PDA

View Full Version : NCAA approves use of current batch of tech suits for 2009

jim clemmons
March 1st, 2009, 09:52 PM
'Word out of Indianapolis today is that with no ability to test suits, the NCAA will continue to permit the use of all currently-approved suits for the 2009 Division championships.

Today's memo reads:

Members of the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving Committee met with NCAA staff members via teleconference, Tuesday, February 24, and discussed the current state of so-called technical swimsuits and the treatment of them for purposes of upcoming intercollegiate competitions, inclusive of the NCAA championships.

As stated in a memorandum sent September 11, 2008, the committee decided to permit all technical swimsuits approved by Fédération Internationale de Natation (FINA) to be worn in intercollegiate competition, including NCAA championships. At such time, no scientific or other concrete evidence existed to reasonably conclude that these swimsuits provided an advantage for the swimmer that could be defined as illegal or inappropriate assistance. As a result, the technical swimsuits were deemed compliant for all intercollegiate competition."

Full text of the article: http://www.collegeswimming.com/news/2009/feb/27/all-tech-suits-approved-2009-ncaas/

Dolphin 2
March 2nd, 2009, 11:27 AM
Yep it looks like the suit makers have been shoveling money to the regulatory agencies again and in return, they get the OK to use the latest model in "tech suits".

Swimming regulations are beginning to look more and more like the "vending machine" politics in government: Put your money in ($1000 bills accepted) and select your kick back. :bitching:

Dolphin 2

meldyck
March 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Dang, Galen, I'm sure surprised to see that you commented on this. Especially since you have a closet full of these things....

thewookiee
March 2nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Dang, Galen, I'm sure surprised to see that you commented on this. Especially since you have a closet full of these things....

:rofl:

aquageek
March 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
For the first time in a long time I'm pleased to see progress has emerged victorious over whining.

Karen Duggan
March 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
I hardly think there was a payoff here!
The SWIMMERS WANT THE SUITS.

Dolphin 2
March 2nd, 2009, 03:38 PM

Hey Mel
I recall your letter in the hard copy version of USMS Swimmer stating something to the effect that using a tech suit saved you $30,000 because you spent less time in training.

This is another one of your posts on the subject of getting an advantage from a suit:

U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Ban the tech suits?

Pardon me, but aren’t you kinda admitting to using a “cheat sheet” approach to training? :confused:

Just askin’.

Dolphin 2

Jazz Hands
March 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Dolphin 2, quit dancing around the issue and just tell us. Do you approve of these new high-tech swim suits?

Redbird Alum
March 2nd, 2009, 03:45 PM
Dolphin 2, quit dancing around the issue and just tell us. Do you approve of these new high-tech swim suits?

... and let the whining begin.... I think this whole topic has been debated to death in various other threads. Fact of the matter is FINA and now NCAA have ruled. Let's move on...

Dolphin 2
March 2nd, 2009, 05:38 PM

Hey Jazz Hands
Here's my answer:
Naaaaahhhhhh. :bump:

Dolphin 2

thewookiee
March 2nd, 2009, 08:05 PM

How could he provide an answer worth considering? He's admitted that he doesn't race, so why should his opinion on tech suits hold any value?