PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Flipturns Suits Question

Daviewise
February 23rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Question about speedo flipturns suits for swimming laps.

I swim about a mile each workout, about 3-4 times a week (work full time + law school at night, so time is very limited). I bought a couple of pairs of the new Speedo Flipturns briefs because they were on sale and thought the wacky designs would be ridiculous enough to be fun. Anyways, I've already gone through two suits, in little more than about 4 months. It seems like the back of the suit gets saggy after 2 months.

Has anyone else had this experience? Could the fact that I sit in a hot tub for a few minutes after a swim be causing the fabric to lose its shape?

I mainly ask because I've seen posts where suits last much longer. In fact, I've had regular solid briefs last a lot longer than 2 months, swimming laps 3-4 times a week.

Any insight will be helpful. Thanks.

aquageek
February 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Look at the label. If it says even 1% of lycra that is the reason. You can't expect much more than what you got from those suits. Go poly suits.

Redbird Alum
February 23rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
... Go poly suits.

Agreed, especially if you are looking for durability over time in a variety of settings.

Iwannafly
February 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
I wear flipturns regularly and four or five months is all I get until they lose elasticity. I still wear them as a drag suit over a poly brief. Speedo's model name is Endurance. I've had an endurance brief for well over a year and it's still holding up.

Swimalison
February 23rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
YES! Some of mine I had to throw away! They just got baggy all over. But they don't all do this...it's weird and pis*es me off!!!hehe

nkfrench
February 23rd, 2009, 06:19 PM
Yes, hot tubs can shorten the lifespan of a lycra suit even more than the pool does.

Bobinator
February 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Yes, I had one and it stretched out faster than any suit I've ever owned!
I like Dolfin "Uglies"; they are CHEAP, UGLY IN A CUTE WAY, and they seem to NEVER WEAR OUT! :applaud:

coffeegirl
February 24th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I bought two flipturn suits last year and they each lasted about six months. They are cute and fun but know they are a short-term suit. It's the price you pay to look good and have something unique!

aztimm
February 24th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I also got a Flipturns suit last year...was pretty cheap on Amazon, around $12 I think. Initially I really liked it, as it had both a brief and drag suit in one. Normally I wear a regular brief with a mesh drag suit over it.

But after ~2 months, I had the same thing happen. Especially the outer drag portion really got stretched out, and the inner brief somewhat so. We don't have a hot tub at our pool, so that can't be to blame.

Lesson learned--you get what you pay for.

Daviewise
February 25th, 2009, 09:34 AM
One thing additional I realized after this morning's swim. I ususally use the centrifuge dryer at the gym to remove the water from my suit. I bet this has something to do with the suit losing its shape.

I'm going to experiment not using it for a while and see what happens. Although then there is the problem of having a wet suit in my bag at work all day. Maybe figure out a way to hang it in my file drawer?

aquageek
February 25th, 2009, 09:38 AM
It's lycra, there's only so much you can get out of lycra. The spinner probably doesn't help at all. You'll never have any issues if you buy Endurance +. FYI - Endurance + seem to run about a size big now.

Daviewise
February 25th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I actually ordered an Endurance suit on your recommendation. We'll see how it works out. Thanks for the advice. When you say a size big, do you mean that if I am a 32, I should then buy a 30?

Iwannafly
February 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I will share Bobinators opinion on Uglies. I alternate between my getting transparent Flipturns with an Endurance + brief and an Uglies drag suit. I've had the Uglies for nearly a year and it is still holding up remarkably well. It still has not stretched much.

aquageek
February 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I actually ordered an Endurance suit on your recommendation. We'll see how it works out. Thanks for the advice. When you say a size big, do you mean that if I am a 32, I should then buy a 30?

Yes, I ordered a 32 as well but a 30 would have been better. I think everyone on our team got them for Christmas this year and we all have commented on them being big.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 27th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I only look for the "Endurance" or Poly suit prints/colors that I LOVE for practice suits.

Since these suits last such a long time, I want to be sure I like them enough to have them around awhile.

For you girls, as much as you like the little skinny straps, just know that the straps do not last as long as the suit - and its lining.

But they are cute. And might be worth it to you for a few weeks.
Do not complain when you start to feel the skinny straps move around, the bottom hitch up and "slow" you down on the FAST 50s!

Swimming in a new beautiful suit that you love, will ONLY help you swim FASTER!
But it is a temporary "Wives of Orange County" solution!

Don't listen to the guys for advice about this FACT. They don't get it. Well, maybe a few might...

A beautiful new swim suit (that you love) will help you swim faster in practice for a short time and then? Time to go shopping again.

Now about that brownish ripped up suit you continue to wear as a thrifty tribute toward your present circumstances...
I also applaud your EXCELLENT FAST KICK-"A" SWIMMING!
It doesn't matter.
Belief in swimming fast is the key.
(read Ande's Swim Faster Faster tips)

Swimmers ARE Gods and Goddesses.
No doubt about it.

Swimalison
February 28th, 2009, 01:25 PM
One thing additional I realized after this morning's swim. I ususally use the centrifuge dryer at the gym to remove the water from my suit. I bet this has something to do with the suit losing its shape.

I'm going to experiment not using it for a while and see what happens. Although then there is the problem of having a wet suit in my bag at work all day. Maybe figure out a way to hang it in my file drawer?

No!!! Has nothing to do with it. I have never in my life used a centrifuge dryer on any of my suits. I own about 5 flipturns suits and they ALL stretch out awfully. Like to where the outer material is separated from the lining. It's awful. I love how flipturns suits look but made horrible!!! Oh well!!!

Iwannafly
February 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM
No!!! Has nothing to do with it. I have never in my life used a centrifuge dryer on any of my suits. I own about 5 flipturns suits and they ALL stretch out awfully. Like to where the outer material is separated from the lining. It's awful. I love how flipturns suits look but made horrible!!! Oh well!!!

I agree, the centrifuge should not damage suits. It doesn't heat the fabric up and it stretches it less than you putting it on, so it should do no damage to the fibers.
Endurance or Uglies are the way to go. Polyester is durable! Too bad it's not so cool in a leisure suit!:-)