PDA

View Full Version : Freestyle DVD Recommendations?

Dario Tirado
February 27th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I've been swimming masters for a bit over 2 yrs but I started pretty much from zero. Really, I could barely make it across a 25 yd pool.

I've improved with work and time but my mechanics still have a lot of room for improvement. I have done some individual lesson, in addition to masters swimming, with good results, but that can get a bit expensive pretty fast.

I was reading about Eddie Reese's DVD on freestyle and thought I might try it. Then I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has any additional recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Dario Tirado
March 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Just bumping my posting in case anyone w/feedback who hasn't read this might have a chance to respond.

jbs
March 3rd, 2009, 02:50 PM
I've liked Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen's DVD, which you can get through her website, www.aquaticedge.org.

qbrain
March 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Dario, do you know about http://www.usms.org/coach/videos.php?

I don't have any video recommendations for you, but I know $10 is cheaper than the retail price for the video you asked about.

Dario Tirado
March 4th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks for recommendation. I'm signing up for one of her freestyle clinic =)

Dario Tirado
March 4th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I didn't know about the video library. It's a great resource, thanks!

samson
March 19th, 2009, 02:32 PM
http://www.theraceclub.net/store/video-dvd/dvd-three-styles-of-freestyle.html

tdrop
March 19th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I have seen many freestyle videos including, david marsh, eddie reese, frank busch, and richard quick.

David Marsh's video is very technical and somewhat scattered in its presentation. Nevertheless, it is full of useful information, lots of drills and gimmicks for improving techniques. Talks about the two primary recovery styles, i.e., high elbow and open.

Eddie Reese, probably my favorite, is very straight forward but not necessarily up to date with the more modern forms of freestyle technique. He favors the high elbow recovery and is not necessarily an open freestyle proponent.

Frank Busch's video features lots of full stroke swimming from 8 different athletes with different types of freestyle. I like this one for presentation and watching the swimmers actually swim full stroke. good camera angles, above and below water.

Richard Quick's video is truly ground breaking. It features Milt Nelms and his awesome illustrations. it is very innovative and compelling. It doesn't pay a lot of attention to the arms and legs and instead focuses on the core.

I have learned something from all of them. In the end, I have learned as much from muting the instruction and just watching the swimmers swim.

orca1946
March 19th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I have followed Quick's work for a long time.