PDA

View Full Version : Forums Update

matysekj
January 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
The forums software has been updated to the latest version as of this morning. Some of the new and changed offerings, per the developers include:

Navigation Updates
The upper navigation bar now has pop-up navigation clusters for Blogs and "Community". The Community pop-up is where you'll find links to the social networking type of features like social groups, friends, and photo albums.

Blog Updates
The left side navigation in the Blogs area has a few updates. Global categories for blog entries are new, and users may select a global category for any of their blog entries. Clicking on a category brings up all users' blog entries in that category.

Tags have also been enabled for blogs, with a tag cloud navigation added to the left side area.

Users may now customize their blog via the blog control panel, similar to the way they can customize their user profile.

Users may now customize the left side navigation blocks for their blog via the blog control panel.

Group Blogs are now enabled. The purpose of Group Blogs is to allow multiple forum members to post to the same blog. For example, one could create a new forum user under the name of 'Our Swim Team' and then use one blog for all of the team's coaches to post. Note: when you set up a group blog, all blog posts are attributed to the blog owner (the user account that creates the blog), independent of which user account you post from. For more details, see the developer's blog entry here (http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog.php?b=2327).

Custom Pages - users may create custom pages to be displayed in their blog.

Private Entries - users may set specific entries to be private while leaving their blog open.

Private Messaging Improvements
Private message history - When you receive a message from another user that is inreply to something you sent them, you can now view a history of replies. This is useful when you receive a message from someone and you cannot recollect the original discussion. The message history keeps track of all messages that have been replied to back and forward since an original message, allowing you to view the full discussion. Note: Message history will only be shown for PM's sent since this forum upgrade was incorporated.

We have added Quick Reply to the private message viewing page, removing the need for a visit to a separate interface.

Users now have the ability to change the sort order in private message folders from the existing date-newest-first default.
In order to find what you are looking for more quickly and easily, there's now an inline search system too.

Also, as an anti-spam measure, it's now possible to limit the number of private messages any user may send in a given period of time.

Most Recently-Updated Albums
Bringing users' album pictures out of the dark recesses of their profile, vBulletin 3.8 has a system to display the most recently-updated albums from all users in a unified interface. Now everyone will know when your members upload new pictures!

Moving Album Pictures
It's now possible to move pictures from one album to another, rather than having to delete and re-upload.

Social Group Categories
To allow users to more easily find a social group that they'd like to join, the administrator can now create categories to which social groups can belong.

Social Group Avatars
A picture is worth a thousand words, so when users create a social group, they can now upload a picture to represent the group, which will be shown both on the group page, and on the list of groups.

Social Group Discussions
In order to greatly enhance the ability of social groups to allow users to talk about their common interests, the social group messages have been threaded with the use of 'discussions'.As some have figured out, I also recently added the ability to embed YouTube videos directly in forum and blog posts. There are three icon options in the post form - YouTube, YouTube HQ, and YouTube HD. If you don't know the type of video you're trying to embed (regular, HQ or HD), you can try each of the options while using the message preview function (always try to play the video in preview mode - that's how you tell if you've got the right type). For example, here's the promotional video for nationals from our YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/usmastersswimming):

S6kH5SpO4HU
To embed a YouTube video, just copy and paste the video ID from the YouTube address (the value after v= in the address) to your post, select the video ID, and click on a YouTube icon.

Dominick Aielloeaver
January 14th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Great JOB. Like the new format very much. Dom in AZ.:chug::applaud:

Ahelee Sue Osborn
January 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Great JOB. Like the new format very much. Dom in AZ.:chug::applaud:

This clip of masters swimming at a USMS meet (well, yes it is Nationals) is the coolest snapshot of masters for those of us who swam as kids and return to USMS and find our friends from the past and better yet from innocent childhood.

I do love swimming.
So happy there is a place for all of us to continue and bring our clueless friends into the mix of love...!

Chris Stevenson
January 24th, 2009, 08:14 AM
The forums software has been updated to the latest version as of this morning.

Jim, I have a couple questions (or maybe requests) for the blogs.

-- I noticed the addition of the "universal" categories like "Swim Workouts," etc. One thing I like is that you can list all the postings in a particular category, making it easy to do things like browse for workouts or meets or whatever. I also notice that you can classify a particular posting under multiple categories, which makes sense for some posts.

However, before the addition of this update I created my own internal categories that are similar. I wouldn't mind also categorizing those posts into the appropriate general category (eg, make most of my "Daily Workout" posts as "Swim Workouts"). However...it has to be done one at a time, and under "advanced editing" no less. That is tedious -- is there a way to classify a group of posts, rather than one at a time?

-- Sometimes I want to find/refer to a posting I made and I have a pretty decent idea when it was. When I go to "My Blog," the calendar shows which days I've posted and hovering the mouse shows how many postings I made for that day. Nice...but when I click on the day, it lists ALL the posts (not just mine) for that day.

That behavior doesn't seem right; when I'm in the "my blog" area I would expect only to list my own posts, not everyone's. Is there a way to fix this?

matysekj
January 27th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Jim, I have a couple questions (or maybe requests) for the blogs.

-- I noticed the addition of the "universal" categories like "Swim Workouts," etc. One thing I like is that you can list all the postings in a particular category, making it easy to do things like browse for workouts or meets or whatever. I also notice that you can classify a particular posting under multiple categories, which makes sense for some posts.

However, before the addition of this update I created my own internal categories that are similar. I wouldn't mind also categorizing those posts into the appropriate general category (eg, make most of my "Daily Workout" posts as "Swim Workouts"). However...it has to be done one at a time, and under "advanced editing" no less. That is tedious -- is there a way to classify a group of posts, rather than one at a time?

There isn't a way to do it in the tools, but I can do it for you in the database. PM me with the list of transformations you'd like to see from your posts and whether you'd like to just add the global category or replace your local category with the global one.

-- Sometimes I want to find/refer to a posting I made and I have a pretty decent idea when it was. When I go to "My Blog," the calendar shows which days I've posted and hovering the mouse shows how many postings I made for that day. Nice...but when I click on the day, it lists ALL the posts (not just mine) for that day.

That behavior doesn't seem right; when I'm in the "my blog" area I would expect only to list my own posts, not everyone's. Is there a way to fix this?

Good catch. I submitted it as a bug to the developers this weekend and just got the notice that it's been fixed in the next release. There is a bug fix release scheduled for this week and I'm planning on grabbing it and installing it here either Saturday or Sunday AM.