PDA

View Full Version : WHO is YOUR Coach?

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM
This is the time of the year that newsletters begin addressing the nominations for your LMSC Coach of the Year.
These annual awarded coaches are then submitted as nominations for the USMS Coach of the Year Award.

Believe it or not, many years, no coaches are even nominated and the LMSC committees have to return to the membership and plead for nominations!

Take a few moments and consider your coach. Or a coach in your LMSC. Or perhaps even your "virtual coach" from this very USMS Discussion Forum.

Last year, I happened to be at the Regional Championships for both the PMS and SPMA when their Coach of the Year Awards were announced.

The Coaches Chair for the PMS, Chris Campbell, did an exceptional job in presenting the 2008 Pacific Masters Swim Coach, Laureen Welting.
He asked the entire crowd in attendance to come forward and sit or stand around the pool deck.
The presentation did not begin until everyone was present and quietly attentive.
Coach Laureen Welting of The Olympic Club received her very deserved recognition and everyone present felt a part of the celebration.

My hope is that each of you will help drive a great year for recognizing your USMS Masters Coaches for all they offer.
Even if it is only unlocking the gate at 5:45am every morning so that you can swim.
Or perhaps, launching you into your best masters swimming year ever!

Take a few moments and appreciate your coach. It will be worth every second of your time.

pwb
February 13th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Are the nomination forms online? I certainly want to get Laura Winslow recognized!

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Are the nomination forms online?

Past USMS Coach of the Year recipients as well as the new Kerry O'Brien Coaching Award info are posted at the USMS link:
http://www.usms.org/coach/coy.php (http://www.usms.org/coach/coy.php)

Check with your LMSC or your Coaches Chair for the procedure in your area to nominate your coach.

The SPMA Newsletter included these nomination instructions to our membership this month:

2008 Coach of the Year nominations
Nominations are now open for the 2008 Coach of the Year nominations.

The selection criteria are as follows: the Coach of the Year is selected on the basis of inspirational and instructional qualities; club and individual accomplishments, including championships and world records; and non-competitive club and individual accomplishments, including club size and growth, club participation, volunteering, and events run by the club; and the coach's service to SPMA, USMS and other Masters organizations, participation in clinics, and published works.

To nominate your coach, provide a letter listing his or her accomplishments, and a maximum of four letters from your teammates supporting your nomination.
Nominations are due by March 31, 2009 and should be submitted to the SPMA office by email (pdf, Word, or text file) at registrar@spma.net. Total size for the file(s) must not exceed 1 MB per application. Submit as one email, not separate emails for each letter.

Please contact the SPMA office if you are not able to submit by email or if you have any questions. The telephone number is (626) 296-1841.

orca1946
February 14th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Our coach is great! Corinne Grotenhuis. She has a sport that has many interested people. She is also a olympic power lifter . She has numerous world records!:applaud:
Our team is the Elgin Blue wave in Ill. We have finished 3rd in state the last 3 years.:applaud:

Swims With Twins
February 17th, 2009, 12:30 AM
My coach is my wife, Amanda. She has been working with me on my breaststroke. She puts in a great deal of time on deck - working with me on stroke technique and other aspects.

This weekend, I just went 2:32.06 in the Men's 50-54 200SCM Breast and broke the old record of 2:32.78 from 7/08.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
My coach is my wife, Amanda. She has been working with me on my breaststroke. She puts in a great deal of time on deck - working with me on stroke technique and other aspects.

This weekend, I just went 2:32.06 in the Men's 50-54 200SCM Breast and broke the old record of 2:32.78 from 7/08.

HEY - NOMINATE HER MAN!!

Sounds like she deserves the recognition of AT LEAST a nomination!

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 17th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Our coach is great! Corinne Grotenhuis. She has a sport that has many interested people. She is also a olympic power lifter . She has numerous world records!:applaud:
Our team is the Elgin Blue wave in Ill. We have finished 3rd in state the last 3 years.:applaud:

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME AND NOMINATE YOUR COACH!

She sounds very deserving of a nomination!

Swimalison
February 23rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
My coach, Matt Wilson is a God sent. He is the Aquatics Director at the YMCA where I am a member. I found out when he came to the Y that he was a former Clemson swimmer. I live in a small town in Maryland where there are NO Master's swim teams any where in the area...I introduced myself and begged that he coach me.
We currently have....THREE members on our team. He coaches us twice per week at no charge.
I just wish he would get in a swim with us a do some USMS swim meets!
He has worked with me tremendously on my BR (which I've been swimming the same way since I was about 5..hehe) I get compliments now on my underwater pullouts (due to Coach Matt) and made top ten in the U.S. in my age group!!!!!
Seriously, give this guy a wake up call and pick him!
He has so much talent and needs to be coaching a big Master's team!!!

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 23rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
My coach, Matt Wilson is a God sent. He is the Aquatics Director at the YMCA where I am a member. Seriously, give this guy a wake up call and pick him!

Alison Girl -

NOMINATE your coach!
Your club does not have to be a large. It is up to you and your team mates to write up the nomination and submit it to your LMSC for consideration.
Do it!
You never know...
Either way, I assure you that your coach will appreciate the recognition from his swimmers. And it may just inspire him to take on even more masters coaching!

Good luck and by the way, nice work on your own swimming and determination to improve!
Ahelee

Brian Stack
February 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
My coach, Matt Wilson is a God sent. He is the Aquatics Director at the YMCA where I am a member. I found out when he came to the Y that he was a former Clemson swimmer. I live in a small town in Maryland where there are NO Master's swim teams any where in the area...I introduced myself and begged that he coach me.
We currently have....THREE members on our team. He coaches us twice per week at no charge. <snip>
Seriously, give this guy a wake up call and pick him!
At the risk of a thread hijack, I'd like to posit the thought that you might have the seed to a bigger team right there. The one factor that we've been able to identify as a success indicator in Masters Swimming programs around the country is the presence and involvement of a coach. Some one who takes responsibility for the hours offered and provides creative, and productive practices. Someone who works with swimmers of all abilities to help them achieve their goals and create swimmers for life.
Sounds like you've already got that guy!
With a regular schedule, a little promotion, and some help from the Y and your LMSC, you could make your group of three into 20 in a few weeks. Swimmers come out of the woodwork when word of a good coach in the area gets around. Don't be afraid to let the triathletes know either.
Building a nice team around a coach is a good way to recognize him too!

That Guy
February 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Sounds like you've already got that guy!

:dunno:

Swimalison
February 28th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Alison Girl -

NOMINATE your coach!
Your club does not have to be a large. It is up to you and your team mates to write up the nomination and submit it to your LMSC for consideration.
Do it!
You never know...
Either way, I assure you that your coach will appreciate the recognition from his swimmers. And it may just inspire him to take on even more masters coaching!

Good luck and by the way, nice work on your own swimming and determination to improve!
Ahelee

Thanks..ok. Will do!

Ahelee Sue Osborn
March 20th, 2009, 02:08 AM
HAVE YOU NOMINATED YOUR MASTERS SWIM COACH AS
"COACH OF THE YEAR" YET?

DEADLINES ARE FALLING ALL AROUND US... END OF MARCH!

The SPMA Guidelines for award nominations are here:

http://www.spma.net/html.php?bdy=awards_criteria.htm (http://www.spma.net/html.php?bdy=awards_criteria.htm)

(please check for your own LMSC's deadlines and requirements if you are not in the SPMA)

I just came off our monthly LMSC committee conference call where I heard the news that not one single SPMA coach nomination been received.
I am shocked by this and hope that it is not the same news in other areas of the country.

If you appreciate your coach swimmers, stand by them and be sure he/she is nominated.