PDA

View Full Version : Kosuke Kitajima Headed to United States

tjrpatt
March 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM
http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/20549.asp?q=Kosuke%20Kitajima%20Headed%20to%20Unit ed%20States

Does anyone know people in the State Department to revoke his visa? In support of fellow Suburbanite Brendan Hansen(Note: There are alot of fellow Suburbanites that I don't support/have respect for.), I don't like this and I don't support Kitajima's coming to the US. Can't he go to England or something?

bergsteiger
March 1st, 2009, 08:04 PM
Um, not up on swimming news I guess. What did he do that you don't want him to come to the US?

Thrashing Slug
March 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM
He kicked Hansen's ass in the Olympics. :afraid:

I'm not a big fan of Kitajima's style, but I have to give him credit, he is a true champion and defended his title. You can't argue with fast.

knelson
March 2nd, 2009, 12:35 AM
I wasn't a big fan of his blatant cheating in 2004, but he sure isn't the only one guilty of this. He just happens to be the one who beat the American guy :) Seriously, the dude is one hell of a competitor. His swims in Beijing were awesome. I really hope you're being a little tongue in cheek about not wanting him in the U.S., Tom.

tjrpatt
March 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
I wasn't a big fan of his blatant cheating in 2004, but he sure isn't the only one guilty of this. He just happens to be the one who beat the American guy :) Seriously, the dude is one hell of a competitor. His swims in Beijing were awesome. I really hope you're being a little tongue in cheek about not wanting him in the U.S., Tom.

Kirk,
Yeah, just a little. Sure, come to America!

lefty
March 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
WHy would this be bad news for Hansen? hansen has no problem stepping up at Olympic Trials...

meldyck
March 2nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
maybe he and Hansen could train together....

funkyfish
March 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM

Might even make for a hilarious sitcom…:bliss:

tjrpatt
March 2nd, 2009, 03:54 PM

From my knowledge, he can't stand Kitijama and vice versa. Plus, it all depends if Hansen doesn't retire after his sabbactical.

meldyck
March 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
From my knowledge, he can't stand Kitijama and vice versa. Plus, it all depends if Hansen doesn't retire after his sabbactical.

I'm aware of the social interaction quotient. The suggestion was a joke.

aztimm
March 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Isn't this the guy who basically cheated with a dolphin kick doing breast? Then instead of a DQ, they rewrote the rules to accommodate it?

TRYM_Swimmer
March 2nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Isn't this the guy who basically cheated with a dolphin kick doing breast? Then instead of a DQ, they rewrote the rules to accommodate it?

That's the one!!! Made long-time BSers (pun intended) like myself cringe at the Flyness of it! There'll soon be no advantage for those of us whose feet naturally point outwards.

tjrpatt
March 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM

When foreign swimmers break the rules, FINA accommodates them. When an American swimmer comes up with a faster way to swim(ie Berkoff SDK in the 1992 100 backstroke), FINA limits how fair you can go, the 15 meter rule.

Allen Stark
March 2nd, 2009, 11:51 PM
In 04 he clearly cheated and won.In 08 he maybe cheated(FINA "clarified" the rule to say he didn't.) That said,his swims in 08 redefined how BR should be swum.Maybe he is learning English so he can give me private lessons:bolt:

Swimalison
March 3rd, 2009, 07:15 AM
Ok..so obviously don't personally know this fellow but ugh..not a likable guy from what I've seen..Glad to hear Brendan doesn't like him!!! Please don't come to the U.S. with that attitude!

thewookiee
March 3rd, 2009, 07:46 AM
When foreign swimmers break the rules, FINA accommodates them. When an American swimmer comes up with a faster way to swim(ie Berkoff SDK in the 1992 100 backstroke), FINA limits how fair you can go, the 15 meter rule.

Gotta disagree. The rule was put into play for safety more than anything. They didn't want untrained swimmers or coaches forcing their swimmers to extend beyond their actual limits. Berkoff took several years to develop his kick, where others were tying to do it immediately for an entire race, instead of taking the time to properly develop it.

FYI...it was after the 1988 Olympics. Berkoff had been developing his style for about 2 or 3 years before then. By 1992, they were limited to 10 meters.

new
March 3rd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Maybe he is learning English so he can give me private lessons:bolt:

His english is pretty good actually, I saw him after hansen couldn't make the 200 breast before beijin, he was like "I was in shock"

Frank Thompson
March 3rd, 2009, 02:39 PM

This statement is not correct. I can think of two instances that FINA changed the rules for underwater swimming and it had absolutely nothing to do with American swimmers swimming faster. The first was the 1956 Olympics and there were two Japanese swimmers (Furukawa and Yoshimura) who swam the race completely underwater and in the next FINA rules session, they outlawed it and changed the rule. In 1956, the only breaststroke event was the 200 and this may have been one of the only times in American Olympic history that the USA did not have a man or women in the top 8 final in a stroke event (breast).

The other instance is the only double gold medalist besides Spitz and Phelps to win both fly events in the Olympics and his name was Dennis Pankratov. If you remember watching the 1996 Atlanta Olympics he was a lot like David Berkoff in that he went almost the entire 50 meter distance underwater on the first 50 and went about 25 meters on the second 50 in the 100 fly. He also did this in the 200 fly but not as far in distance in the 200 and this helped him win double gold. He swam for the United Soviet team. FINA changed the rule after the 1996 Olympics and like backstroke limited the distance to 15 meters. No other swimmers swam like this except Misty Hyman but she did not swim in the 1996 Olympics but basically used the same strategy as Pankratov.

I believe the FINA rule change for backstroke came in either 1991 or 1992. I know at the NCAA Championships they were swimming completely underwater and both Berkoff and USMS swimmer Mike Ross (Let Race) were the ones that really perfected the style for 50 yards. In fact, Mike Ross is the only swimmer I ever saw go completely underwater for a race and come up and take one stroke at the finish. He did that for Princeton in the 200 Medley Relay in 1990 when they were the defending NCAA Champions and won from lane one.

YouTube - Princeton Swimming, Medley Relays '89 & '90