PDA

View Full Version : may I make a suggestion about the forums?

ddl
March 1st, 2009, 11:23 PM
I think it would be really helpful if some fine-tuning could be done to the forums. For example, to have individual forums that are mainly for discussions about:

a. techniques,

b. coaching/instructions

c. meets and competitions

d. management/organization/other aspects of swim teams/facilities/...,

e. health/fitness issues

etc. etc.

You may consider different categories, but I really think a forum that is dedicated to Techniques is highly desirable.

Anyone supports the idea?

ddl
March 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM
:drown: Now won't you respond?!

ViveBene
March 3rd, 2009, 06:46 AM
The human brain excels at parsing and categorizing to the nth degree. Hence the unbounded proliferation of lawyers, deconstructionists, librarians, mathematicians, taxonomists, star-gazers, and list makers. The current limited content would not seem to support a proliferation of separate forums. A suggestion was made earlier to have a forum for members' technique videos; after a reasonably warm reception, the notion appears to have been back-burnered. From a practical viewpoint, it is easier to see all the main forums on a single page without scrolling too much; as well, there is already a bit of confusion as to what thread goes where, with postings of same question in multiple forums. IMO, the forum number is close to optimal now. The blogs have effectively screened what content is posted in the main forums, and the long-running threads serve as discretized mini-forums. I don't see what would be gained from a larger number of formal divisions.
:blah:

geochuck
March 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM
No I like it the way it is.

I think it would be really helpful if some fine-tuning could be done to the forums. For example, to have individual forums that are mainly for discussions about:

a. techniques,

b. coaching/instructions

c. meets and competitions

d. management/organization/other aspects of swim teams/facilities/...,

e. health/fitness issues

etc. etc.

You may consider different categories, but I really think a forum that is dedicated to Techniques is highly desirable.

Anyone supports the idea?

jim thornton
March 16th, 2009, 11:46 PM
You can already search the forums, though I am not exactly sure how. Perhaps a reasonable addendum would be to allow the thread-starter to "tag" his or her thread with the categories you mentioned. It wouldn't be mandatory, but if a person were to start a thread on, say, shoulder pain, maybe Jim M. could add some tag options and he/she could select "health".

Then if someone wanted to check out all the health posts, they could call up all the recently tagged health threads.

Ditto for technique, race strategy, etc.

I am not much of an IT savant, so maybe this would be prohibitively difficult. But it seems as if there is already a tagging feature on the blogs, though I don't know how many bloggers actually use it.

This could allow the best of both worlds: the same forums that are here now, but with perhaps a wee bit of organizing for those interested in searching within a major category, like "Swimming Related", for subtopics, like "health" or "technique" or "equipment/suits"

matysekj
March 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Jim, tags are already enabled. When you're logged in, scroll to the bottom of any thread just above the Quick Reply block and you'll see a block for tags. They are mostly unused so far. Any registered user may add tags to a thread by clicking on "Edit Tags" on the right side of that block's header. There's also a Tag Search option in the search menu. When you add tags, it's up to you to add an appropriate tag.

Excellent suggestion, Jim. Perhaps people will get more used to using tags?

ALM
March 17th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hmmm.... How many threads will be tagged with "frotteur"?

jim thornton
March 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Not nearly enough, in my view. Not nearly enough.

ViveBene
March 22nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
I'm beginning to revise my views and will now look at use of tags.
Exercise physiology
Fitness

:)

I do think the embrace of blogs cleared out a lot from the general fora.

Mp