PDA

View Full Version : Web site problem

knelson
January 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
On the front page of the website I'm having problems navigating using the drop-down lists that appear when you hover over the tabs (Home, Health & Fitness, etc.). What happens is the drop-down list appears, but as soon as I move the cursor down it disappears again so I'm unable to click on any of the links.

This only happens with the IE browser I use at work. I use Firefox at home and everything works just fine. Any ideas? Actually the behavior seems intermittent. Eventually I'm able to pick from the list, but it usually take s a few tries.

matysekj
January 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Is the top of the page you see on the problem browser kind of jumbled up? I think when this happens, the pop-up menus also do not line up well with the associated tabs. If this describes what you're seeing on that browser, it's a browser cache problem - the browser has not properly picked up the changed style sheet. You'll need to empty the browser cache as described here (http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html) and then reload the page.

pwolf66
January 19th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Actually, Jim it seems to be some sort of pull down selection issue as the pull down options appear but as soon as you move the mouse to select one of them, they disappear. Example, when I highlight 'Comepetition' the options under it appear but as soon as I move my mouse to select one, the options disappear before I can select them.

I have seen this so far on IE 6 SP2 and 7 SP1

knelson
January 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Yes, exactly as Paul described. I don't see anything jumbled up.

matysekj
January 20th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I've been able to reproduce this now on an XP system and a Windows 2000 system both running IE6. I have not had it happen using IE7 on either Vista or XP, or with any other browser. It looks like (yet another) IE6 bug to me, with several elements interacting incorrectly. I'm looking for workarounds but I'm also traveling for the rest of the week and weekend, so I don't really expect to have much time to put into this over the rest of the week. All I can offer until a workaround is in place is to use a different browser or try the technique below. I apologize for the inconvenience.

One thing I noticed with IE6 where the problem occurs: If you move your mouse slowly downward over a tab, when you transition from the text highlighting in yellow to going back to white while still pointing to the bottom of the tab, the pop up menu flashes off then on. This should not happen - this is the key to the IE6 bug and never happens in other browsers. If you can get into that position where the tab text is white and the popup is still visible, you should be able to move down into the pop up without a problem. At least it always worked for me.

Have I mentioned how much I hate IE6 and it's incredible number of bugs?

meldyck
January 20th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I have not noticed this problem with IE v. 6 SP2. I rebuilt my computer and just left in the old IE version, but had it up and running under the previous iteration of the web site. So, browser cache doesn't seem to be a problem for me. More to add to the mix....

pdjang
January 21st, 2009, 11:14 AM
When I was an associate editor for the INFORMS website (Institute for Operations Research and Management Science), we had a requirement to test all changes in a variety of browsers.

JM - I feel your pain.

BTW, has USMS ever considered distributing some of the web tasks? I'm sure that there are some web savvy swimmers who have some spare time and would love to participate as associate website editors (fyi, not me). My AE job was not only fun (a good group of folks) - it was good for my professional status and career. We were unpaid, but the resume value was worthwhile. Just a thought.