PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Question

trinollinger
February 13th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Me again with a rookie question. I am getting ready to pack for the Auburn meet...are there any must-haves that I may have forgotten? Should I bring a chair? Will it be cold in the building? Do I need some kind of blanket? What about drinks/snacks...is there a concession stand of some kind?

Thanks for your help.

AnnG
February 13th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Yes bring a chair if you have one, I need back support and don't do well sitting in bleachers. Also make sure you have extra goggles and cap and enough towels to save one for your shower. Nothing worse than having to dry off with a cold wet chlorinated towel after your nice hot shower. Also bring adequate amounts of fluid, water, or whatever you wish for hydration. Our official team snack is Cheez Its, somehow they make you swim faster. I prefer the white cheddar but any variety will work. Have fun!

KEWebb18
February 13th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I always enjoy having a gatorade (or powerade if you prefer) and a banana. Maybe even a bagel or some crackers for a few more carbs.
I really recommend for your next meet getting one of those shammy towels--they take up less space in your bag and you can save your nice big fluffy towel for your after shower enjoyment.
Good luck! Please make sure that you let us know your thoughts on how the meet went and how you swam.

hnatkin
February 13th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I don't remember a concession stand last year, just All American Swim Supply so you can get equipment, and maybe a power bar from them.
Sunday morning everything is closed in Auburn so buy your breakfast Sat - I think there's a Winn Dixie where you can pick up some food.
Also, definitely bring some clothing to wear on deck or you will get cold. Sweats or long sleeve short and shorts at least.

Glider
February 13th, 2009, 05:31 PM
No concession stand, but they did have an assortment of donuts and pastries on deck. Breakfast of champions:drown:

I second the chair, the bleachers aren't very comfy...

Rnovitske
February 13th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Maybe you can take away some relevant tips from our meet's advice to swimmers new to competition
http://www.alexandriamasters.com/meet/FirstMeet.pdf

orca1946
February 14th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I argree - camping chair, gatoraid, snacks, extra towel, extra shirt,extra goggles, flip flops, shampoo, lock for the locker room & a good attitude! Have fun!:bliss: