PDA

View Full Version : Drills

laineybug
May 5th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Hey, Group! I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned over the past couple of months reading this forum. Thanks so much.

About two months ago the coach with whom I was working decided to take a hiatus. As a result I've been, more or less, doing the same things she had me doing just before she left. Recently, I've been searching this forum and the web for drill suggestions that, hopefully, will help keep my workout fresh and interesting, as well as improve my strokes... and I've found some good ones too... scattered here and there. Then I started thinking (uh oh), wouldn't it be nice if there was one spot where a person could post their favorite drills and others could look to find drills? So thats what I'm proposing... Post your favorite drill here for others to use when they need help keeping their workout interesting or to improve their strokes.

laineybug
May 5th, 2003, 02:02 PM
I'll start us off with an oldie but goodie--

Catch Up Drill

Stroke slowly with right arm leaving the left arm extended in front of you until the finger tips of the right hand touch the fingertips of the left hand. Leave right arm extended in front of you. Stroke slowly with left arm leaving the right arm extended in front of you until the finger tips of the left hand touch the fingertips of the right hand. Concentrate, on high elbow and long reaches. Can be done as a pull drill alone, with or without a pullbouy.

ratthedog
May 5th, 2003, 02:18 PM
I personally like breathing to both sides while swimming freestyle slowly. It helps me roll more than usual while extending my reach as far as possible out front. Allow the hands to "catch up" as mentioned in the previous posting. Learn to understand which axis each stroke functions on and work your body as much as your extremities. Free and Back are "long axis" while Breast and Fly are "short axis".

ratthedog
May 5th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Start in the water and swim 25's with as few strokes as possible. The object is to learn how to be streamlined and increase your efficiency.

Your body position for the glide (after the kick) should be virtually the same as your streamline off the wall. You should be completely stretched out with head down, toes pointed back and the soles of the feet together. Keep at it until you can get across the pool with three (3) stokes or less. (It's possible since 3 is average for me) You can only glide until your body position falls apart. If you continue to glide your legs will sink and your stroke falls apart, defeating the purpose of the drill.
If anyone has any particular breaststroke questions, please feel free to contact me at ratthedog@surfinbox.com

laineybug
May 5th, 2003, 03:17 PM
sorry folks, I didn't mean to start this in the Central Forum... really should go in general. As my daughter tells me, sometimes the blonde just takes over and there's nothing you can do about it.

Beards247
May 5th, 2003, 03:37 PM
I seem to be getting a lot of benefit out of side kicking drills for free/back. This involves kicking with my left side down towards the bottom of the pool, left arm stretched out in front, head focused on proper head position for each stroke. Kick for a 6 to 12 beat, left arm pull fully through water rolling onto your right side. Right arm completes recovery, and now you are on your right side with arm stretched out.

I do this for extended distances and mixed w/ other drills. Example:
1000 - broken by 200. 200 Fr side kick, 200 free focus on long stroke, 200 Breast Stroke, 200 back side kick, 200 regular back focus on long stroke.

I also mix this into stroke drills or kick sets. General mantra, the shorter the distance, the less kicks (3k's @ 50, 6@100, etc).

I do this in place of catch-up. Reason being, catch-up (for me) does not accurately reflect the stroke. This drill more closely approximates body position and therefore muscle usage to regular swimming.

I don't think this drill has made much of a difference in my top end speeds (yet), but my cruising speeds have noticibly improved + the strokes feels awsome!

Chris