PDA

View Full Version : Runny nose while swimming

njthomas
December 6th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I've read a few threads that seem to brush around the subject, but none directly address it. When swimming freestyle the correct way (i.e. face underwater, etc.), I always seem to develop a runny nose. When I exit the pool, I blow my nose once or twice and there is no more congestion. It isn't a long lasting issue, just one exists during swimming.

When swimming incorrectly, with my head only inches above water, there seems to be no problem. The problem only appears to occur when water makes contact with my nose.

I swim in two pools. One is definitely chlorinated. I'm not certain about the other. It may be chlorine; it may be salt water.

Anyone have any idea what the issue might be? Is the only solution a nose clip?

norascats
December 7th, 2008, 06:40 PM
He who fears water up the nose will never be a good swimmer.

inflictfreedom
December 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM
He who fears water up the nose will never be a good swimmer.

It's a pre-requisite. Learn to love the clarity of sinus post swim.

njthomas
December 8th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Let me make sure I'm getting this. Great gobs of mucus is just part of the game? A) gross, and B) back to the pool.

bigirishape
December 8th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Let me make sure I'm getting this. Great gobs of mucus is just part of the game? A) gross, and B) back to the pool.

Yep, you just try to make it into the trough and hope everybody else does the same. Most all swimmers I know start off doing a 50 or 100, stopping to blow, then getting on with the practice.

knelson
December 8th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Most all swimmers I know start off doing a 50 or 100, stopping to blow, then getting on with the practice.

Seriously? Yes, swimming tends to clear out the sinuses to a certain extent, but "great gobs of mucus" as njthomas said seems a little unusual to me.

bigirishape
December 8th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Seriously? Yes, swimming tends to clear out the sinuses to a certain extent, but "great gobs of mucus" as njthomas said seems a little unusual to me.

I'm sure the phrase "great gobs of mucus" is a relative term. To some folks that's normal nose-blowing quantity. To me, who used to suffer from chronic sinus infections, a "great gob of mucus" is a hefty amount.

When I swam in high school and college, the guys I swam with would stop and blow their noses in the gutter in the first few 100's of practice. So yeah, in my experience, that's a normal thing. Just keep swimming and trust in the chlorine and personal habits of your pool-mates.

orca1946
December 8th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I think that this is a normal reaction that wer all go thru at the start of practice> Keep swimming!