PDA

View Full Version : Swim the atlantic...

SwimStud
February 7th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Yikes...
Cream puff this has you written all over it!

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-world-latinamerica/20090207/CB.Caribbean.Trans.Atlantic.Swim/

ALM
February 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Something doesn't add up.

...she's shown posing for a picture after her arrival to Chacachacare Island, in Trinidad, Thursday, Feb. 5, 2009. Figge, of Aspen, Colorado, is the first woman to swim across the Atlantic Ocean, after leaving the Cape Verde Islands off Africa on Jan. 12, swimming roughly 2,100 miles (3,380 kilometers) to arrive in Trinidad.

She swam 2,100 miles in 25 days (January 12 - February 5, inclusive). That's 84 miles per day. At Erik Vendt's pace of roughly 15 minutes per mile, that's 21 hours per day of constant swimming.

Even if she was aided by current, the article said that she "...(battled) waves of up to 30 feet and strong winds..." That would imply that there were times when she was making much less progress.

??? :dunno: ???

pwb
February 8th, 2009, 08:11 PM
How far did the boat go each night when she rested?

This is a cool concept, but is it real? can you even anchor a boat in the middle of the Atlantic?

Typhoons Coach
February 8th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Time (or mileage) exagertion, it is still an impressive swim!

Mookie
February 9th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't think the boat goes anywhere at night. If they took advantage of the gulf stream, she could get up to a three knot boost from the the current. If she was in the water for 15 hours a day, that's 45 miles a day from the current. Just a guess.

knelson
February 9th, 2009, 12:10 PM
With GPS they could just reposition the boat to the point where she exited the water the previous day.

What I think is strange is that she would choose to do this during the winter. Maybe that's when the currents are strongest? Still 84 miles per day is hard to believe.

Maui Mike
February 9th, 2009, 02:13 PM
"84 miles per day is hard to believe"

Maybe she took a short cut?

Mookie
February 9th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Currents and winds favorable, the strongest, and most reliable in the winter. Water temps still in the 70s or 80s. The direction of those '30' ft waves would have been pushing her. Hurricanes run June through November, and will seriously mess up your day if you are out there on the ocean.

Ken Classen
February 9th, 2009, 04:14 PM
"84 miles per day is hard to believe"

Maybe she took a short cut?

Different journalist, different view.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/09/aspen-womans-atlantic-swim-carries-asterisk/

orca1946
February 9th, 2009, 06:49 PM
My no think so! Now I would be impressed if it was all fly!

flippergirl
February 10th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Yikes...
Cream puff this has you written all over it!

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-world-latinamerica/20090207/CB.Caribbean.Trans.Atlantic.Swim/
Wow! My kind of story!!!
Flippergirl

aquageek
February 10th, 2009, 08:26 AM
This should really be described as a person who took a 25 day eco tour of the Atlantic and did some swimming along the way. This in no way should be described as "swimming the Atlantic." She didn't even swim for 5 of the days.

Kurt Dickson
February 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
A 25 day swimming holiday in January. A home in Aspen. I need to get a better sponsor/agent.:)

knelson
February 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM
From now on in the USMS "Go The Distance" event I'm going to include the miles I drove to and from the pool in my swimming totals.

ViveBene
February 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Some of the comments to the Rocky Mountain News story are pretty funny:

"I've been to the moon and back - 30,000 feet at a time."

Looks like Jennifer Figge sort of section swam some Atlantic Ocean water. Maybe she'll go back over time and do the rest of it.

It's good to have a goal, though!
:)

SwimStud
February 10th, 2009, 10:12 AM
From now on in the USMS "Go The Distance" event I'm going to include the miles I drove to and from the pool in my swimming totals.
OK but you have to be wearing only your speedo, cap and goggles...

hofffam
February 11th, 2009, 05:33 PM
More clear repudiation of the whole fraud/story/exaggeration:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/The-great-Atlantic-Ocean-swimming-hoax?urn=oly,140525

SLOmmafan
February 11th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Wow, there was some very poor reporting done on this whole story. As is mentioned, 250 miles is impressive over 25 days - but it is not the same as swimming the whole Atlantic.