PDA

View Full Version : How to train between meets to maintain fitness

samantha
March 1st, 2009, 03:58 PM
I am a new masters swimmer and I developed a periodized training plan for myself. I spent 8 weeks building my base, 5 weeks on anaerobic capacity and five weeks on speed work. My training plan was based on Janet Evans' book 'Total Swimming'. Originally, I planned to 'peak' this weekend for a race. I even did a taper to get ready. Life events made me switch the date of my race to 6 weeks from now. How should I train for the next 6 weeks? Should I just repeat my speed phase for 4-5 weeks and then taper? Or, should I do an entire mini cycle, with a week or two of base, a week or two of anaerobic, a week or two of speed, and then a taper?

Herb
March 1st, 2009, 09:32 PM
I just got this book myself and have been following the general phase plan. Sorry I can't help you much as this is new to me. Great book though - without it I would have spent the rest of my life stuck in the base phase swimming the same old boring sets of 100s.

I don't think your situation is a big deal though. How do competive swimmers (AAU, high school, college) follow these stages since they are doing meets all season long? I think they only taper once for the big one.

I'm no expert, but Janet still suggests mixing base and anaerobic into the speed phase so I would think you could start back with base and adjust the percentages over the next few weeks.