PDA

View Full Version : Creative Ideas Needed

gobears
February 18th, 2009, 07:54 AM
This is slightly off-topic but I'm wondering if any of you have any fun pool game ideas for a large group pool party for 5th graders. I'm in charge of our class party games committee and have a few ideas but figured there would be lots of creativity here. We will be in the community pool (6 lane, 25 yard--deep end is around 8 ft.). Any ideas?

aquageek
February 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Sent you a PM.

DolphinKick
February 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Guppies - round based game, unlimited rounds. One guy is "it" on one side of the pool, the rest are on the other side. The one whose it calls for everyone to go in and simultaneously goes in the water (along with anyone captured). The goal of everyone not it is to swim to the other side without being tagged or captured. When everyone is either on the other side or captured the round ends. The captured help the person whose it and the rounds continue until the last person is caught or survives a round alone. The first person who was caught becomes it.

You can also race.

You can also play a sneak across game like colors, jailbreak, or some other clone in which someone's on a diving board or starting block facing away from the pool, and some condition forces the rest of the players to cross the pool. If the person on the board/block catches them crossing, that person dives off and tries to catch them and anyone caught is it.

Hope that helped.

Redbird Alum
February 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Rag-tag.

One wet rag/towel. A bunch of swimmers. Deck, boards, water. No out of bounds or "safe" zone.

gobears
February 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks, all! Redbird--I assume the wet rag gets thrown to tag. Once you're tagged are you out? Do you use boards as shields? Not sure if the teachers will let me get away with this one but it sure sounds fun!

ande
February 19th, 2009, 09:03 PM
whale attack is a blast
it's like guppies or sharks and minnows
BUT
the swimmer who's IT has to touch the swimmers who aren't IT on the surface
if you're underwater they have to catch you and drag you to the surface
it's good to play in the deep end
set boundaries

whale starts on the opposite side
minnows are standing on the deck they can dive in and attempt to swim to the other side

swims towards the those who aren't it
if the whale attacker touches the side where those who aren't it are
they are it and help him catch

SwimStud
February 19th, 2009, 09:10 PM
This is slightly off-topic but I'm wondering if any of you have any fun pool game ideas for a large group pool party for 5th graders. I'm in charge of our class party games committee and have a few ideas but figured there would be lots of creativity here. We will be in the community pool (6 lane, 25 yard--deep end is around 8 ft.). Any ideas?

Cola Chug Relays?

Nannerpuss
February 20th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Kickboard tossing for distance and/or accuracy.

Or throw pancakes if you are worried about safety.

Redbird Alum
February 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks, all! Redbird--I assume the wet rag gets thrown to tag. Once you're tagged are you out? Do you use boards as shields? Not sure if the teachers will let me get away with this one but it sure sounds fun!

Yes, the wet rag is the tagging device. Rather than being "out" the tagged kid becomes "it" and has to tag someone else. You can also introduce additional rags if the crowd is larger, which increases the intensity and participation.

Back in the days before litigation, we would throw the rag at people as they went off the boards, as well, but perhaps that would be too risky for most public pool staff to stomach today!