PDA

View Full Version : The Good and the Bad (or Ugly)

alphadog
December 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Which combination best describes your best and worst strokes? If you care to explain, how much disparity is there between your forte and your 4th best stroke?

gobears
December 5th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I couldn't say if this would be the case now as I don't ever swim backstroke (unless it's sandwiched between fly and breast somewhere) but in college my 100 breaststroke time was faster than my 100 backstroke time... Can you guess which is my best and which is my worst?!

hofffam
December 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Backstroke was never meant to be a real stroke. Surely someone on LSD thought it was a good idea to swim without being able to see where you are going. The one and only good thing about backstroke is that you can breathe on demand as long as your are on the surface.

Technically get very little power from my catch, my turnover is too slow, and my kick is weak.

I'm working on the above because I like the IM. But I don't like it. I probably whine about it as much as Fort does everything else that is unfair. :D

alphadog
December 5th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Amy~You sound like me. My breaststroke was considerably faster than my backstroke. I think this was partly due to a lack of emphasis (I don't remember ever doing a backstroke interval set in 12 years of competitive swimming) and partly attitude about the stroke. Swimming blindly as fast as you can towards a concrete wall always seemed a little insane to me...with the added benefit of a bunch of water up the nose.

elise526
December 5th, 2008, 01:55 PM
When I was 19, I was told by a coach that I looked like an old woman when I swam breaststroke.

FlyQueen
December 5th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Fly/breast

Sadly probably about a 15 second difference in a 50. That being said the 50 fly is my baby.

gobears
December 5th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Amy~You sound like me. My breaststroke was considerably faster than my backstroke. I think this was partly due to a lack of emphasis (I don't remember ever doing a backstroke interval set in 12 years of competitive swimming) and partly attitude about the stroke. Swimming blindly as fast as you can towards a concrete wall always seemed a little insane to me...with the added benefit of a bunch of water up the nose.

Yeah, I guess in fairness, I rarely did any backstroke in practice in college. And in high-school I only did it when the entire group did or if it was in an IM set. I like the statement about swimming blindly as fast as you can toward a concrete wall seeming insane. Yes. It does.

The Fortress
December 5th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I'm the first to weigh in with the back/breast combo. Huge disparity. No idea how to swim breaststroke whatsoever. :afraid: So I just don't usually. :)

slknight
December 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Fly/breast

Sadly probably about a 15 second difference in a 50. That being said the 50 fly is my baby.

This exact same thing.

Kurt Dickson
December 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I'm the first to weigh in with the back/breast combo. Huge disparity. No idea how to swim breaststroke whatsoever. :afraid: So I just don't usually. :)

Me too. If there was a 300 IM, I would be a total bad a$$...alas 1:40 on my breaststroke leg does not quite cut it. Any attempt to improve it, is met with sorrow, bitter disappointment, and sore knees (and finally the realization that it is the slowest, most inefficient stroke there is--so who cares--in short, back to bitter again).

Doug Adamavich
December 5th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Never been good at backstroke. This is strange because I am a decent freestyler and both are long-axis strokes.

Always been above average at both fly and breast. Mostly swam fly and IM in High School/Age Group but then switched to breast and IM in college.

Dunno what it is about back, some people have a knack for it...

meldyck
December 5th, 2008, 05:01 PM
My backstroke has been declared illegal in all states identified as either red or blue in the last election - and that's not a technical matter, just one of aesthetics.

pwolf66
December 5th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I voted Fly/Breast but it's a toss up between Fly or Free being my best stroke.

I'm a decent 4 stroke swimmer. Maybe Breast is my worst because I usually only swim it as part of an IM and so it's a train wreck because of that.

But on that note, I know I need to train my Breast more, especially if I'm going to do more 200 IMs.

david.margrave
December 5th, 2008, 05:53 PM
free/back.

USMSarah
December 5th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Back/Breast... I want to like breaststroke, I really do... it would be nice to be competitive in an IM sometime in my life.

norascats
December 7th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I'm a freestyler all the way. I can't seem to get the parts together in the fly.

pwb
December 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I couldn't vote because, aside from freestyle, all my strokes are about the same level, though breaststroke is certainly the most frustrating. That's why I love the 400 IM; as long as you've got some endurance and are passable in each stroke, the sprinters are scared off and you can place well.

That Guy
December 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I misread the question and voted wrong. I should have voted fly/breast. 9 second difference between my 50 fly and my 50 breast. I've been working on my distance per stroke in breaststroke, so that my IM's might become less revolting.

Allen Stark
December 8th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Definitely BR best and BK worst.At a sprint pentathlon my 50 BR was 4.5 sec faster than my BK and the BK was the 2nd event of course so I was fresher.

3strokes
December 9th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Free/Breast
I only (or seem to) do BR when I'm really just treading water.......
and no matter how hard I try my left leg does a flutter kick while
my right does what could pass as a BR kick.
I'd get disqualified before even surfacing for a breath.

Mookie
December 9th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I've been depressed for two days now. I was swimming in a pool out of town, and a guy hops in the lane next to me. We're both doing free, and he's catching up, which starts getting me depressed. Then he stops, and I feel better.

Next, he starts doing 100 free 100 back nonstop. I watch him as I get ready for some sprints, and he looks like he is the slowest, most casual, most relaxed backstroker in the world. I start doing my 100 free sprints, going all out, and the bastard just glides past me - doing back! Again and again he passes me doing that easy, lanquid backstroke. I'm still depressed. He left before I did, so at least I swam further. I'm still depressed anyway.

That Guy
December 10th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I've been depressed for two days now. I was swimming in a pool out of town, and a guy hops in the lane next to me. We're both doing free, and he's catching up, which starts getting me depressed. Then he stops, and I feel better.

Next, he starts doing 100 free 100 back nonstop. I watch him as I get ready for some sprints, and he looks like he is the slowest, most casual, most relaxed backstroker in the world. I start doing my 100 free sprints, going all out, and the bastard just glides past me - doing back! Again and again he passes me doing that easy, lanquid backstroke. I'm still depressed. He left before I did, so at least I swam further. I'm still depressed anyway.

Mookie, if it makes you feel any better, I was wearing transparent fins.

Syd
December 10th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Free/back I just can't swim backstroke. It's all thrashing limbs, sinking butt and worst of all....WATER UP THE NOSE. :drown: It's a NIGHTMARE for me. I kid you not. I HATE the stroke. I am actually faster at breaststroke than I am at backstroke.

Having said that, I recently bought a noseclip and have been trying to do some back every practice. The noseclip helps but I can't keep my head still and my butt still sinks and my knees pop out of the water. I shall persevere. :)

Syd
December 10th, 2008, 11:42 PM
that easy, lanquid backstroke

Oh, I know what you mean. It pains me to watch that long languid backstroke. It looks so easy but for us mere mortals it is a struggle to stay afloat.:badday: