PDA

View Full Version : Nats at the Hall of Fame

luv2fly
March 4th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Does anyone know how they will set up areas for teams? I was there with my sister and she swam there and there seemed like there was little to no shade and very little room for everybody. It's not like Sarastoa where the spectator area was covered.What's going to happen, anyone know?

swim53
March 5th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Last time I competed in Ft. L (LC Nationals) the stands DID have a covering and, believe me, we all used those stands.

jean sterling
March 5th, 2002, 07:45 PM
I remember that there were covered stands in Fort Lauderdale as well.

luv2fly
March 6th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Are you sure about the covered stands? We were there a year and a half ago and there was no cover over the stands. Did they recently do this?

jean sterling
March 6th, 2002, 06:46 PM
I took a picture of the pool when I was at the Y nationals three years ago, and I can see the covered stands in the picture.

Tom Ellison
March 7th, 2002, 06:33 PM
They had cover when I swam there is 1995 (SCY Nationals). The Hall of Fame Pools are great! The folks who run the complex are true professionals.

ATLPSU
March 8th, 2002, 01:11 PM
I get down there now about once a month for business and stay across the street at the Double Tree so I can swim there.I also worked out with FLST the summer of '79. The stands are not covered, but they will cover them for big meets.

zoomer
April 2nd, 2002, 04:57 PM
Y Nat'ls. psych sheets can be found at:

http://www.ymcaswimminganddiving.org

Fritz
April 27th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Can someone affiliated with the meet say for sure what kind of shade we can expect for the meet.

Is there room anywhere for a team to pitch a tent?

Rob Copeland
April 27th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Hey Fritz

This thread was for the 2002 YMCA Masters Nationals. Iím thinking some of the palm trees have grown some more shade in the past 3 years :D

Fritz
April 27th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Wasn't paying attention. I'll post somewhere a little more current.

Betsy
April 27th, 2005, 05:01 PM
The meet information says no shade over the grandstands. I'm worried about finding shade.

Jeff Commings
April 27th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Folks,

There is another area directly across from the main pool stands. You have go up some stairs to get to it, but it is permanently covered. Get there quick, because the space is about a third of the actual grandstands.

If you're a well-endowed team (or if you swim in the outdoors often) you would do well to buy a canopy for these occasions. I've seen teams bring canopies that can fit about 100 people under them (those at Phoenix nationals probably remember them).

Every problem has a solution. -- Andrew Beckett, "Philadephia"

breaststroker
April 27th, 2005, 10:43 PM
There was a covering over the stands for Y Nats in '98. I'm sure if they are not covered now, they will be for the meet.

mbmg3282
April 28th, 2005, 12:58 AM
There will be no shade in the grandstand area. Insurance restrictions prevent them from putting up large tenting as they once did.

There will be shade all around the deck area to keep swimmers out of the sun. The meet host has indicated that this should take care of the athletes. As a point of reference, the Tempe Nationals did the same thing. Shade was provided mainly on the pool deck and it was sufficient for 1900 athletes. This meet will only have 1600 athletes.

breaststroker
April 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM
In Tempe, there was also a covering for the top 10 or so rows of the bleachers. The shade seating around the pool was VERY crowded.

Paul Smith
April 29th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Mark.....you've got to be kidding? As well run as that meet was, especially for the number of swimmers, the lack of shade outside the deck area was a major issue.

I've spoken with dozens of people who attended and said that they wouldn't go back again because of the heat, lack of shade and crowded conditons (I would, but we have a condo we went back to to get shade).

Sad that other meets have been able to have shade and our nationals will not. It basically renders the open stands wasted space.

Fritz
April 30th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I'm considering the option of renting a 20x20 tent for the meet. Can someone tell me for certain there would be a place to put it where we wouldn't have to take it down every day?

jerry clark
April 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Debbie Cavanaugh would be the best person to answer your question Fritz. Shes patrolling on the championship committee portion of the discussion forum now; maybe she'll take a look at this thread before she signs off. Shes the meet liaison who lives there and trains there. Jerry

debbie cavanaugh
May 1st, 2005, 05:00 PM
Hi everyone,

The grandstand will not be covered due to insurance issues.

Shade will be provided in the following places.
In front of the grandstands along the compettion area.
Along the west pool around the deck with bleechers.
Between the East pool & West pool there will be bleechers & shade.
There is an upstairs area that will also have bleechers & shade.
There is an area by the baby pool that is shaded as well.
The vendor area will also have shade.
The awards-registration area in the back of the museum is air conditioned with plenty of space.

You may not rent a 10 X 20 tent & set it up on the pool deck or anywhere at the facility.

I have a meeting on Tuesday with the facility & will check that I have not missed anything.

Debbie

swimr4life
May 1st, 2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks Debbie!

Karen Duggan
May 2nd, 2005, 01:38 PM
I don't think I'd go back to Tempe again because of the pollution. I ended up in the ER Saturday night with pharyngitis and laryngitis and had to drink some disgusting green stuff to numb my throat. I couldn't swallow, it was so swollen and uncomfortable. The doctors chalked it up to the very bad air quality.

Not fun. :(

pbsaurus
May 2nd, 2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Karen Duggan
I don't think I'd go back to Tempe again because of the pollution. I ended up in the ER Saturday night with pharyngitis and laryngitis and had to drink some disgusting green stuff to numb my throat. I couldn't swallow, it was so swollen and uncomfortable. The doctors chalked it up to the very bad air quality.

Not fun. :(

Wow, I got really sick at Tempe too. I chalked it up to a cold or the flu, but that could explain it.

Karen Duggan
May 2nd, 2005, 04:21 PM
It sucked! I had to take a cab to the hospital (by myself as I didn't want to ruin my roommate's swims), spent several hours there, took a cab back, and then had to swim in the am. I swam the 200 breast and then scratched the 200 IM!

debbie cavanaugh
May 4th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I left one area of shade out. It is a 30 X30 tent in the area on the grass where the big statue is. The vendors are in this area also but they have their own tents.

Debbie

Paul Smith
May 5th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Debbie,
I'm wondering if you would be able to clarify exactly what "for insurance reasons" means in pertaining to your not having shade in the grandstands?

It seems odd to me that this could be an issue, a more important concern would be the potential health risks associated with not having enough shade?

Also, if other meets (USS) have done so in the past.....why is ther a problem with a masters meet? Was this simply a finacial decison?

knelson
May 5th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Paul Smith
Mark.....you've got to be kidding? As well run as that meet was, especially for the number of swimmers, the lack of shade outside the deck area was a major issue.

I agree. Because of the heat and the sun I tried to spend as little time at the pool as possible. The estimated timeline and real-time results make this much easier to do, but still, it kind of stinks that you can only stand to be at the pool for your own events. I would go back to Temple, but this was a definite negative.

mbmg3282
May 6th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Paul,

I am not Debbie, I am aware of the situation. Due to an accident in 1999 involving the large shade structure that used to be put up for meets, the insurance will no longer cover them if it is used. This has been the policy for several year and applies to all meets, not just masters. This year, the facility hosted the YMCA Nationals (kids meet) without problem. The meet host now provides shade structures on the pool deck and in the grassy area in an attempt to get everyone out of the sun. In the past, this was not done.

The Championship Committee (which you were a member of at the time of this decision) was aware of this situation when we certified their bid. As you recall, this was all done by email due to the lack of qualified bidders at the time of convention.

debbie cavanaugh
May 7th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Mark has answered correctly. The covering of the grandstands applies to all events held at the pool!

I know I am going to make people mad when I say this. But quit your gripping about all the facilities that are talked about in this forum.
Ft. Lauderdale stepped up when there were no other bids.
When other facilities hear what is going on no wonder they don't want to bid for the nationals.

Lets try to be positive & be supportive of these facilities & do what we can to have a great meet.

debbie cavanaugh
May 7th, 2005, 08:34 AM
One more thing I incorrectly stated that there will be tents in front of the grandstands.

Debbie

Paul Smith
May 7th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Debbie,
There is pretty big difference between "whining" and making sure people are prepared for what could be harsh conditions. As we've seen in this thread people had a rough time in Tempe with an overcrowded pool deck an minimal shade.

Rather than being defensive maybe you should consider offering up some possible solutions such as recomending a local company that people can rent pop tents from. Keep in mind that 1600+ swimmers of all ages and health conditions coming to a meet that may or may not have rook to get out of the sun is something folks need to be ready for.

As for Ft. Lauderdale "stepping up" I applaud them for doing so and like many others really look forward o coming to the meet. The bigger issue about other teams not wanting to host nationals was how the championship comittee was handling bids, something they have addressed.

swimmin in texas
May 7th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I agree with you, Paul! Just returning from a long absense from Masters competition I am dissappointed to see that only 1600 swimmers are competing in a National event. Why are we not growing when the largest population base in the history of the world is marching through the age groups hosted in our sport while health and fitness is at the forefront of the marketplace mindset like never before?!

One reason might be that we need to be more "friendly" to those participating. The visual I have in reading the report from Tempe and the comments on shade at this year's event is a bunch of sweltering but relentless devotees standing (because there is no place to sit under shade ) under a small patch of shade on the hot deck in sardine fashion waiting for their event and wishing they were home in the a/c. I hope I'm wrong. "Quit whining - you aren't going to melt" or "go shop at the vendor booths - they have plenty of shade" doesn't work for me. This is a legitimate concern.

Debbie or others in charge of the facility: may we have suggestions, options or alternatives? For example, I have already packed a (small) 4x4 freestanding tarp that is large enough for 2-3 chairs under. Will I be booted off to the sardine area if I try to set that up?

BTW - I assert that the problem with not having enough bidders for hosting a contest is not as much about the attitudes of the participants as much as it is about the economics making sense. If we attracted 5000 swimmers to an event, hosts would be standing in line!

Karen Duggan
May 7th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Debbie

I didn't have a problem with shade in AZ, but I did have a problem with the air quality. I realize that no one has control over the air quality the day of a swim meet (or any other day).

I also agree with Paul. It is not whining to want to make sure there is shade especially when travelling to states known for their sun (AZ, FL, CA).

I'm not offended at your comment, but I guess more surprised. I'm not really sure where it comes from...

swimr4life
May 7th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Debbie,

We DO appreciate Ft. Lauderdale for stepping up and bidding to host Nationals. All the hard work you and others have done to prepare and plan the meet is appreciated too.

Please don't take everyone's concerns for staying in the shade personally. We've just done a lot of preparation and planning for the meet too and want to perform to the best of our abilities.... thats all.;)

debbie cavanaugh
May 7th, 2005, 05:33 PM
I missed stated earlier, in fact two times "that there will be tents in front of the grandstands." There will not be tents is front of the grandstands.

The shaded areas are:
On the pool deck the east & south wall will have bleechers & shade.
The upstairs area on the south side of the pool will have bleechers & shade.
In the vendor area there will be a 30 X 30 shaded area.
In between the East & West pool there will be bleechers & shade.
In the back near registration & awards is a banquet hall that is air conditioned that can be used.
The walkways outside the pool are shaded most of the day.
There is a breeze way out in the front that is shaded.

After hosting the YMCA kids nationals with over 1800 swimmers for the last 5 years with this tenting arrangement, there seems to be plenty of shade & room for the athletes.

I would suggest that while you are at the meet, drink plenty of fluids & use your sunscreen, even in the shade the reflection off the decks & pool could cause a sunburn.....

Karen Duggan
May 8th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the advice.

TheGoodSmith
May 9th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I would liken the Tempe Nationals to a Masters Prisoner of War Camp. I lived under a 4 square foot piece of shade for 3 days.

Hopefully Fort Lauderdale will have more shade.

John Smith

jerry clark
May 9th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Hey Debbie, maybe you can get me on Travis McGee's "The Busted Flush" while at the meet......I read every one of John McDonald's books, and when first visited ISHOF 6-7 years ago, I realized it was the docking place for Travis' boat... I bet there would be a cool room in it for sure - were those stories not fictional.

Meanwhile thank you for the two years you've put in as the meet liaison. With Stu leaving right after ISHOF was awarded this meet, and even if he were there, its hard to realize how much work, time and energy it takes to coordinate everything for our meets, and I'm hopeful we can continue to find ways to make them more simplified. As things are now, we fill up 4 or 5 days at meets, and we're lucky to be at ISHOF with its two 50m pools which should allow us to have both excellent warm up/down space plus finishing each day's swims earlier than would be the case at most venues.

Jerry

TheGoodSmith
May 9th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Debbie,

So if we bring our own portable tarps or shade covers to set up, where specifically can we stick them?

John Smith
:confused:

Sabretooth Tiger
May 9th, 2005, 05:52 PM
My recollection of Tempe was that there was plenty of shade available in the upper reaches of the grandstands under the permanent cover over those portions of the stands. That's where my team (Rose Bowl) camped out and it was never a problem.

And being from L.A., I never noticed poor air quality.

The Tempe nationals were great as was the beer, tequila and nourishment found in the surrounding locales.

One swimmer's opinion.

carl

Karen Duggan
May 9th, 2005, 10:09 PM
John,

I can't believe you asked her where you could stick them?!:p

A juvenile answer may be forthcoming :)

TheGoodSmith
May 10th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Karen,

People are too serious on this site. I'm sure she will tell me where to stick it.

Remember the cardinal rule of Masters Swimming:
It's not how FAST your are..... it's how FAT you are.

John Smith:)

breaststroker
May 10th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Tempe was a great experience for me, too. I stayed in the shade when I needed to in the upper reaches of the grandstand, but my muscles stayed nice and loose because of the heat. As a result, I had 4 lifetime best times. IUPUI may be a fast pool, but the cold deck temp keeps me from swimming really well. Gimme the heat any day!!

breaststroker
May 10th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Tempe was a great experience for me, too. I stayed in the shade when I needed to in the upper reaches of the grandstand, but my muscles stayed nice and loose because of the heat. As a result, I had 4 lifetime best times. IUPUI may be a fast pool, but the cold deck temp keeps me from swimming really well. Gimme the heat any day!!

Glenn
May 10th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Wayne,

You're repeating yourself!

Glenn

shipleywm
May 10th, 2005, 08:45 PM
I had the meet of my life at Tempe. No pollution problems whatsoever, and there was PLENTY of shade!!! Let me repeat that. There was PLENTY of shade!!! I practically drowned at Indy though. Migrain headaches are no fun. Hopefully, I'm just better at meets held outdoors...