PDA

View Full Version : BullFrog, Icy Hot, Gold Bond added as Sponsors

matysekj
December 15th, 2008, 11:17 AM
U.S. Masters Swimming is pleased to announce Chattem, Inc. has renewed its sponsorship with UltraSwim as the Official Shampoo, and added BullFrog suntan protection, Icy Hot and Gold Bond powder as official partners as well.

Read the press release here (http://www.usms.org/news/newsitem.php?n=51).

chaos
December 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM
U.S. Masters Swimming is pleased to announce Chattem, Inc. has renewed its sponsorship with UltraSwim as the Official Shampoo, and added BullFrog suntan protection, Icy Hot and Gold Bond powder as official partners as well.

bull frog was my favorite sunscreen until i read this:

I found a great site that has a database on sunscreens--effectiveness
and toxicity:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens2008/index.php?

bull frog products contain oxybenzone:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxybenzone

thewookiee
December 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Alright! Chattanooga based companies stepping up. Bullfrog sponsors a lcm age group meet here in the summer. They have great products.

chaos
December 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Alright! Chattanooga based companies stepping up. Bullfrog sponsors a lcm age group meet here in the summer. They have great products.

i guess you didn't visit my links. perhaps wookiees needn't worry about overexposure.

Oxybenzone
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oxybenzone[1]

IUPAC name (2-Hydroxy-4-methoxyphenyl)-
phenylmethanone
Other names Oxybenzone
Benzophenone-3
Identifiers
CAS number 131-57-7
SMILES
[show]
Properties
Molecular formula C14H12O3
Molar mass 228.24 g/mol
Melting point
62-65 C

Boiling point
224-227 C

Except where noted otherwise, data are given for
materials in their standard state
(at 25 C, 100 kPa)
Infobox references
Oxybenzone (trade names: Eusolex 4360, Escalol 567) is an organic compound used in sunscreens. It is a derivative of benzophenone. It forms colorless crystals that are readily soluble in most organic solvents. A 2008 study by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found the compound to be present in 96.8% of human urine samples analyzed as part of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.[2]
It is used as an ingredient in sunscreen and other cosmetics because it absorbs UV-A ultraviolet rays. In the EU products intended for skin protection with 0.5% or more oxybenzone must be labeled "Contains Oxybenzone".[3]
This organic compound has been shown to penetrate into the skin where it acts as a photosensitizer. This results in an increased production of free radicals under illumination, which makes this substance a likely photocarcinogen.[4] This study is of benzophenone-3, AKA oxybenzone, and two other sunscreen active ingredients. Two years after the study this information is now reaching consumers,[5] but this photocarcinogen can still be found in many sunscreens.
Oxybenzone is a derivative of benzophenone, which is well known to attack DNA when iluminated. It generates strand breaks and various photoproducts.[6] Already in 1993 the use of oxybenzone had been strongly criticized, based on its similarity to benzophenone.[6]
The photomutagenic properties of these compounds might be a contributing factor to the increased melanoma incidence that has been found in sunscreen users (see sunscreen controversy).

thewookiee
December 15th, 2008, 06:09 PM
i did read the links. one, I don't take much stock in anything on Wikipedia. two, like most websites that have had companies do research, how does one know the results are somewhat tailored to meet the outcome the paying company desires?

I like bullfrog and their products. if you don't, then don't use them. i will continue to support a local company that hasn't had any known problems with their products.

chaos
December 15th, 2008, 06:14 PM
i did read the links. one, I don't take much stock in anything on Wikipedia.

well then wookster....how bowt the CDC (That stands for center for disease control)

http://www.ewg.org/node/26212

chaos
December 15th, 2008, 06:20 PM
two, like most websites that have had companies do research, how does one know the results are somewhat tailored to meet the outcome the paying company desires?

another little tidbit not to be overlooked from the afore mentioned article:

At the request of industry lobbyists, including Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, who represented the Cosmetic Toiletry and Fragrance Association, the agency has delayed final sunscreen safety standards for nearly 30 years.

thewookiee
December 15th, 2008, 06:31 PM
really? is that what it stands for? thanks for that kaizen moment. i am really glad to know that after all those years of living near atlanta(hq for the cdc) that is what the cdc actually stands for. after all, i thought it was just some hot night club downthere.

gee, while i will give more weight to the cdc(center for disease control as chaos informed me)

Bullfrog's products are safe, if you and everyone else use them the way the directions say too but i bet most people use the old theory "if this amount is good...then more will even be better" attitude.

chaos
December 15th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Bullfrog's products are safe, if you and everyone else use them the way the directions say too but i bet most people use the old theory "if this amount is good...then more will even be better" attitude.

are you shillin' for b-frog?

lets see..... wookiee says safe.

these people say not safe: (and i'm sure they're all smarter than me)

btw, ever wonder just what that fragrant slick that floats on the top of any public outdoor pool contains? it would certainly hasten the demise of any bullfrog that happened to swim through it. (and leave kaizen out of it.... it makes you look petty)

References
Allen JM, Gossett CJ, Allen SK. 1996. Photochemical formation of singlet molecular oxygen in illuminated aqueous solutions of several commercially available sunscreen active ingredients. Chemical research in toxicology 9(3): 605-609.
Balmer ME, Buser HR, Muller MD, Poiger T. 2005. Occurrence of some organic UV filters in wastewater, in surface waters, and in fish from Swiss lakes. Environmental Science & Technology 39(4): 953-962.
Bryden AM, Moseley H, Ibbotson SH, Chowdhury MM, Beck MH, Bourke J, et al. 2006. Photopatch testing of 1155 patients: results of the U.K. multicentre photopatch study group. The British journal of dermatology 155(4): 737-747.
Calafat AM, Wong L-Y, Ye X, Reidy JA, Needham LL. 2008. Concentration of the sunscreen agent, benzophenone-3, in residents of the United States: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-2004. Environmental health perspectives 116: Available online March 21, 2008.
CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review). 1983. Final Report on the Safety Assessment of Benzophenones-1, -3, -4, -5, -9, and -11. Journal of the American College of Toxicology 2(5): 42.
CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review). 2002. BENZOPHENONE AND BENZOPHENONE-1, -2, -3, -4, -5, -6, -7, -8, -9, -10, -11, AND - 12. Journal of the American College of Toxicology 2(5).
Cuderman P, Heath E. 2007. Determination of UV filters and antimicrobial agents in environmental water samples. Analytical and bioanalytical chemistry 387(4): 1343-1350.
Danovaro R, Bongiorni L, Corinaldesi C, Giovannelli D, Damiani E, Astolfi P, et al. 2008. Sunscreens cause coral bleaching by promoting viral infections. Environmental health perspectives 116(4): 441-447.
FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration). 1978. Report on Sunscreen Drug Products for Over-the-Counter Human Drugs. 32 CFR 412. August 25, 1978.
Gonzalez H, Farbrot A, Larko O, Wennberg AM. 2006. Percutaneous absorption of the sunscreen benzophenone-3 after repeated whole-body applications, with and without ultraviolet irradiation. The British journal of dermatology 154(2): 337-340.
Hanson KM, Gratton E, Bardeen CJ. 2006. Sunscreen enhancement of UV-induced reactive oxygen species in the skin. Free radical biology & medicine 41(8): 1205-1212.
Hayden CG, Roberts MS, Benson HA. 1997. Systemic absorption of sunscreen after topical application. Lancet 350(9081): 863-864.
Heneweer M, Muusse M, van den Berg M, Sanderson JT. 2005. Additive estrogenic effects of mixtures of frequently used UV filters on pS2-gene transcription in MCF-7 cells. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 208(2): 170-177.
Janjua NR, Mogensen B, Andersson AM, Petersen JH, Henriksen M, Skakkebaek NE, et al. 2004. Systemic absorption of the sunscreens benzophenone-3, octyl-methoxycinnamate, and 3-(4-methyl-benzylidene) camphor after whole-body topical application and reproductive hormone levels in humans. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 123(1): 57-61.
Kunz PY, Galicia HF, Fent K. 2006. Comparison of in vitro and in vivo estrogenic activity of UV filters in fish. Toxicol Sci 90(2): 349-361.
Lambropoulou DA, Giokas DL, Sakkas VA, Albanis TA, Karayannis MI. 2002. Gas chromatographic determination of 2-hydroxy-4-methoxybenzophenone and octyldimethyl-p-aminobenzoic acid sunscreen agents in swimming pool and bathing waters by solid-phase microextraction. Journal of chromatography 967(2): 243-253.
Lau C, Rogers JM. 2004. Embryonic and fetal programming of physiological disorders in adulthood. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 72(4): 300-312.
Li W, Ma Y, Guo C, Hu W, Liu K, Wang Y, et al. 2007. Occurrence and behavior of four of the most used sunscreen UV filters in a wastewater reclamation plant. Water research 41(15): 3506-3512.
Ma RS, Cotton B, Lichtensteiger W, Schlumpf M. 2003. UV filters with antagonistic action at androgen receptors in the MDA-kb2 cell transcriptional-activation assay. Toxicological Sciences 74(1): 43-50.
Nakagawa Y, Suzuki T. 2002. Metabolism of 2-hydroxy-4-methoxybenzophenone in isolated rat hepatocytes and xenoestrogenic effects of its metabolites on MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. Chem Biol Interact 139(2): 115-128.
NAS (National Academy of Sciences). 1993. Pesticides in the Diets of Infants and Children. Washington DC: National Academy Press.
Pont AR, Charron AR, Brand RM. 2004. Active ingredients in sunscreens act as topical penetration enhancers for the herbicide 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 195(3): 348-354.
Rodriguez E, Valbuena MC, Rey M, Porras de Quintana L. 2006. Causal agents of photoallergic contact dermatitis diagnosed in the national institute of dermatology of Colombia. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 22(4): 189-192.
Sarveiya V, Risk S, Benson HAE. 2004. Liquid chromatographic assay for common sunscreen agents: application to in vivo assessment of skin penetration and systemic absorption in human volunteers. Journal of Chromatography B-Analytical Technologies in the Biomedical and Life Sciences 803(2): 225-231.
SCCNFP (Scientific Committee on Cosmetic Products and Non-Food Products). 2001. Opinion on the Evaluation of Potentially Estrogenic Effects of UV-filters adopted by the SCCNFP during the 17th Plenary meeting of 12 June 2001. Opinion: European Commission - The Scientific Committee on Cosmetic Products and Non-Food Products Intended for Consumers.
SCCP (Scientific Committee on Cosmetic Products). 2006. Opinion concerning Benzophenone-3. Opinion: European Commission - The Scientfic Committee on Cosmetic Products and Non-Food Products Intended for Consumers.
Schlumpf M, Cotton B, Conscience M, Haller V, Steinmann B, Lichtensteiger W. 2001. In vitro and in vivo estrogenicity of UV screens. Environmental health perspectives 109(3): 239-244.
Schlumpf M, Schmid P, Durrer S, Conscience M, Maerkel K, Henseler M, et al. 2004. Endocrine activity and developmental toxicity of cosmetic UV filters--an update. Toxicology 205(1-2): 113-122.
Serpone N, Salinaro A, Emeline AV, Horikoshi S, Hidaka H, Zhao JC. 2002. An in vitro systematic spectroscopic examination of the photostabilities of a random set of commercial sunscreen lotions and their chemical UVB/UVA active agents. Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences 1(12): 970-981.
USPC (United States Pharmacopeial Convention). 1975. United States Pharmacopeia, 19th Ed. U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc., Rockville, MD.
Van Liempd SM, Kool J, Meerman JH, Irth H, Vermeulen NP. 2007. Metabolic profiling of endocrine-disrupting compounds by on-line cytochrome p450 bioreaction coupled to on-line receptor affinity screening. Chemical research in toxicology 20(12): 1825-1832.
Wolff MS, Engel SM, Berkowitz GS, Ye X, Silva MJ, Zhu C, et al. 2008. Prenatal phenol and phthalate exposures and birth outcomes. Environmental health perspectives 116: Available online March 20, 2008.
Wolff MS, Teitelbaum SL, Windham G, Pinney SM, Britton JA, Chelimo C, et al. 2007. Pilot study of urinary biomarkers of phytoestrogens, phthalates, and phenols in girls. Environmental health perspectives 115(1): 116-121.
Ye X, Kuklenyik Z, Needham LL, Calafat AM. 2005. Automated on-line column-switching HPLC-MS/MS method with peak focusing for the determination of nine environmental phenols in urine. Analytical chemistry 77(16): 5407-5413.
Ziolkowska A, Belloni AS, Nussdorfer GG, Nowak M, Malendowicz LK. 2006. Endocrine disruptors and rat adrenocortical function: studies on freshly dispersed and cultured cells. Int J Mol Med 18(6): 1165-1168.

jim thornton
December 15th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Being from Pittsburgh, where the sun rarely shines, I think the new sponsorship deal may be just the ticket for our ascendancy to the top ranks of USMS glory. Florida, Texas, California, and apparently pockets of red state America (and I do not mean this politically, but rather by the color of the local ants and the necks of the Caucasion residents) have a certain advantage over us Rust Belters in terms of outdoor pools, year-round LCM facilities, etc.

I say that when it comes to science, definitely you should go with John Roberts and ignore the CDC. Slather up your amphibean selves and stew yourselves in the photon broiler! Make sure to use only as directed. Which means reapplying every 15 minutes if you sweat or go swimming! You might want to add a double dose to any suspicious looking mole, too. That should ensure an extra measure of safety.

Meanwhile, we pale effete cloud people plot our ascendancy! I can only pray that Gold Bond is safe, given our proclivity to fungus and lichens infections....

Noodles Romanoff
December 16th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Dave,

You obviously have your panties in a twist over bullfrog. So what SPF 30+ sunscreen is safe and effective for long open water exposure?

And thank you, USMS, for expanding your list of sponsors!

and leave kaizen out of it.... it makes you look petty It looks like someone spread a little Icy Hot on sensitive areas instead of Gold Bond.

thewookiee
December 16th, 2008, 04:17 PM
are you shillin' for b-frog?

lets see..... wookiee says safe.

these people say not safe: (and i'm sure they're all smarter than me)

(and leave kaizen out of it.... it makes you look petty)

Let's see.... I will take common sense and personal experience of a product over studies done by a non-profit or govt. agency with an agenda anyday. Because, we all know that non-profits and govt. studies have always been done in the best interest of the public and not to push for their own personal agendas.
And yes, these people and lot's more are way smarter than I ever will be but almost 20 years of using bullfrog and be sensible enough to apply it when needed has never resulted in problems.
And don't assume that the "kaizen" comment was directed at anyone. Since we both know the meaning of the WORD, I thought it would help you understand how grateful I was that you enlightened me about the CDC.
I am glad bullfrog and it's parent company are supporting USMS. I do find it interesting that you never mentioned your findings until after they became a sponsor of USMS.

chaos
December 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=Noodles Romanoff;164262]Dave,

You obviously have your panties in a twist over bullfrog. So what SPF 30+ sunscreen is safe and effective for long open water exposure?

its not just bullfrog. i was a user of neutrogena gel as well but have given them up for the same reasons.

the link:http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens2008/index.php?

provides a list of all sunscreens and a rating for each. (thats why i included it)

chaos
December 16th, 2008, 05:32 PM
mine in bold

Let's see.... I will take common sense and personal experience of a product over studies done by a non-profit or govt. agency with an agenda anyday. Because, we all know that non-profits and govt. studies have always been done in the best interest of the public and not to push for their own personal agendas. please tell me what agenda do you suspect. i do love a good conspiracy theory...share.
And yes, these people and lot's more are way smarter than I ever will be but almost 20 years of using bullfrog and be sensible enough to apply it when needed has never resulted in problems. my uncle smoked two packs of camels a day for 40 years until.....
And don't assume that the "kaizen" comment was directed at anyone. Since we both know the meaning of the WORD, I thought it would help you understand how grateful I was that you enlightened me about the CDC. glad i could be of service.. you're welcome
I am glad bullfrog and it's parent company are supporting USMS. I do find it interesting that you never mentioned your findings until after they became a sponsor of USMS.they are not my findings. as stated previously, "i am not that smart" but the people that are named in the 50 or so studies that are footnoted certainly are.... they deserve all the credit. i have sent these links to many of my friends and open water swimming enthusiasts from the first day i became aware of them. of course you are welcome to slather on the bullfrog, puff away on pall malls, and deep fry your pork rinds in trans fats.... it is a free country; and with that comes information that you can do with what you like. cheers! http://www.cocktaildb.com/recipe_detail?id=2819

thewookiee
December 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Any conspiracy theory you can develop...non-profit or cdc decided it wasn't getting enough snuggling money from the cosemtic community, etc,etc. My point is that usually groups that run studies to serve their own purposes(whatever they maybe but it is usually for their benefit for whatever reason before the publics)...that is why I said I take don't take much stock into their reports

So, we shall agree to disagree. You don't have to use bullfrog or other products and I will continue to use them, as needed.