PDA

View Full Version : Zoomers Red or Blue

magyarjuli
February 13th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Hey everyone I need help! I want to purchase a pair of Zoomer fins because everyone in my class uses them. All the sites say to buy the red ones but I have heard they are uncomfortable. Help which ones do I buy? Also anyone know a good site to buy them off of?

I also need help with this sweet tooth of mine. I have been swimming my butt off not losing any weight because I still consume a crap load of calories and not all good ones.

gigi
February 13th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I've had a pair of blue zoomers for a million years and I have always liked them. They seem pretty pliable and they don't seem overly taxing when I use them. I've never tried the red, but I can say that for at least 10 years (from age 40 to 50) the blue zoomers have done the trick for me.

And I think you already answered your own question on the weight loss issue! :)

orca1946
February 14th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Sorry!! ALL zoomers hurt!!! I don't know what they make them from, but it's too hard! I have gone to Kiefer silicone fins. What a world of difference! Nice feeling even after a long set. Look them up , you will really like them!

ViveBene
February 14th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Blue. Once you determine your size by trying on some for fit, they are widely available in sporting goods stores and online.

Get the sweet fix from whole fruits (I often bring a handful of grapes or cherries or apple slices to follow a hard swim; chocolate milk is also good), count calories as you would count laps, try flavorful unsweetened herbal teas (cinnamon works well here). Incremental, reasonable goals.

Hey everyone I need help! I want to purchase a pair of Zoomer fins because everyone in my class uses them. All the sites say to buy the red ones but I have heard they are uncomfortable. Help which ones do I buy? Also anyone know a good site to buy them off of?

I also need help with this sweet tooth of mine. I have been swimming my butt off not losing any weight because I still consume a crap load of calories and not all good ones.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
We recommend the Z2s made by Zoomers.
Seem to be an updated model of the heavier red/blue originals. They are navy blue with a bit of a white stripe up front.

If you are training in smaller finz, these are worth trying. Definitely lighter and more flexible. You can get your kick moving quicker.

It might just be me, but I have found the times I swim using the Z2s in practice are pretty close to the times I actually swim in the meets.

Z2s are certainly not the big long power finz that lots of of masters swimmers seem to crave and enjoy.
But if I have to wear finz, I like these.
(I used to wear the blue ZOOMERS)

Also, the super light ZURA Alpha Fins are probably the lightest thing out there. I have seen love them / hate them opinions by area coaches.
But if you have very sensitive tootsies - or very little leg muscle power, these might work for you.
A coach here recommended the Alpha Fins to a 65ish man who had zero kick power and he (the coach) actually hates these fins for anyone else!
Karlynn PN loves them as we all know :)

Paul Smith
February 14th, 2009, 12:02 PM
We recommend the Z2s made by Zoomers.
Seem to be an updated model of the heavier red/blue originals. They are navy blue with a bit of a white stripe up front.

If you are training in smaller finz, these are worth trying. Definitely lighter and more flexible. You can get your kick moving quicker.

It might just be me, but I have found the times I swim using the Z2s in practice are pretty close to the times I actually swim in the meets.

Z2s are certainly not the big long power finz that lots of of masters swimmers seem to crave and enjoy.
But if I have to wear finz, I like these.
(I used to wear the blue ZOOMERS)

Also, the super light ZURA Alpha Fins are probably the lightest thing out there. I have seen love them / hate them opinions by area coaches.
But if you have very sensitive tootsies - or very little leg muscle power, these might work for you.
A coach here recommended the Alpha Fins to a 65ish man who had zero kick power and he (the coach) actually hates these fins for anyone else!
Karlynn PN loves them as we all know :)

Ahelee, I 100% agree on the Z2's...zoomers in my opinion (red or blue) are to still...I also like the TYR split fins. Either of these will not produce the kind of speed that some masters out there are getting with these big long "scuba/snorkel" fins but in my opinion thats a good thing. Tempo/cadence gets so screwed up for fin addicts so if you really want to improve your "swimming" use fins sparingly and in the right kind of sets...not to move to a faster lane.

cathym
February 15th, 2009, 06:47 PM
another vote for the zoomers Z2-I wore out 2 pair of red zoomers-then started feeling tightness in the lower back at the end of every workout. No back pain since using the Z2 fins-and they seem to be more durable than the original zoomers.

2fish&1whale
February 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Ahelee, I 100% agree on the Z2's...zoomers in my opinion (red or blue) are to still...I also like the TYR split fins. Either of these will not produce the kind of speed that some masters out there are getting with these big long "scuba/snorkel" fins but in my opinion thats a good thing. Tempo/cadence gets so screwed up for fin addicts so if you really want to improve your "swimming" use fins sparingly and in the right kind of sets...not to move to a faster lane.

I've got to second the TYR split fins-or any type of cross training fin.They are just a bit longer then the zoomers and made of a more flexible rubber.Have them, love them and would never go back to zoomers.

DolphinKick
February 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I use red zoomers. The only thing you need when using red is either shaved feet or socks. They scrape at the toes sometimes too. I've never tried blue...

magyarjuli
February 17th, 2009, 11:00 PM
HI Everyone thanks so much for everyone's help! I decided to go with the Z2's I hope I made a good decision.

ANyone have any suggestions though on how often I should use fins for training?

DolphinKick
February 18th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Well when you use them is a good question. I use them every day for about 700 yards for kicking and drilling. You can use fins for entire workouts to spare your shoulders a bit and strengthen your legs if needed. It's up to what you need from your practices.