PDA

View Full Version : Suits for Breaststroke

jordangregory
February 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Swimmers,
I am contemplating which suit to buy. I am mainly a breaststroker and have been looking at the Fastskin Pro vs the Fastskin II. Anyone with any experience as to which one is better. Any problems with either of these? The last competition suit I wore was in 1995, a "paper suit".

ande
February 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
this post tells you all the stuff to get for yout meet

Tip 201 Which Suit Suits you? More info On Racing Suits

Tip 214 Even More On Racing Suits

The Blue Seventy Nero Comp is a great suit for Breastroke.
Probably the best.

Of the 2 you mentioned
The FS PRO is WAY better than the FS 2, & it's often priced lower

Just remember the FS PRO is not as stretchy as the FS II
I'm 6' 3 & 3/4ths, 215ish, I wear a large long FS PRO & could not squeeze into a LARGE
I'd go with the FULL Body style, hineck

Swim Faster Faster Index

Swimmers,
I am contemplating which suit to buy. I am mainly a breaststroker and have been looking at the Fastskin Pro vs the Fastskin II. Anyone with any experience as to which one is better. Any problems with either of these? The last competition suit I wore was in 1995, a "paper suit".

Allen Stark
February 23rd, 2009, 03:55 PM
FS Pro is MUCH better than FS II.I have had no problem with either.Most of my competition wears B-70s for BR,but for me the LZR is faster.

Karen Duggan
February 23rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
I realize I'm not helping you here, b/c you said you don't want to wear the
B70, but it's the fastest tech suit I've worn, and been comfy in, for breaststroke. I went soooo much farther off my starts and walls, as much of my 200 is u/w. The "crotch" area fit well so it wasn't distracting while I swam.

I will say, in all seriousness, that what was distracting was how fast I felt. It was effortless...

jim clemmons
February 23rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
Never used the FS Pro, but have used the FSII and the B70. I'd vote for the B70 if it's speed you're after and not gonna risk your mortgage payment to get it (this comment made in jest and for those that believe the world's going to end due to the technical suit issue). :cool:

jim clemmons
February 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
I will say, in all seriousness, ...

Just like Karen, "in all seriousness"....:D

Swimalison
February 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
GREAT question..I want to know too.
I have the Speedo highneck full body pro myself...Haven't swam in a meet with it yet.
Are you all sure the full body is ok for BR??????????

swoomer
February 23rd, 2009, 06:17 PM
If you are a female and are petite on top, the FS Pro can fill up with water, even if the bottom fits correctly. I have spoken with others who have had the same probem. I prefer the FS2 to the pro for that reason. I can't speak for the male experience in this regard.

Karen Duggan
February 23rd, 2009, 11:27 PM
Swimalison- The B70 is the only full body suit that I have liked in competition for breaststroke. I've tried TYR and Speedo, didn't like the fit in the crotch... TMI, I'm sure, but the crotch is very important in breaststroke! :agree:

Ya know Clemmons, I just like to throw out big words once in awhile to remind myself that I'm a grown up!
As if 4 kids ever lets me forget! :lmao:

The Fortress
February 23rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
If you are a female and are petite on top, the FS Pro can fill up with water, even if the bottom fits correctly. I have spoken with others who have had the same probem. I prefer the FS2 to the pro for that reason. I can't speak for the male experience in this regard.

I'm petite on top, and I definitely prefer the Pro to the FS II.

I'm not a breaststroker, but every breaststroker I know prefers the B70 to prior fastskins. I thought the suit on the legs thing was a debunked myth.

Glider
February 24th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Breaststroker here. Kneeskin (B70 preferably) is the way to go IMO. No legskins for me. For the reasons Karen said...Plus I like feeling the water on the inside of my shins.

I'm not a breaststroker, but every breaststroker I know prefers the B70 to prior fastskins. I thought the suit on the legs thing was a debunked myth.

Rykno
February 24th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I have the Pro jammers and like them. I decided to waiting until I stop losing weight, or atleast get to a managable weight before I buy a body suit.

I plan on buying a B70, but since my purchase is 9-12 months away, something else might come out before then.

Karen Duggan
February 24th, 2009, 12:54 AM
With the proposed FINA suit "regulations" I wouldn't be surprised to see the
B70 become the B170 and add .5mm thickness! (No, I haven't talked to Roque, just my own ponderings). But I don't think that will be out for awhile yet. I guess the suit I'm waiting to buy, like most new technology, is really already obsolete. I never thought I'd buy an "old school" $400 suit! :D

BillS
February 24th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I hated my FS Pro full suit for breaststroke. I felt like I had lousy feel for the water with my legs, and the straps bugged me in the pull. I swam faster in jammers.

I had no adverse issues at all swimming breaststroke with the B70 full suit, and dropped a significant amount of time. I think it helps me more for breast than for free.

swoomer
February 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Maybe it's because I'm not as petite on the bottom. Even for breaststroke I prefer the full body suit. It seems to give support to dying legs on the 200 and keeps streamlines streamlined on pullouts. My next purchase will be the B70.

The Fortress
February 24th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Maybe it's because I'm not as petite on the bottom. Even for breaststroke I prefer the full body suit. It seems to give support to dying legs on the 200 and keeps streamlines streamlined on pullouts. My next purchase will be the B70.

I think you're right ...

I've seen quite a few fast breaststrokers in the full body B70s, including Glenn Mills.

jim clemmons
February 24th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I think you're right ...

I've seen quite a few fast breaststrokers in the full body B70s, including Glenn Mills.

I had a FSI, full legs, that I hated for breaststroke. All of my other tech suits, except that one, were short johns (aka: knee length) until the B70 and I gotta say, I was skeptical - until I swam in it - and I immediately changed my attitude to acceptance.

Allen Stark
February 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I was outspoken that knee length was the way to go for BR.Then Tim Shead broke his 100M WR by 4 sec in a LZR and I thought"I have to try one."Full length doesn't feel as good to me,but the clock doesn't lie.

Its a slow show
February 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Allen- maybe some new records with the LZR at Clovis???

Allen Stark
February 24th, 2009, 09:00 PM
That would be nice,but Bob Strand has made the records way fast.

The Fortress
February 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM
That would be nice,but Bob Strand has made the records way fast.

Isn't your LZR worn out by now anyway, Allen? :angel:

jordangregory
February 24th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I have seen some of you state that you swim faster in the B70 as opposed to other suits. Anyone care to state how much faster? And faster than which suit? I can't imagine paying $500 for a suit, but I might start imagining for a few seconds.

Karen Duggan
February 25th, 2009, 01:00 AM
For me 1-3 seconds per 50, and the distance doesn't matter. So in a 200 I would swim anywhere from 4-12 seconds faster. Significant enough for me to buy the suit.

Last September I swam 200 breast (SCM) in 3:12 with a TYR tech suit. In October with a B70, 3:00. (I can't remember the tenths). I did not taper and had not been swimming much, had bronchitis and my dog died (the perfect storm for swimming poorly). Put on the suit and swam a lot better than I deserved to (ie not much work put in beforehand).

Swimalison
February 25th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Swimalison- The B70 is the only full body suit that I have liked in competition for breaststroke. I've tried TYR and Speedo, didn't like the fit in the crotch... TMI, I'm sure, but the crotch is very important in breaststroke! :agree:

Ya know Clemmons, I just like to throw out big words once in awhile to remind myself that I'm a grown up!
As if 4 kids ever lets me forget! :lmao:

Yeah, I know what you mean about the crotch. I tried the regular FS pro (not highneck) and EWW..crotch area felt weird. So what should I do here...not use a tech suit at all for next meet (goal is to get on top ten in all SCY BR events!!!) Any other suits besides B70 (which is WAY too damn expensive ...maybe I can find a used one somewhere?) that you can recommmend for fast BR swimming? THANKS!!!

Swimalison
February 25th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Ok..And how do the B70 sizes run? HELP! I'm about a 30 in a REGULAR Speedo suit. And I think a 27 in the FS PRo. What size would I need in the B70? Is there a cheap place to get a B70????:dunno:

Midas
February 25th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I have seen some of you state that you swim faster in the B70 as opposed to other suits. Anyone care to state how much faster? And faster than which suit? I can't imagine paying $500 for a suit, but I might start imagining for a few seconds.

I honestly don't know that I have. In a recent meet, I bettered by 200 Breast time by 2 seconds compared to the time I swam last year in a pair of FS Pro Jammers (also I was shaved for that meet). But there are a lot of reasons for that improvement outside of the suit. For example, last year's time was the first time I has swum the 200 breast in over 15 years and so my strategy was a little off. Also, I had no competition in that race (due to vastly underestimating my seed time), and thus nobody pushed me. This year, I swam it coming out of my taper for the hour swim, had real competition and had a few more 200 breast races under my belt.

At my next meet (still 2 months off) I plan on wearing the jammers and shaving again to see how I do... Outside of Karen, I'm not sure many people would experience multiple second drops per 50 by donning the suit...

jim clemmons
February 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM
... Outside of Karen, I'm not sure many people would experience multiple second drops per 50 by donning the suit...

I certainly didn't. Maybe mine's defective.:bitching:

Karen Duggan
February 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Jim, I put my legs in the arm holes and made bunny ears off of my head with the legs. Isn't that right?
No wonder y'all aren't seeing my time drops :D

Knightswimmer2
March 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
What about the men's perspective?(not to offend the ladies) I have my state meet coming up in mid april and I cant decide if I want to go with the hi-neck or just legs. The last 2 years I went legs only and I liked it, but now im seeing more and more breaststrokers going with the full body, and just dont know what to do. Any men have some first hand accounts of what they like/prefer?

BillS
March 4th, 2009, 02:14 PM
What about the men's perspective?(not to offend the ladies) I have my state meet coming up in mid april and I cant decide if I want to go with the hi-neck or just legs. The last 2 years I went legs only and I liked it, but now im seeing more and more breaststrokers going with the full body, and just dont know what to do. Any men have some first hand accounts of what they like/prefer?

I raced a couple of 50s in my Tyr legs, and didn't like them. I felt like I lost the feel for the water with my legs, and slipped on my kick. I did end up using them for IMs, because I felt the benefits in the other three strokes outweighed the downside iin breast.

As mentioned earlier, I hated my FS Pro full suit for breast. Same beef as the legskins on the kick, with the added annoyance of shoulder straps.

It felt a little strange to dive in in the B70 Nero full suit the first time, based on my negative experiences swimming breast in anything but jammers, but the results were unequivocal, with big, immediate time drops. I've swum a half dozen or so breaststroke races in it, from 50s to 200s, and I'm sold. I think the biggest benefit is in the distance and glide off the walls, with a secondary effect on the glide in the stroke. It does change my position in the water (I think I ride a lot higher, thanks to the buoyancy of the non-buoyant suit), and I do have to adjust my kick a little to avoid catching air now and then. But I think any adjustments I have to make are worth it for what I think I gain on every dive and push.

I recommend trying any full suit under race conditions prior to a focus meet if at all possible. They are different, and getting it on correctly is critical. I had my neck too low the first time I raced in it, and had water sluicing through while swimming -- something I hadn't noticed in warm-up.

Allen Stark
March 4th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I'd say definitely go full body with a B-70 or LZR(you have no choice with the B-70) FS Pro probably full body,but it's close.Any others probably legs or jammers.