of 1000 meaningless regular season baseball games.

aquageek
December 3rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Maybe Detroit will bid on the event in 2012. That is another lame city that will have ample hotel and venue space with the US auto industry going out of business.

No one is disputing Omaha did a great job. But, if they don't have the ability to support two smaller events, then they lose out. Won't the Royuals use the new stadium or have other events scheduled there? If not, well then they are pretty poor planners.

knelson
December 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
As for the question "Who wants to go to Omaha anyway?" the answer is lots of swimming fans, given the success of the trials this summer.

True, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't have rather gone somewhere else.

justforfun
December 3rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
The Omaha Royals are up in the air. It appears almost certain that they won't use the new stadium. It will be way too big for their needs. They will either leave town or move to a smaller, new minor league-friendly stadium in the suburbs. Creighton baseball may play a few of their bigger games there but it's too big for them, too. I've heard talk about outdoor concerts in the summer. Many Omahans believe it is poor planning, but the mayor didn't want to be the guy who lost the CWS.

I'm glad many think Omaha is lame...keeps out the weirdos.

aquageek
December 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
I'm glad many think Omaha is lame...keeps out the weirdos.

Or keeps them in.

justforfun
December 3rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Or keeps them in.

This coming from he who voluntarily adopts the monikers "geek" and "magnus von pounderson"

aquageek
December 3rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
This coming from he who voluntarily adopts the monikers "geek" and "magnus von pounderson"

You obviously don't know your Swedish. Magnus Von Pounderson means Kicks Gull's Ass in Swedish.

thewookiee
December 3rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Or keeps them in.

This coming from a guy that lives in a city where people pull pitch forks on each other

ericl
December 3rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
"How lame of the NCAA not to come to the table at all... NCAA Division I baseball is a second-class citizen in the sport of baseball (JuCo and D-3 have much more talent due to looser restrictions on players), and if I were an Omaha public official, I'd drag their arses to a conference room and let them have it."

I belong to two webgroups: This one and one devoted to baseball. I guess I should not be suprised that this outrageous statement went unchallenged. Take a look at any recent BB draft and see what kind of people have been drafted.

KeithM
December 3rd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Vegas is not happening. Hotel space aside there's little chance with all the young swimmers and families that they're going to select Sin City.

Any other guesses for host cities? I'm thinking Austin or Minneapolis.

justforfun
December 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
USA Swimming is going to be looking for a venue capable of and willing to do the 50M temporary pool inside an arena, with 50M secondary pool nearby. They won't be returning to the permanent aquatic center with limited seating. They'll want an arena capable of seating about 15,000-17,000 with the pool installed. I'm assuming this will narrow the field considerably. I think St. Paul, MN was the last one standing along with Omaha last time around.

SLOmmafan
December 4th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Southern California all the way! You have probably the largest percentage of swimmers going to the trials coming out of CA (or at least CA schools) going to the trials anyhow.

justforfun
December 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
New information from the Omaha World Herald.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10521354

The Shoveller
December 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Mutual of Omaha is a big sponsor for USA swimming, they may have exercised some muscle to get the trials back again.