PDA

View Full Version : Colonies Zone SCY Championship

The Fortress
January 13th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Cheryl Ward asked me to post this here:

The Colonies Zone SCY Championship meet will be held April 24-26, 2009 at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. The entry deadline is April 10 but if you're interested in swimming the 1650 free there are only 20 spots left as of yesterday's mail. (I faithfully promise not to take one of those slots.)

Here's a link to the entry form:
http://www.patriotmasters.org/Colonies.April.2009.Entry.pdf

Here's a link to the Psych sheet:
http://www.patriotmasters.org/ColoniesZone2009/results/index.htm

Swimalison
February 24th, 2009, 08:14 PM

The Colonies Zone SCY Championship meet will be held April 24-26, 2009 at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. The entry deadline is April 10 but if you're interested in swimming the 1650 free there are only 20 spots left as of yesterday's mail. (I faithfully promise not to take one of those slots.)

Can we start an event invite on FB for this meet as well? If so, you wanna do the honors Fortress?:)

pwolf66
February 25th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I'll be there. And hopefully able to swim more than a 50.

thewookiee
February 25th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I'll be there. And hopefully able to swim more than a 50.

I think you should sign-up for the mile. Then you will get to do a lot of 50's :)

pwolf66
February 25th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I think you should sign-up for the mile. Then you will get to do a lot of 50's :)

Only if I get to swim it over multiple days. Like maybe 7??? Is 1650 divisible by 7 evenly?

imspoiled
February 25th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Sadly, the mile is full. There does appear to be plenty of room in the 1000 though. That's only 20 x 50--totally doable for a sprinter!

thewookiee
February 25th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Sadly, the mile is full. There does appear to be plenty of room in the 1000 though. That's only 20 x 50--totally doable for a sprinter!

Only if the sprinter wants to have a head exam...1650-1000-400 IM are all in the same boat...no thanks!

SwimStud
February 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Only if the sprinter wants to have a head exam...1650-1000-400 IM are all in the same boat...no thanks!

Wook are you going to grace us with your furry presence?

thewookiee
February 26th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Wook are you going to grace us with your furry presence?

That is the same weekend as the North Carolina SCY championships...so I have to decided...either way...I might end up flying to either one

Chris Stevenson
February 26th, 2009, 02:07 PM
That is the same weekend as the North Carolina SCY championships...so I have to decided...either way...I might end up flying to either one

No it isn't, the NC meet is the week before (Apr 18-19).

thewookiee
February 26th, 2009, 02:18 PM
No it isn't, the NC meet is the week before (Apr 18-19).

Oh...ok....I thought they were the same weekend...thanks for pointing it Chris.

Maybe I will come to that meet then. Stud...becareful...it isn't wise to upset a wookiee :)

SwimStud
February 26th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Oh...ok....I thought they were the same weekend...thanks for pointing it Chris.

Maybe I will come to that meet then. Stud...becareful...it isn't wise to upset a wookiee :)

It's OK I'll ballet dance my way around you...

Iwannafly
February 27th, 2009, 08:28 AM

Only if you wear a tutu you fruitcake!:-) Sorry for being a yuckster!

thewookiee
February 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Stud...remember, I am a redneck(fort's words) with a shotgun and know how to use it... :applaud: :applaud:

tjrpatt
February 27th, 2009, 11:24 AM

Gosh, thanks Leslie. You guys work fast getting this stuff up even if the entry deadline is a few weeks away.

Michelina
March 19th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I hope there is still room in the 1000!

pwolf66
March 19th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I hope there is still room in the 1000!

Should be, only 27 showing entered so far. I don't think that there was a hard limit on the 1000, just on the 1650.

tjrpatt
March 19th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Should be, only 27 showing entered so far. I don't think that there was a hard limit on the 1000, just on the 1650.

I think that the updated entry form stated that there was still room for the 1000.

KEWebb18
March 24th, 2009, 10:38 PM
How much time will there be between events? I have never swam this meet before, I want to make sure that I have enough rest time between my events as this is my "focus meet".
For example, if I decide to swim the 500 free (event 5) and 100 free (event 17) on the same day, how much rest will I get?

pwolf66
March 25th, 2009, 08:58 AM
How much time will there be between events? I have never swam this meet before, I want to make sure that I have enough rest time between my events as this is my "focus meet".
For example, if I decide to swim the 500 free (event 5) and 100 free (event 17) on the same day, how much rest will I get?

Katie,

You should have at least 2 hours and probably more than that.

tjrpatt
March 25th, 2009, 02:28 PM

Just be glad that you don't have to do the 400 IM and 200 fly. I will be lucky if I get 30 minutes between each event.

KEWebb18
March 26th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Just be glad that you don't have to do the 400 IM and 200 fly. I will be lucky if I get 30 minutes between each event.

You need to make sure that you have time to put on your "fast legs" before the 200 fly lol

KEWebb18
March 26th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Katie,

You should have at least 2 hours and probably more than that.

Plenty of time to annoy my husband!!! Thanks :)

swimshark
March 27th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Are we talking socials yet?

tjrpatt
March 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM
You need to make sure that you have time to put on your "fast legs" before the 200 fly lol

I will put that on my CZ checklist!!!

KEWebb18
April 2nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
I am having trouble deciding between swimming the 200 free and 100 IM on Sunday. I am planning on also swimming the 50 free that day, and possibly the 50 fly. Free is by far my best stroke...but I am not sure which to swim! The 200 free is at 10 am and the 100 IM is at 10:30. Any suggestions? Comments? Thanks :)

pwolf66
April 3rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
I'd swim the 200 Free over the 100 IM if you're worried about rest.

Chris Stevenson
April 3rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
I am having trouble deciding between swimming the 200 free and 100 IM on Sunday. I am planning on also swimming the 50 free that day, and possibly the 50 fly. Free is by far my best stroke...but I am not sure which to swim! The 200 free is at 10 am and the 100 IM is at 10:30. Any suggestions? Comments? Thanks :)

Katie, unless you are swimming some relays (which are right after the 100 IM), I think you should go with your gut instinct. Deep down, which of the two do you really want to swim more?

KEWebb18
April 3rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
I'd swim the 200 Free over the 100 IM if you're worried about rest.

I'm not worried about rest from those first ones til the end, I am just not sure how I will feel after the first day. I haven't swam a 2 day meet in 10 years.

KEWebb18
April 3rd, 2009, 12:47 PM
Katie, unless you are swimming some relays (which are right after the 100 IM), I think you should go with your gut instinct. Deep down, which of the two do you really want to swim more?

No relays for me since I swim UNAT. I would be happy with either one, they make me feel the same after (dead tired!!)

pwolf66
April 3rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Swim the 200. We can grudge race this one. I'll spot you 30 seconds. I have a feeling I'll get stomped but what the heck.

chowmi
April 3rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
To all,

If Beth Eldridge attends the meet, please make sure to introduce yourselves and welcome her to your Zones.

At last year's nationals, she said she was moving to the DC area from Missouri (I think, where ever MOVY is). She is really a wonderful person and truly inspirational. You can see her wonderful top ten times; just look her up.

What you won't see is that starting at 2006 USMS nationals, she had some sort of epileptic attack, and fast forward another 3 years, she has been suffering from a brain tumor & the side effects of chemo and various seizures. They had to shave her head in before 2007 nationals so she was a bit self concisous (sp) about that. She had to get clearance from the meet officials/coaches to swim her events each day at 2007 and 2008 nationals. Last year, they would not let her swim the 100 free (last event) and she stood behind my lane and cheered me on. What a lady.

So hopefully she is in better health now, but even if she isn't , she will still swim FAST!!

pwolf66
April 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Wow, she's crazy fast. I will make sure that I meet such wonderfully strong person!!!!!!

KEWebb18
April 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the info. We should feel so lucky to have her join our zone!

KEWebb18
April 3rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
Swim the 200. We can grudge race this one. I'll spot you 30 seconds. I have a feeling I'll get stomped but what the heck.

Call me silly but I am not sure what a grudge race is.

Oh and BTW--I decided to swim the 200 and drop the 500 on Saturday.

Speedo
April 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
To all,

If Beth Eldridge attends the meet, please make sure to introduce yourselves and welcome her to your Zones.

At last year's nationals, she said she was moving to the DC area from Missouri (I think, where ever MOVY is). She is really a wonderful person and truly inspirational. You can see her wonderful top ten times; just look her up.

What you won't see is that starting at 2006 USMS nationals, she had some sort of epileptic attack, and fast forward another 3 years, she has been suffering from a brain tumor & the side effects of chemo and various seizures. They had to shave her head in before 2007 nationals so she was a bit self concisous (sp) about that. She had to get clearance from the meet officials/coaches to swim her events each day at 2007 and 2008 nationals. Last year, they would not let her swim the 100 free (last event) and she stood behind my lane and cheered me on. What a lady.

So hopefully she is in better health now, but even if she isn't , she will still swim FAST!!
She's still very fast- I talked to her at the Tropical Splash meet in Feb and she had a killer 50 free, although not what she'd hoped (um. . . sub-24). She's seeded well for Zones as well.

There's a story on her on the FINA website, FYI:
http://www.fina.org/project/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2128&Itemid=330

KEWebb18
April 7th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I won't be swimming (health reasons) but I hope everyone swims fast!!!

swimshark
April 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Sorry to hear that Katie. I hope you get better.

I will be limited this meet. Saturday Matthew has a soccer game at 2:15 so I'll be leaving right after the 500 go to watch.

tjrpatt
April 7th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I won't be swimming (health reasons) but I hope everyone swims fast!!!

If you are able to swim by May, maybe do that meet in Roanoke, VA to make up for missing Zones. Just a suggestion. Sorry to hear about missing Zones. GMU is a nice pool and they have a hot tub if you already didn't know.

Chris Stevenson
April 8th, 2009, 10:01 AM
If you are able to swim by May, maybe do that meet in Roanoke, VA to make up for missing Zones.

In case you don't know which meet he's talking about, go here:

http://www.vaswim.org/cgi-bin/calendar.cgi

The 1st Annual Gator meet will be held May 16 (the week after nationals).

thewookiee
April 8th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks for posting this info. The meet is pretty close to me and I can use it to celebrate my birthday

KEWebb18
April 8th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Hopefully--it just depends on how long I have to stay out of the water.

SwimStud
April 8th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Katie, it's a pity you won't be there but at least you're safe from the leching of James Thornton esq.

:D:banana:

tjrpatt
April 15th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Wow, USMS Executive Director is swimming at the meet this year!!

jim thornton
April 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Katie, it's a pity you won't be there but at least you're safe from the leching of James Thornton esq.

:D:banana:

Rich, are you familiar with the term "projection" that we psychiatrists, real and fake, often use?

SwimStud
April 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Rich, are you familiar with the term "projection" that we psychiatrists, real and fake, often use?

So it's true...your projection is fake!

jim thornton
April 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Rich, have I told you lately how much I love your new avatar!

It, and you, are just darling!

The Fortress
April 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Good luck everyone! See you soon.

Red Hot & Blue after the meet on Saturday?

Party at Chez Fort after the meet on Sunday ... burgers and beer! Even the Furburglar is coming ...

Swimalison
April 22nd, 2009, 02:51 PM

Party at Chez Fort after the meet on Sunday ... burgers and beer! Even the Furburglar is coming ...

So looking forward to this weekend!! Whoo hoo! No kids, no cooking, no cleaning...just swimming and hanging with a great group of people..Nutty:groovy:..but great!!hehe

jim thornton
April 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
Ditto!

Comes a Zonesman to Tyson's Corner, destroyer of Chesapeake Bay!

Michelina
April 22nd, 2009, 06:30 PM

:bliss:I can't wait for this weekend to chill with Team Hottub... and get in some swims while i'm at it. :chug:

The Fortress
April 22nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
:bliss:I can't wait for this weekend to chill with Team Hottub... and get in some swims while i'm at it. :chug:

That's good because Ahelee promised Rob B. he would get to meet the bad girrllzz!! :)

jim thornton
April 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
I hope I don't have to get a restraining order for Cheryl Kupan's buttocks.

pwolf66
April 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
Hmm, guess I need to put on my bodyguard persona. :roids:

jim thornton
April 22nd, 2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks, Paul. You may recall that at the last meet Cheryl and I both attended, her buttocks reached out unexpectedly and delivered a vicious, brutal smack to my completely unprotected right hand.

It was awful. I still get pain when the weather is damp. I can't begin to tell you the psychological ramifications of PCKBST.

Horrific.

Anyhow, I am very glad that you are willing to take a bullet, or worse, Cheryl's buttocks, for me.

Your friend,

Jim

Michelina
April 22nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
Hmm, guess I need to put on my bodyguard persona. :roids:

Yes Paul... as "Resident Body Guard" you are required to shield us all from Jim's right hand. :roids:

The Fortress
April 22nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Yes Paul... as "Resident Body Guard" you are required to shield us all from Jim's right hand. :roids:

I'll hand him the camera again, so at least his right hand is occupied!

Jim, there will be minors in the house, including the designated bodyguard's daughter. Plus, do you want to scare off poor Cheryl so she never comes to CZ again?! Any incidents could results in suspension of the cottage privileges!

jim thornton
April 22nd, 2009, 10:50 PM
Michelle, reread my most earnestly posted post!

I am the victim here!

My hand was absolutely minding its own business when it was attacked.

Paul, you must believe me. I'm the one that needs protecting. First it was my hand. Who knows what her buttocks will unilaterally accost next?

jim thornton
April 22nd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Leslie,

I can prove my hand is innocent! When the attack occurred, it was busy signing legal documents necessary to prove my co-ownership of the compound, from which not even King George himself can now legally extract me!

You are a lawyer.

You know how exhausting the legal document signing process is.

My hand was absolutely exhausted and totally distracted by minutiae when one of the horde of Bad Grrrrlllszzzz of swimming snuck up it, spun around, and sucker punched the bejesus out my dainty digits.

Why are you all blaming the victim-landowner here?

The Fortress
April 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Michelle, reread my most earnestly posted post!

I am the victim here!

My hand was absolutely minding its own business when it was attacked.

Paul, you must believe me. I'm the one that needs protecting. First it was my hand. Who knows what her buttocks will unilaterally accost next?

I doubt her butt will be protruding and accosting people. She is rather tiny. Perhaps the bad girrllzz have bigger guns than you? I would tread cautiously.

Hey, wookiee's birthday is shortly after this meet. I think we should all be prepared to regal him with our stellar singing.

jim thornton
April 22nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
I just realized that I mistyped my psychiatric acronym earlier.

It should have read PTCKBSD*.

(*Post Traumatic Cheryl Kupan Buttocks Stress Disorder)

thewookiee
April 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Hey, wookiee's birthday is shortly after this meet. I think we should all be prepared to regal him with our stellar singing.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....yea....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... how about kisses from all the beautiful women? :applaud: And no, Jim, that doesn't mean you either....

SwimStud
April 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
I'll hand him the camera again, so at least his right hand is occupied!

Yes I think Jim's last, albeit quite brief, "one hand movie" was on Youtube for a few minutes before being yanked off...

pwolf66
April 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
yanked off...

So is THAT what it's called?

tjrpatt
April 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM
Hopefully, Jim will leave the pony at home. I am sure that the pony is traumatized by what happened at Summer Zones.

jim clemmons
April 23rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Hopefully, Jim will leave the pony at home. I am sure that the pony is traumatized by what happened at Summer Zones.

Jim's gonna have to bring that pony along and get a giddyup on it if he wants to stick a TT in the 50 and 100 frees when it's all over with.

Time to motivate, Jimbo. Get a wiggle-on! (Whatever the he11 that means):confused:

The Fortress
April 23rd, 2009, 05:18 PM

The pony (formerly my daughter's) has taken up it's place in the guest cottage, where Jim squats.

Here's the link to photos from last year's Zones festivities, if you're on FB: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=1&aid=107146&op=6&id=797920051

jim thornton
April 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Migrainal activity; gastrointestinal distress of the sort that products like Immodium AD are marginally effective; zombie-esque lethargy.

There are a few of the symptoms that have locked my head and alimentary canal in vice grips today.

If I break 1:07 in the 100 yard freestyle at this meet, it will be the kind of miracle that will make us all True Believers in the magic that is the B70 swimming performance enhancing body boat suit.

Back to my sick bed and adjoining vomitarium.

jim clemmons
April 23rd, 2009, 07:15 PM
Migrainal activity; gastrointestinal distress of the sort that products like Immodium AD are marginally effective; zombie-esque lethargy.

There are a few of the symptoms that have locked my head and alimentary canal in vice grips today.

If I break 1:07 in the 100 yard freestyle at this meet, it will be the kind of miracle that will make us all True Believers in the magic that is the B70 swimming performance enhancing body boat suit.

Back to my sick bed and adjoining vomitarium.

Excuses, excuses, excuses...

Some of the best swims occur right after an event such as what you're experiencing. Or so I've been told.

The Fortress
April 23rd, 2009, 10:59 PM
Excuses, excuses, excuses...

Some of the best swims occur right after an event such as what you're experiencing. Or so I've been told.

It's all in his head. I go through this with him every meet, Jim. It's the standard pre-meet hypochondriasis. And he always swims well at Zones.

Uh, leave the vomatorium in Pittsburgh, Jimby!

SwimStud
April 24th, 2009, 08:14 AM
See everyone soon!

Speedo
April 24th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I went by the GMU Aquatic Center at lunchtime today to loosen up. The competition pool was closed (duh) so swam in the rec pool. But I did peek in the competition atrium- It was completely empty (there was water, just no people in it) but the blocks and extra lane lines installed and timing system ready. Got me pretty pumped up, I must say. Good luck to all!

Swimalison
April 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Here at the hotel! Hope everyone swam well tonight! See everyone in the morning!!!

mermaid
April 25th, 2009, 03:30 PM
What an amazing group! I love seeing everyone swimming well and having a great time.

KEWebb18
April 25th, 2009, 08:36 PM
The times for Saturday sure were fast! Congrats to Leslie for your new record!:cheerleader: