PDA

View Full Version : Unable to walk and loss of sight after swimming?

buxxer88
March 4th, 2009, 01:14 AM
i was swimming in pool and after coming out of pool i felt dizzy and i was unable to walk and everything went blank and was not able to see anything with my eyes.And i was having burning sensation in stomach This happen everytime after coming out of pool from past 2 months

what the reason of this am i fit for swimming

ddl
March 4th, 2009, 08:50 AM
For how long did you swim? Did you wear goggles? What about the quality of the pool water? Do you have any known health condition?

USMSarah
March 4th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I would go and see a doctor.

I experienced something like this from getting too hot (not swimming related), but it may be a good idea to go and see a doc just in case.

aquageek
March 4th, 2009, 09:21 AM
umm, 9-1-1.

swimshark
March 6th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I would go and see a doctor.

I experienced something like this from getting too hot (not swimming related), but it may be a good idea to go and see a doc just in case.

I agree.

buxxer88
March 6th, 2009, 10:16 AM
ya doctor told me it was due to acidity

rtodd
March 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Doctor. Not normal.

gigi
March 6th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Get off-line right now and call a doctor - I'm beyond concerned...

taruky
March 6th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Buxxer, there are a lot of reasons this can happen, some benign, some more serious. I think you should most definitely get an EKG (electrocardiogram) done to make sure you do not have any setup for an arrythmia. For example, there is something called Long QT syndrome, where swimming in particular can cause an extremely fast heart rate or a very slow heart rate, both of which could cause your symptoms. A stress test would also be worthwhile, because abdominal pain can be a manifestation of heart ischemia (coronary artery disease or sometimes people have abnormal anatomy of the coronary arteries which can cause ischemia).

Among the more benign things could be what's called vasovagal symptoms. In short, you are swimming in a horizontal position most of the time (I would hope if you are any good, :laugh2:). When you get out of the pool you are suddenly upright and your body suddenly needs to return blood to the heart against gravity using compensatory mechanisms. Some people have problems with these compansatory mechanisms, and combined with you being a little dehydrated, you could have these symptoms. Make sure to drink a sports drink prior to going in the pool, and get out of the pool slowly.

The fact that your symptoms are occurring after you get out of the pool (i.e. after your exertion ends) suggests the more benign cause. However, there are always cases that didn't read the book and when we are talking about human life here, it's best to play it safe.

Hope that helps.