PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Article on sports injury therapy

pdjang
February 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/sports/17blood.html?ref=health

I know that many of our fellow swimmers suffer from sports (swimming) related injuries. This article in the NY Times may (the operative word is may) could provide a very important advance in treatment.

The Fortress
February 25th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I posted this article a few days ago on my blog. This is the treatment I used on my shoulder in the first half of 2008.

Edit: Everyone looks at me with glazed eyes and puzzlement when I mention this therapy, but it seems to have helped my shoulder significantly.

jaegermeister
February 27th, 2009, 06:32 AM
This is a very interesting approach to treatment of musculoskeletal problems. From my perspective as an internist, I'd like to emphasize that though promising as an innovation, the specific role is yet to be determined.

To clarify, I don't have nearly the training or experience of an orthopedist or physiatrist or physical therapist. But I'm an experienced shoulder sufferer and MANY of my patients have the whole gamut of joint problems. I know how frustrating they can be and how limiting our current approaches to management are.

As it applies to swimmers, our typical scourge of rotator cuff tendonitis has a wide spectrum of severity. Some of us are likely lucky enough to have the right anatomy, the optimal elasticity of tendons, and probably a good routine to stay flexible and avoid injury. I'm in awe of the duration and intensity of training that some of my team-mates consistently put up.

For the rest of us mere mortals, we run the real and constant risk of fraying our shoulder tendons to shreds. We probably all know folks who have just been plain stubborn and have pushed themselves into major tendon tears. And while platelet rich plasma may well be a significant advance we have all been waiting for, I'd urge us to not expect miracles. We can't get around the limitations of the shoulder joint, and still have to baby it and coddle it with stretching and strengthening if we want to swim forever (which I want to do).

To summarize, I am very hopeful that in the not to distant future I will be sending my patients to have PRP injections when they are injured, but it behooves all of us to keep working hard to prevent injury in the first place.