PDA

View Full Version : NY Times article about Kenyon

pdjang
February 25th, 2009, 03:50 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/sports/othersports/25swim.html?pagewanted=1&ref=sports

Coach Jim Steen's dynasty at Kenyon - good read.

tjrpatt
February 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Secretary of State Condi Rice's speechwriter swam for Kenyon. Wow, nice pool for a Div. 3 program.

jim clemmons
February 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks Philipp.

Great "take away" from the article:

Asked which of Steen’s simple truths she has most tightly embraced, Menzel did not hesitate. “The one that’s really stuck with me,” she said, is, “you can approach anything two ways: under a threat or for the challenge.”

pwolf66
February 25th, 2009, 04:16 PM
One of our swimmers is on Kenyon's mens team.

thewookiee
February 25th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Secretary of State Condi Rice's speechwriter swam for Kenyon. Wow, nice pool for a Div. 3 program.

Nice article. Several friends have swam for Kenyon...they loved it. The campus and whole are are beautiful.

That pool is only about 3 years old. The old pool wasn't much to look at but with the success the team's have earned, they deserve that facility.

Thanks for posting.

CreamPuff
February 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Great article. Would love to train with him except for this confusing thought. . .

"The best swimmers at Kenyon would be challenged to make the traveling squads for the top Division I programs , [I]though not for lack of training. They spend as much time working out as their counterparts at powerhouses like Michigan or Stanford."

:confused:

jim clemmons
February 25th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Great article. Would love to train with him except for this confusing thought. . .

"The best swimmers at Kenyon would be challenged to make the traveling squads for the top Division I programs , [I]though not for lack of training. They spend as much time working out as their counterparts at powerhouses like Michigan or Stanford."

:confused:

I think he's referring to them putting in the time and effort - they just don't have quite the same "speed" component.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 25th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks to Jim C. and Jim T. who both posted this article today on different threads.
Good stuff that came at a good time for me :)

Out here in the west, we do find Kenyon College swimmers flowing into our masters swim clubs.

I have always felt a little thrill to meet one of them.

I know they've experienced some totally inspired swimming, and we will all benefit. These Kenyon swimmers are going to perform well in anything they choose to do... they watched and understand how to bring out the very best in every member of the team.

Nice work Coach Jim Steen.

(this is turning out to be a jim thread!)

tjrpatt
February 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I have always felt a little thrill to meet one of them.

Nice work Coach Jim Steen.

(this is turning out to be a jim thread!)

Ahelee,
They are swimmers, not gods. Has anyone from Kenyon placed well at Olympic Trials or made a Worlds/Olympic Team. Just wondering.

bergsteiger
February 26th, 2009, 03:34 PM
They are swimmers, not gods. Has anyone from Kenyon placed well at Olympic Trials or made a Worlds/Olympic Team.

My High School Water Polo coach swam for Kenyon and I have never met a kinder man nor a better coach in 20 years of swimming and playing water polo. Not to say that this was due to his attending Kenyon but there are other means to inspire others than simply placing in a world class event.

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 26th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Ahelee,
They are swimmers, not gods. Has anyone from Kenyon placed well at Olympic Trials or made a Worlds/Olympic Team. Just wondering.

I happen to LOVE and appreciate great teams and their coaches who win using ALL the members.
Swimmers like this flow out into the world and make it a better place.

We see them later in life, still enjoying the water - in masters swim clubs.

Not to say Olympians and Trials Qualifiers don't do this as well.

Swimmers are gods and goddesses to some of us.
Except for a few of the evil ones - and I'm not talking about breaststrokers.

CreamPuff
February 27th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I happen to LOVE and appreciate great teams and their coaches who win using ALL the members.
Swimmers like this flow out into the world and make it a better place.

We see them later in life, still enjoying the water - in masters swim clubs.

Not to say Olympians and Trials Qualifiers don't do this as well.

Swimmers are gods and goddesses to some of us.
Except for a few of the evil ones - and I'm not talking about breaststrokers.

I love my swimmer friends and even swimmer non-friends. Can't say I've really met an evil one. Couse I may be biased.

jonblank
February 27th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Has anyone from Kenyon placed well at Olympic Trials or made a Worlds/Olympic Team. Just wondering.
Jim Born (mid-80s) won gold @ PanAms 1987. He was also in the lead at 75 of his NCAAs 100 free (I think his junior year) when he MISSED THE WALL on his 3rd turn - still ended up 4th. Oops. There may be others who have done well internationally, but his name is the first that comes to mind.