PDA

View Full Version : How to get faster in 15 days?

Snap5
February 11th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Well, i am 14 years old, and i have a very important meet coming up for my club team. high school season just ended last week, and the meet is coming up in 15 days.
Anyways, top 6 people final per event, and for some reason, i am just coming short in some events.
My current times are: (in SCY)
50 free-26.82, and i will need to go a 26.23 to final (last time i did this event was about a week before christmas, so i assume i should go faster this time because i plan on being well tapered and alot stronger.)
100 free- 59.83, and i will need to go a 57.66 to final (Okay, for this event, what should i do? I have never really "sprinted" a full 100. i go at around 95% because if i go all out on the first 50, i am practically dead for the second one. Should i try to go all out on this race, or just play it safe?)
100 Breast- 1:14.75 (I will need to go around a 1:13 to final. I'm pretty sure i will be able to make this time, because, again, last time i did this was before christmas.)
I will plan on wearing a FSII legskin for my free events and a FSI Brief for my breast.
My current plan is to go all out at practice for the remainder of this week and all of next week, then taper the week after that, and the meet is friday - sunday. I will plan on lifting weights this week and next week to become stronger for the meet. I practice about 3.5 hours daily, by going to two practices, but the week before the meet, i will only be in for maximum of two hours.

So, my question to you is, what will i need to work on for each event to go this faster than ever before in 15 days? Any comments on my taper schedule? Anything to add?

Thanks again :)

ande
February 11th, 2009, 11:49 PM
REST

work on your 25 speed

compete in a blue seventy Nero Comp or an FS PRO hineck
Tip 201 Which Suit Suits you? More On Racing Suits

Even More On Suits

Wear a Speedo Aqua V
Tip 227 V-lieve it or Not

read Swim Faster Faster

Well, i am 14 years old, and i have a very important meet coming up for my club team. high school season just ended last week, and the meet is coming up in 15 days.
Anyways, top 6 people final per event, and for some reason, i am just coming short in some events.
My current times are: (in SCY)
50 free-26.82, and i will need to go a 26.23 to final (last time i did this event was about a week before christmas, so i assume i should go faster this time because i plan on being well tapered and alot stronger.)
100 free- 59.83, and i will need to go a 57.66 to final (Okay, for this event, what should i do? I have never really "sprinted" a full 100. i go at around 95% because if i go all out on the first 50, i am practically dead for the second one. Should i try to go all out on this race, or just play it safe?)
100 Breast- 1:14.75 (I will need to go around a 1:13 to final. I'm pretty sure i will be able to make this time, because, again, last time i did this was before christmas.)
I will plan on wearing a FSII legskin for my free events and a FSI Brief for my breast.
My current plan is to go all out at practice for the remainder of this week and all of next week, then taper the week after that, and the meet is friday - sunday. I will plan on lifting weights this week and next week to become stronger for the meet. I practice about 3.5 hours daily, by going to two practices, but the week before the meet, i will only be in for maximum of two hours.

So, my question to you is, what will i need to work on for each event to go this faster than ever before in 15 days? Any comments on my taper schedule? Anything to add?

Thanks again :)

CoachML
February 12th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Every day and about 15 minutes before you swim, visualize the race. Picture yourself in perfect streamline. Picture strength in every stroke and kick. Practice getting in the zone. You should be able to elevate your heart beat simply by thinking about the movements. By the end of your visualization you should feel full of energy.

The day before, have a whole bunch of carbs.

Stretching further helps.

Don't you dare think negative. Every time the thought comes into your mind, focus your mind, breath in and say to yourself "I can".

Other than that, your work out seems in fine. You can get faster in two weeks if you push yourself, but what's really going to help is to defeat yourself mentally.

nkfrench
February 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM
At this point you need to trust that you've put in the work that you need to make those times, and have confidence that you will swim faster with the preparations over your season and with your taper.

The pace that you can take a race out in should feel the same perceived effort as you did during your in-season meets but your times should come down.

You should have more energy as you get into the taper. Remember to relax and don't waste the extra energy by adding extra activities to your life. Save it for the pool. Be sure to get enough sleep.

In past years in my area, many high school swimmers did "reverse tapers" - two weeks before their championship meet, they decide to swim extra yards and 2-a-day practices to get really-really in shape. Almost without exception, they swim very poorly at their meet as they are too fatigued -- they left their race in the practice pool.

orca1946
February 12th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I don't think a drop in the 100 will be attainable at this time. That's a big drop. Try to set goals that will be good for your brain. Those are very good times for now. You will see time drops as you mature & build more muscle in the future. Good luck.

craig68
February 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Good advice here.

I would also recommend a couple of very fast turns each day in practice. It's easy to get a little lazy with turns in practice, so that the turn itself is slows down. But it can also be frustrating to botch your turns (hesitating on your approach or flipping too far or too close) because you are not used to approaching the wall at your race speed. Try starting just outside the flags, sprint to the wall, quick turn, and then great streamline and a few fast strokes out of the wall.

I know a lot of age group and high school teams don't work a lot on starts in season. You might want to do a few starts each day, too. But not too many, as they are very tiring for your legs.

aquageek
February 12th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Roll starts seem to help some.

Snap5
February 12th, 2009, 06:35 PM
thanks for the help everybody, and the encouragement. you guys really know what you are doing.

flippergirl
February 12th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I am new to this forum and I have a meet feb 28. Instead of feeling reluctent I can't wait to try these ides every day. Thank you.

CoachML
February 12th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I am new to this forum and I have a meet feb 28. Instead of feeling reluctent I can't wait to try these ides every day. Thank you.You're welcome, and good luck.

slowfish
March 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM

so...how did it go? did you hit your times?

Snap5
March 8th, 2009, 10:17 PM
so...how did it go? did you hit your times?

Ah yes, i went a 56.80 On my 100 free (4th place), a 25.89 on my 50 free (3rd place), and a 1:14.24 on my 100 breast (4th place). All best times. I did alot better than expected. Thanks everyone for all of the help! :)