PDA

View Full Version : How many times per week do you swim?

Swimalison
February 28th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Just curious how often you all swim. When I say swim, of course I mean practice. Not floating..hehe.
I swim usually about 4 times per week. Sometimes I wonder if this is enough. On off days I either run or do weights....then take one day completely off.

smontanaro
February 28th, 2009, 02:08 PM
These days around 3x/wk, no more than 75min/session. I wish I could swim more, but the practice times and available lap swim times don't jive too well with my schedule.

Swimalison
February 28th, 2009, 02:09 PM
These days around 3x/wk, no more than 75min/session. I wish I could swim more, but the practice times and available lap swim times don't jive too well with my schedule.

I hear ya. I am a mom of 2 boys..so childcare plus times my coach is available is minimal...I'd love to be able to swim more. Someday!

anita
February 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM
3x

Just got word that the medication I have been on leeches calcium. I'm on calcium supplements but they want me to do as much weight bearing exercise as possible. I've cut my swimming to 3x/week and added in cardio/weights 2x/week.
Having a bone scan on Monday so we'll see if the 5x/week swimming plan I had been on kept me stable.

This completely screws up my GTD goal. Oh well.

Allen Stark
February 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM
4,almost never 3,sometimes 5

smontanaro
February 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM
This completely screws up my GTD goal.

At least it's just a number on a GTD spreadsheet, not a big ass number on a bank balance sheet or something. Just fudge it downwards a bit... :D (At the rate I'm going there's no way I'll reach my GTD goal either.)

LonghornbackinTX
February 28th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I am averaging 3 times a week. Would like to get it up to 6 times a week.

gigi
February 28th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I had to make a choice in the poll - I almost always swim 5 times a week, sometimes 4, almost never ever 3. So I went with 3-4 because I never swim 6 days a week and that rules out 5-6.
I plan to do a long course meters meet in late June, which will (I think) be my last meet until next fall, and after that I may back off on the 5 days a week thing to make room for a little running, biking, and such

tjrpatt
February 28th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I usually swim 6 days a week. Saturday is usually a low key 3K workout at my local Y. I used to do the "swim every other day thing" and it just didn't produce the results that I wanted. It may work for some people but not me.

Swimalison
February 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I usually swim 6 days a week. Saturday is usually a low key 3K workout at my local Y. I used to do the "swim every other day thing" and it just didn't produce the results that I wanted. It may work for some people but not me.

WOW! 6 days a week..Do you do any other sports or workouts as well? Running, weights, biking..etc?

ViveBene
February 28th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Almost daily. Sometimes daily, and sometimes doubles. (I don't have a normal life; the alternative is to sit in front of a computer screen some more.)

Today - no surprise - I looked at the water and said, "I'm tired of swimming."

:)

Swimalison
February 28th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Almost daily. Sometimes daily, and sometimes doubles. (I don't have a normal life; the alternative is to sit in front of a computer screen some more.)

Today - no surprise - I looked at the water and said, "I'm tired of swimming."

:)

HEHE. Yeah, there are days when I think to myself..why the hell do I do this crap? But not sure what I would do without swimming either. EVERYDAY though? Do you do any other sports?

tjrpatt
February 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM
WOW! 6 days a week..Do you do any other sports or workouts as well? Running, weights, biking..etc?

Lately,
I have been doing one lifting session a week. I am not very good at keeping a consistent lifting routine. Plus, I don't want to do anymore since my taper is coming soon:banana:. I don't run because I have a bad knee. Once in a while, I will do a couple miles on my ProForm bike.

Syd
March 1st, 2009, 05:04 AM
7 days a week for me. On the odd occasion I might have to skip a day but seeing as our pool is open from 5 a.m to 10 p.m., I can usually always find a time to swim (even on the busiest of days).

bergsteiger
March 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
I average about 3 days a week. The pool is a 35min drive for me and in the interest of time/money/planet that is what works best for me. I also bike and run at least twice a week in the neighborhood (usually back-to-back). I've also started doing a spinner class followed by yoga once a week at the local Y (5min drive). When the pool opens up again in the summer at the Y I may start swimming 4 or 5 days a week. We'll see.

Ripple
March 1st, 2009, 02:04 PM
I'm training for another Swimtrek tour, so I'm doing 5-6 days a week and doing mag trainer sessions on the bike at the other end of the day as well. After I get back from the tour I'll probably cut back to 4-5 sessions a week, but make them faster and more intense.

ViveBene
March 1st, 2009, 03:12 PM
I'm training for another Swimtrek tour . . . .

(quick highjack here):

Ooh, where are you going (if I may ...)? I noted the Scilles are new this year. Roger Deakin in Waterlog (breaststroking through the byways of GB) describes swimming both Scilly and the Hebrides, Jura region.

The trips seem to be filling fast this year.

gigi
March 1st, 2009, 04:08 PM
Roger Deakins the cinematographer?

ViveBene
March 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM
Corrected the spelling to "Deakin."

From the book blurb:

"Roger Deakin, who died in 2006, was a writer, filmmaker and environmentalist of international renown. He was a founder member of Friends of the Earth and co-founded Common Ground. He lived for thirty-eight years in a moated farmhouse in Suffolk. Waterlog, which was first published in 1999, became a word-of-mouth bestseller, and is now an established classic of the nature writing canon."

My copy came from England via a U.S. distributor; didn't take too long. Short chapters, a picaresque tale for the moderns. Maybe I should start a blog on what I am reading.

flippergirl
March 2nd, 2009, 06:12 AM
I had to make a choice in the poll - I almost always swim 5 times a week, sometimes 4, almost never ever 3. So I went with 3-4 because I never swim 6 days a week and that rules out 5-6.
I plan to do a long course meters meet in late June, which will (I think) be my last meet until next fall, and after that I may back off on the 5 days a week thing to make room for a little running, biking, and such

Hi Gigi,
Where is the long course in June?
Flipper

ViveBene
March 2nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Hi Gigi,
Where is the long course in June?
Flipper

Hi Flipper,

I'm not Gigi, but maybe it's the last one here (New England Masters):
http://www.swimnem.org/wordpress/meets-events/

June 26, Middlebury College, VT

Rykno
March 2nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
3x 90 minutes (3500-5500m)

during the summer OW months I swim 4x75 minutes (4-5km)

Ripple
March 2nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
(quick highjack here):

Ooh, where are you going (if I may ...)? I noted the Scilles are new this year. Roger Deakin in Waterlog (breaststroking through the byways of GB) describes swimming both Scilly and the Hebrides, Jura region.

The trips seem to be filling fast this year.
I'm going to Malta, first week of May. It was going to be British Virgin Islands in April, but something else came up. Oddly, it's easier to find flights in and out of Malta (on the other side of the world) and takes less time to get there. Go figure.

DREWOOD
March 2nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
I always plan to swim 5 days a week, but can only get 3-4.....I bike & run on other days. Swimmer training Tri.

ddl
March 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
I'm surprised the number of people (who took the poll) who swim 3-4 times largely out number those swimming 5-6 times, and only 2 swims 7 times or more. I generally swim 5-6 times, but often enough 7 times, very occasionally 4 times. Not to mention the pool is 1 hour transportation away from where I live. Now I'm far from a hard core swimmer, so maybe I should cut down the frequency, just to be modest? :cool: (Am I swimming too much?:rolleyes:)
:D

jim clemmons
March 2nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
Occasionally 5, most weeks 6, sometimes 7, rarely less unless I'm on work related travel or a non-swimming vacation.

laineybug
March 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
the only reason I don't swim 6 to 7 times a week... the pool is closed on Sundays and the next closest place to swim is 70 minutes away (not even sure that pool is open on Sundays). Of course I could go to the coast and swim open water, but, burrrrrr.

bergsteiger
March 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
I generally swim 5-6 times, but often enough 7 times, very occasionally 4 times. Not to mention the pool is 1 hour transportation away from where I live. Now I'm far from a hard core swimmer

Ha ha. We must have different standards of what a hard core swimmer is. Taking 2 hours out of every single day just to travel to/from a pool is pretty hard core IMO.

Good for you though! Keep it up.

chris-eepor
March 3rd, 2009, 10:45 PM
I try to go 5 times a week, but thats optimism on my part, 3-4 is a good week :agree:

ddl
March 4th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Ha ha. We must have different standards of what a hard core swimmer is. Taking 2 hours out of every single day just to travel to/from a pool is pretty hard core IMO.

Good for you though! Keep it up.

Thanks for your encouragement! :D I think of a "hard-core" swimmer as someone who swims intensively, as fast as possible, lap after lap non-stop for 2 hours, even if he/she swims only 4 times a week. :) My swims are too relaxed to be called hard-core :cool:

born2fly_pl
March 4th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Yay! First post 4 me..

I swam 6 days a week...but I've reduced this to 5 days a week as in order to keep up with my quality run sessions(Training for a 1:30 half marathon time) and weight-training. Specializing in the fly(also plannign to do a open water long distance free swim in the summer so building mileage for that).

MAC swimmer
March 5th, 2009, 06:33 AM
4 days a week minimum. 5 is better.

Anything more and my wife leaves the yellow pages open on the divorce lawyer section...

spell_me
March 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM
3 or 4. 5 when I'm really lucky. I'd love to get in 5 or 6 per week consistently, but it's just not possible for me at this stage in my life (5 kids!)

SwimRobin
March 5th, 2009, 12:47 PM
For the last month, I have been swimming four workouts a week. I hope to be able to continue that number.

jjpj
March 6th, 2009, 01:14 AM
:bliss:Since there is no organized team in my town and morning team does not work for me because of my work- I have to drive hour each way for 1.5hrs training 6 days a week. I know some of you will say "you are crazy!" and I will say yes iam - Why?- I became sooo addicted to swimming i do not mind the commute. It is great team we have swim clinics, we go the the meets. I just love it?

think i'll add some weight training on Sundays...

Robert

ddl
March 6th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Does swimming 7 days a week provide extra health/fitness benefits as compared to 5-6 days? Any opinions on this?

spell_me
March 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Does swimming 7 days a week provide extra health/fitness benefits as compared to 5-6 days? Any opinions on this?

I doubt it. I think it's more of an addiction. I imagine that for building optimal fitness, a couple of rest days are probably the best set-up. But when you are hooked on that great post-workout feeling, you don't want to go a day without it if you don't have to.

Even though I don't swim every day, I probably would if I could. And those around me would praise me for my strength of willpower, never suspecting that I am just a chlorine junky.

lemonade
July 28th, 2010, 04:51 PM
7 days/week for 2-3 hours a day.

Might change this to 3 days a week, 2 lifting days, and 1 off day however.

locksleyu
July 29th, 2010, 11:38 AM
A year ago I was doing 1 day a week, early in the year I was doing 2 days a week, and the last few months I have been averaging 3-3.5 days / week. As I improve my form I hope I can swim more days/week without pain/injuries (there have been mild neck and shoulder injuries in the past).

I remember reading a study that said that the body really needs at least 3 days a week in order to improve in swimming. I'm not sure what study it was, but it sounds a little fishy to me. Is anyone familiar with this study or have any thoughts on it? I would imagine muscle atrophy wouldn't occur in that short of a time period.

goldfish
July 29th, 2010, 12:22 PM
6 times per week for me :)

I wonder if that is too much swimming, though my body seems to be handling it OK. I am not suffering from terrible fatigue or soreness after each 30 minutes workout. A trainer once told me to only exercise every other day, leaving room for muscles to recuperate and grow. Swimming is the most relaxing form of exercise for me, and I am trying hard not to overindulge it.

joel schmaltz
July 29th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I try really hard to swim 5 times a week . However, this summer I have been lucky to make it 4 times a week.

When school starts bak up for my children and our lives have even more "structure" I will get back into my regular routine.

KEWebb18
July 29th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I remember reading a study that said that the body really needs at least 3 days a week in order to improve in swimming. I'm not sure what study it was, but it sounds a little fishy to me. Is anyone familiar with this study or have any thoughts on it? I would imagine muscle atrophy wouldn't occur in that short of a time period.

I think that the study was done in the 80s (someone who is more familiar with the literature can chime in). If I can remember correctly, 3 times a week will maintain the gains from training, while a greater frequency will only help enhance and less frequency will not improve performance. There is more to it than just the number of days you do something, you have to take into account the intensity as well.

mjtyson
July 30th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Answered 3-4 even though I'm more a 4-5 times guy. Four is pretty standard, with 5 days happening more and more often.

Cazza
August 1st, 2010, 07:53 AM
3x per swims week for me. I do betweeen 2.5 and 2.8km per session. I'd like to add in another session, However I do a fair amount of dryland work also (3-5 boxing sessions, 1x yoga, 1 weights and 1x abs/core per week).

swimshark
August 1st, 2010, 08:13 PM
3 times a week during the summer because they are 2.25 hours a day. During school year it's 4 times - 90 min on 3 week days and 2.5 hours on Saturdays. I balance the weeks off with weights.

bzaks1424
August 2nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
My coach is trying to set up an extra practice which means 4/week! You have no idea how excited I am for this!