PDA

View Full Version : A couple questions

_Josh
February 17th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Do lycra swimsuits usually wear out after about 2 months of workouts? I got mine for Christmas and I already have to wear double jammers because you can see through it. I've been swimming about 4-6 days a week since Christmas. When i was younger I didnt swim in lycra, so im not sure if its the material or if its a combo of a lot of use, chlorine, and the spin drier at the pool.

Second, has anyone ever, I guess lost hair from swimming? I used to have pretty hairy arms and legs. In the last couple weeks, I have noticed that its not as thick as it used to be. When I rub my hands on my arms, its prickly like I shaved them, but I havent. Is this the chlorine eating away my hair? Has anybody ever experienced this? Im curious to know as to whats the cause.

ALM
February 17th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Do lycra swimsuits usually wear out after about 2 months of workouts? I got mine for Christmas and I already have to wear double jammers because you can see through it. I've been swimming about 4-6 days a week since Christmas. When i was younger I didnt swim in lycra, so im not sure if its the material or if its a combo of a lot of use, chlorine, and the spin drier at the pool.

Second, has anyone ever, I guess lost hair from swimming? I used to have pretty hairy arms and legs. In the last couple weeks, I have noticed that its not as thick as it used to be. When I rub my hands on my arms, its prickly like I shaved them, but I havent. Is this the chlorine eating away my hair? Has anybody ever experienced this? Im curious to know as to whats the cause.

These forums have a search function. You will find many threads that discuss both of your questions. The short answers are:

1) Yes, lycra suits only last 2-3 months. Yes, it's a combination of use, chlorine, and the spinner. The solution is to buy 100% polyester, PBT, or nylon suits. Stay away from Lycra and Spandex, even in small proportions. Even a suit that is part polyester and part lycra will degrade.

2) Yes, there are other threads on this subject. If memory serves me correctly, the problem may be that your pool is too alkaline. Find the old threads and read them; if my memory is correct, then talk to your pool management.

orca1946
February 17th, 2009, 11:40 AM
Polyester suits will last much longer!!

nkfrench
February 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yes. Before the poly or dura fabrics were in use, double- or triple-suiting or wearing a nylon drag suit would provide coverage. Don't stack with a new suit as the friction with another suit will cause premature wear.

Yes. I've had my hair bleach white and break off where it sticks out of my swimcap too.

ande
February 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM
chlorine water does a great job of breaking down human hair & lycra
wear a cap to protect your head hair
I replace lycra suits every 2 months or so
nylon drag suits last many months