PDA

View Full Version : Any East Coast sickies out there?

renie
February 10th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I work out about 3 hours a day (well, since I became semi-retired --I work part time:applaud:) I started with the dreaded scratchy throat/tickle 9 days ago and AM STILL SICK! Normally, I would try an swm through it (unless I have a fever) but this "virus" has me flattened:bed:. I have NO energy and if I do any type of cardio, I am exhausted afterwards. I've had a barking cough for days, headaches so bad I want to blow my head off, and am very weak. I finally went to the dr. and he gave me antibiotics and a DX of sinus infection. I swam 3000 today, felt pretty good (not 100%) and am pretty tired right now, but that's it. anyone else get this nasty virus? I hear it lasts up to a month!

gobears
February 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I'm not on the East Coast, but you're making me feel better. I've had something for weeks also. Just the last few days where it's making me semi-nauseous and weak. Maybe I'll see if the Dr. can give me an RX if this keeps going... I've never had a head cold like this one!

orca1946
February 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Hope that yours is quicker than mine, itlasted 5 weeks!!!:cane:

gigi
February 10th, 2009, 07:57 PM
This sounds just like what I had in mid-December. It lasted for weeks. Feel better soon - water water water and a nice cup of herb tea every now and then is just the thing

tjrpatt
February 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Yeah, just getting over a miserable cold that kept me out of the pool most of last week. Had to get back in the pool on Saturday because I have a meet this weekend. I am not 100% at practice but I am getting better with every practice.

CreamPuff
February 10th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Yep. I got sick right before my USS Auburn meet (3 days before the meet started.) Had a fever of about 100 2 days before the meet and then the symptoms you described. Lots of the USS kids @ SWAT got it too along with our coach. Lasted about 1.5/ 2 weeks for me. Now I'm just fatigued. But getting better.

tjrpatt
February 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Yep. I got sick right before my USS Auburn meet (3 days before the meet started.) Had a fever of about 100 2 days before the meet and then the symptoms you described. Lots of the USS kids @ SWAT got it too along with our coach. Lasted about 1.5/ 2 weeks for me. Now I'm just fatigued. But getting better.

I got lucky because my USS meet is this weekend. It could have been alot worse if I got sick this week. Hopefully, I will be strong enough this weekend to hold my own against the 15 to 18 year olds on Saturday.

CreamPuff-good luck with the Auburn this weekend. What, is there a meet there every weekend or something? Also, I saw some of your seed times and man, I would kill to have your 200 fly and 1650 times right now. Are you close to Senior National Cuts by any chance?

CreamPuff
February 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I got lucky because my USS meet is this weekend. It could have been alot worse if I got sick this week. Hopefully, I will be strong enough this weekend to hold my own against the 15 to 18 year olds on Saturday.

CreamPuff-good luck with the Auburn this weekend. What, is there a meet there every weekend or something? Also, I saw some of your seed times and man, I would kill to have your 200 fly and 1650 times right now. Are you close to Senior National Cuts by any chance?

GOOD LUCK! You'll do great. Keep us posted. :cheerleader::cheerleader:

I'm not going to Auburn Masters meet. I just did one a couple of weeks ago @ Auburn for USS. Ha! I wish! No where near SR cuts.

letsrace
February 10th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Very similar symptoms. Mine started with a slight sinus pain and chest weakness/congestion almost 3 weeks ago. That lead to laryngitis and significant weakness to the point that I began skipping workouts. After even moderate swims, I would leave the pool feeling completely wasted. I normally hold the opinion that it is better to swim through sickness which made me think that I was just being lazy, but the other symptoms made me realize that it wasn't in my head.

I went to the doctor as well. He offered an antibiotic, but I honestly didn't think that would help, so I have chosen to wait this out. In the last few days I have felt my energy returning, but I am still coughing and I still have a very weak voice.

I am surprised and reassured to hear that others have such similar symptoms. T

The Fortress
February 10th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Very similar symptoms. Mine started with a slight sinus pain and chest weakness/congestion almost 3 weeks ago. That lead to laryngitis and significant weakness to the point that I began skipping workouts. After even moderate swims, I would leave the pool feeling completely wasted. I normally hold the opinion that it is better to swim through sickness which made me think that I was just being lazy, but the other symptoms made me realize that it wasn't in my head.

I went to the doctor as well. He offered an antibiotic, but I honestly didn't think that would help, so I have chosen to wait this out. In the last few days I have felt my energy returning, but I am still coughing and I still have a very weak voice.

All 3 of my children currently have these symptoms and the hacking cough. So far, I only have congestion and a sore throat, but I feel like a sitting duck.

VA has been hit heavily by the flu. I got a notice from my son's high school the other days saying the school had been heavily hit and to keep your kids at home. So they can make their parents sick.

USMSarah
February 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM

I am in the south and my "cold" lasted about 4 weeks long - some of my family members and teammates had the same thing. It was rough - glad to be recovering now! Hope you all feel better soon!

jim thornton
February 10th, 2009, 10:53 PM
At the risk of perhaps seeming a little self promotional, you can watch--in real time--a fellow swimmer slowly disintegrating into the depths of near microbial madness then, ever so slowly, re-emerging over the subsequent weeks into a shell of his former self.

A good place to start this chronicle of woe is with this episode of my video vlog in the blog section of this very web site: http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=996

The episode above, entitled, "Soul MRSA or something worse?" picks up my unusual case of cold viruses gone wild on the morning I discovered two prominent and itchy buboes on my finger and abdomen, respectively.

Feel free to follow the whole lengthy recuperation as you find yourself sick MUCH LONGER THAN YOU THINK IS FAIR OR NATURAL!

Thus it has become with today's modern SuperColds.

God have mercy on all of our miserable souls!

--Vlog the Inhaler, your source for complete hypochondriacal and semi-swimming related time-wasting convalescent distractions!

Chris Stevenson
February 11th, 2009, 08:53 AM
I was sick last week but it seems milder than what I am reading here. Cough and chest congestion, scratchy throat, weakness especially in the afternoon, sinuses were only really hit late in the process. It only lasted a week and was really bad only for about a day, and now it seems to be gone.

My wife got an even milder case...then again, she got a flu shot and I forgot (though I am not sure this was the flu).

renie
February 11th, 2009, 04:51 PM

Thanks. Did you swim while sick?

renie
February 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM
This sounds just like what I had in mid-December. It lasted for weeks. Feel better soon - water water water and a nice cup of herb tea every now and then is just the thing

Thanks, am sipping my Yogi passion herb tea right now. Lots of fluids and fruits too. Did you swim while you were sick for weeks?

renie
February 11th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah, just getting over a miserable cold that kept me out of the pool most of last week. Had to get back in the pool on Saturday because I have a meet this weekend. I am not 100% at practice but I am getting better with every practice.

I finally went back yesterday and had a decent workout. Today I felt good and did spin and power yoga classes. Now I am wiped out. dizzy too.:badday:

renie
February 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Wow, how did you swim a meet after fever for 2 days? I'm impressed. Hope you're 100% soon.

renie
February 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM
All 3 of my children currently have these symptoms and the hacking cough. So far, I only have congestion and a sore throat, but I feel like a sitting duck.

VA has been hit heavily by the flu. I got a notice from my son's high school the other days saying the school had been heavily hit and to keep your kids at home. So they can make their parents sick.

Be afraid, be very afraid! That's the subtle start to the long road of misery, filled with many variations of illness--hope you can nip it in the bud. There's a lot of meds and herbs that work if started immediately.

renie
February 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM

I do think the antibiotics really made a significant effect on my progress, although today I feel pretty dizzy and out of it, probably from swimming 3000 yds yesterday, then spin class and power yoga today. How many days did you miss of swimming or working out? I hate when I skip, I feel like a big wuss, and really feel even worse when I don't workout, but truthfully, I didn't have the energy to carry my gym bag, let alone swim even moderately. No point in pushing a body that won't move.

aquageek
February 11th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Maybe the Tilex gave you the flu.

renie
February 11th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Maybe the Tilex gave you the flu.

No doubt it didn't help.:bump:

renie
February 11th, 2009, 05:21 PM
A little interesting comment by a chiropractor: she's been hit with a lot of visits from patients needing "rib readjustments" from the severe hacking cough that is part of this "bug."