PDA

View Full Version : Saline NOT best for pools

shebirk28@hotmail.co
February 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I swim 3 3/4 miles several times a week and cannot do this workout in a saline pool. The salt causes my skin nerves to feel pulled, and I experience bronchial problems and cough up salt for days. It may interest some to know the USOC does not sanction saline use. Saline generated chlorine is unstable and is hard to balance with pH - this can weaken antibacterial quality of chlorine. Saline is also salt and highly corrosive to pool mechanics and decks. Just think it's important to know the facts before anyone falls for the salt sales pitch.

Allen Stark
February 28th, 2009, 02:06 AM
I swam in a saline pool twice and the water just didn't feel right.This was surprising to me as I love to swim in the ocean.

poolraat
February 28th, 2009, 10:06 AM
My pool switched to saline last summer and I love it. My sinus problems have disappeared, I no longer have dry, flaky skin, and my hair (what little of it is still there) is normal for the first time in almost 10 years.

Ripple
February 28th, 2009, 10:16 AM
All but one of the city-owned and many of the privately run pools where I live are salt water and have been for about 15 years. It's easier on skin, sinuses, hair, and suits. I used to get about 5 months out of a lycra suit that would have lasted just 2 or 3 in a chlorine pool. The lifeguards tell me that it's actually easier on the pumping equipment, and safer for staff to handle. Of course, the pipe fittings to the equipment probably had to be changed for those of different materials, such as phosphor-bronze, that are normally used in a marine environment.
It sounds as though the pool where you swam wasn't set up properly. The only problem I have with swimming in saline pools is, when I get into a chlorine pool I suddenly have a slightly higher stroke count from being less buoyant.

knelson
February 28th, 2009, 12:36 PM
When bromine first came on the scene everyone thought it was better than chlorine for the same reasons. Turns out some people are allergic to bromine and for them it is obviously much worse. Seems like there is still no 'magic bullet' when it comes to pool chemicals.