PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my stroke

RFBG
February 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I used to compete until I was 15.
Now after 44 years I am thinking of training again.
I know swimming technique has evolved tremendously and will appreciate any help I can get to improve my stroke.
The video was taken recently and is located at
YouTube - Swim RFBG 01
Thanks in advance.

rtodd
February 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I guess it is like riding a bicycle. It looks like you never stopped. Very nice.

Pull...great, kick....great, recovery.....maybe a bit more rotation along with a bit higher, bent elbow recovery? Your left arm entry looks a bit close to the centerline. The right arm entry seemed better.

pwolf66
February 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Arms are swinging out too wide which is pulling your shoulders side to side. I would recommend a couple of drills to help your recovery be more linear than circular. The drills are finger tip drag, arm pit drill and zipper (thumb drag) drills. Those will help to promote a high elbow recovery and help to alleviate the fishtailing action of your shoulders, help to promote your hands entering the water at or just outside your shoulders and give you a more efficient catch. If you want more elaboration on each drill let me know.

I like your kick, wish mine was as nice. Nice head position from what I could tell.

RFBG
February 16th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the valuable input.
I see what you guys mean regarding the recovery and will give the drills a try.
Back in the 60's we were told we needed to "finish our stroke" all the way to mid thigh. Now some do almost that like Schoeman while others exit much more promptly.
I guess it's a question of trying the various possibilities and let the stop watch be the judge.

thewookiee
February 16th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Back in the 60's we were told we needed to "finish our stroke" all the way to mid thigh. Now some do almost that like Schoeman while others exit much more promptly.
I guess it's a question of trying the various possibilities and let the stop watch be the judge.

In talking with several elite coaches, they are teaching the stroke to finish around the lower end of your hip area(if you were wearing a drag suit, the end of it) They believe this keeps the recovery in a more circular motion back to the front and less linear. From a personal experience, I do find that this helps to keep the stroke flowing. Pushing too far down almost makes the recovery become work, which is something to avoid.

Regina
February 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Two basics that I notice would assist your stroke:
1) Distance Per Stroke (DPS). You have good tempo BUT your DPS needs significant improvement as you have little glide between arm strokes. Do 20-40 x 25's getting down to 7 or 8 strokes with 10-15 seconds rest. Gradually decrease rest and maintain DPS.
2) Your body is "Shifting" from side to side rather than rotating which increases drag and slows time.
You do ride high on the water which is good.
The Best
Regina