PDA

View Full Version : Masters Coaches Who Swim in Their Masters Programs

Ahelee Sue Osborn
December 29th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Do coaches who swim in their own masters swim programs pay regular membership dues to their organizations?

It they do not pay dues, how does the program "get around" various tax and insurance issues?

Ahelee Sue Osborn
December 29th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I take it that no masters swimmers who also coach their masters teams, pay dues to their own organization.
No one has responded to this thread with an affirmative answer that they are required to pay dues.

I have actually never heard of a program that required an active and contributing coach to pay dues.
Until yesterday.

The news is a blow to coaches who swim, need to swim, or should be swimming for their health - everywhere.

What is the arrangement on your team - or masters program?

I am the SPMA Coaches Chair and have a professional as well as personal interest in any feedback.
Ahelee

The Fortress
December 30th, 2008, 10:52 AM
My coach often swims with our masters team at GMU. I'm quite sure she doesn't pay dues, as her husband is the head coach of the GMU college team and she helps with the admin aspects of that team. They're both involved with both the college team and the masters team.

Couldn't not paying dues just be considered part of your compensation for coaching?

swimmj
December 30th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Coaches who coach either our kids or masters team swim for free. They do have to register with USMS. If you coach multiple days per week (I think over 3 days a week), your family swims for free. I coach the kids 5 days a week and fill in for the masters team when needed. I swim for free as far as the team goes and so does my husband. We pay pool fees - separate fee for our team and the USMS registration. It's a perk that is common, but very nice to have.

Hope this helps!

--mj

coachchris
December 30th, 2008, 08:26 PM
1/16/2009 marks 19 years as a masters coach for me. Other than USMS fees and meet entries, I haven't had to pay a penny to swim for any of the teams I coached for (and I've coached with 7 different programs in 3 different LMSCs in those 19 years). Hope this helps.

Chris Colburn
Head Masters Coach, Academy Bullets Swim Club
Chair, USMS Coaches Committee

meldyck
January 1st, 2009, 04:47 PM
Do coaches who swim in their own masters swim programs pay regular membership dues to their organizations?

It they do not pay dues, how does the program "get around" various tax and insurance issues?

When I coached in Flagstaff (at NAU), I paid swimmers fees and swam as well as coached (although not at the same time). In Granby, CO, when I coached at the YMCA, I was exempted from paying fees. At that last gig, I coached sometimes from the deck and sometimes from the water and swam at times other than when the master's group worked out.

So, I've experienced both kinds of situations.

swimmore
January 7th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I coach mostly from the deck depending on the group. The new swimmer group, I will get in and swim with them to work on stroke, but as they advance the less time I am in the pool.

Since, I am paid first to coach and swim second. I can swim at other times without paying for a membership. However I do pay for my own USMS and meet fees.

FlyQueen
January 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM
My team swims at a pool that is part of a wellness center affliated with a hospital. I coach one night a week and as a result not only do I get to swim for free I also get a membership to the gym for free and get paid. It's a VERY nice deal!

SLOmmafan
January 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Our masters team is very unofficial - part of a fitness club where the majority of us already pay monthly gym dues to use the club (including the pool). The club has coached swim sessions, and some people who swim those sessions also happen to be USMS members - the aquatics director generally tries to remember to pay club dues to USMS so we can be an official team.

The team always suffers because many members don't want to pay the additional fee (on top of club dues) to be part of the coached masters practices. The coaches are generally allowed to swim for free in sessions they do not coach, in part because they are already club employees.

Rnovitske
January 13th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Our team allows our paid coaches to swim in the workouts for free, (although not at the same time they are coaching on deck.) We also pay the coaches USMS registration.

We do submit 1099's to them and the IRS at the end of the year since we are a non-profit organization. We do not pay taxes and do not consider them as employees but as independent contractors. The most any one of them coaches is 4 one-hour workouts a week. We have 11 workouts per week coached by 5 coaches.

Blackbeard's Peg
January 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I have actually never heard of a program that required an active and contributing coach to pay dues.
Until yesterday.

The news is a blow to coaches who swim, need to swim, or should be swimming for their health - everywhere.

What exactly does "paying dues" entail? When I think dues, I think of an administrative charge, separate from what it would cost to actually jump in the pool. My team's dues are nominal, and I'd pay them even if I were coaching for them. Any more details on the situation?

Anyone I've ever asked about their team management mentioned perks for the coaches. Without more details on the situation, though, I can only jump to conclusions about this particular case.

I'm willing to bet that as teams find themselves under increased financial pressure with people cutting back on personal expenses, teams will be re-evaluating their finances and ask that both coaches and team members make a few concessions.

Rykno
January 15th, 2009, 04:17 AM
My team allows swimming coaches to swim for free, but they still have to pay the membership fee (which covers the insurance) and if they compete then they have to pay for the competition license.

on a side note:
Our team pays for all event entry fees, but we pay for transportation, food and hotel for multiple day meets.