PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for those interested in coaching?

bigirishape
December 9th, 2008, 09:06 AM
As I get older, the more I think I'd like to try my hand at being a swim coach. Some of my best times growing up were spent in the pool, and no small number of those times due to a really good coach. I've always had a desire in the back of my mind to be a coach, I just never fully accepted that until recently. So now I need to find out what makes a coach into a Coach.

Any suggestions (aside from the obvious "become an assistant coach")? Books to read? Videos to watch? Websites to visit? Etc...? All suggestions welcome and appreciated.

I was thinking of picking up The Swim Coaching Bible (http://www.amazon.com/Swim-Coaching-Bible-Dick-Hannula/dp/0736036466/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I13VJTDUMCSMY7&colid=33BRQIMNW4BIZ) from Amazon for starters. But I have no clue where to go from there.

Thanks!

pwolf66
December 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM
You could try what I did and speak to the head coach of a local team about volunteering say 1/day per week just to give it a try. Seriously, go speak to them, initially they might be surprised but, at least in my case, after he thought about it he was very interested in giving it a try.

This works on many levels:

- gives you a chance to see if that is what you want to do
- you can learn from established coaches on how to interact with the kids on a coaching level
- You can find out if it is something you might be good at and if you can take your experience and effectively pass it on.
- If you have an aptitude and you are a fit for the local team, you might be able to transition to a paid coaching position (if that's your desire)

But there are some fundamentals that you need to take care of first (or at least during)

- Go to USA Swimming and sign up for a background check (must)
- Take and pass the Safety Training for Swim Coaches on-line test at www.usaswimming.org (http://www.usaswimming.org)
- Take at a minimum Water Safety Training for Coaches. In my case, I am taking the full Lifeguard Training as the Water Safety training is not being offered.
- Register with USA-S as a coach once all the above is completed.

There may be other requirements in your local area but these are the core USA-S requirements.