PDA

View Full Version : February Fitness Overuse Syndrome

jaegermeister
February 26th, 2009, 09:12 PM
There's nothing special about February Fitness Overuse Syndrome: self-inflicted injury that could well result in a major setback from long-term goals.

Are any of your teams competing in February Fitness? Ours has for a long time, and it is taken very seriously. For those who don't do this, its simply a totaling of yardage swam for the month of February by a team, with individual recognition as well. Our coach is a great guy, so enthusiastic its difficult to not respond to his entreaties for more yards. Our team typically exceeds 2,000,000 yards and did so this past week on our way to somewhere around 2,300,000 as our goal.

What astounds me is how quickly I can lose sight of the problems this creates. The phrase "Too soon old and too late smart" comes to mind. We were doing a set of 400's yesterday, felt pretty good doing it, actually, but I could tell by the end of practice that it had been stressful. Felt it later in the day trying to get my sport coat on: shoulder pain!! This morning, I was relegated to kicking and breaststroke: I've got some definite shoulder issues.

All of this easily preventable if I had just done some rotator cuff exercises regularly as the yardage increased.

Karen Duggan
February 27th, 2009, 12:41 AM
We've done March Madness for the past several years. It's great. The one thing I loved was entering the 1650 one year at our Pac Champs and thinking it wasn't really that far! :bliss:

swimshark
February 27th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Since I practice with an age group team, I do February Fitness on my own. I don't do nearly the yardage you do and I :bow: to you. I hope your shoulder gets better. Only 1 more day left!

Ahelee Sue Osborn
February 27th, 2009, 07:05 PM
One of my swimmer/friends walked in with me to the 5:45am swim practice complaining about how TIRED AND SORE she was from swimming the February Fitness Challenge yardage.

I kept the front position and told her we can't EVER complain about self-induced pain... especially to a swimmer who is not participating due to more sprintish training!

On that note... I can not wait to hear the final yardage accomplished by all the USMS Swimmers -

And most especially the total for Jim Fitzpatrick here in Orange County, California!

GO JIM!!!

Congrats to all the February Fitness Challenge Swimmers!