PDA

View Full Version : need advice

Saucier
March 4th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Hello, I am one of the newbe. I used to swim regulary, but haven't swam in about eight years. I just started back up yestoday at the local y where I am a member. I am looking to structure a workout that will help me regain my fitness level. Where I became a member of the club, Maine masters Swim Club, I am looking to join the group. Please can some one offer direction to where I may go from here.

Heather

Midas
March 4th, 2009, 06:14 PM
To get back to the point where I felt comfortable doing "real" workouts again (which I think is what you're asking), I followed this program for getting ready to swim a mile in 6 weeks: http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html

I actually did the whole program in 3 or so weeks, moving up to the next successive workout after doing each workout 2-3 times.

Good luck and welcome back!

gigi
March 4th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I suggest Total Swimming by Janet Evans. The first part of the book is a super-detailed swimming manual with all kinds of advice on strokes, turns, equipment, training, you name it.

The second part of the book as an incredible array of workouts that will take you from total beginner to yardage-obsessed maniac in carefully calibrated steps. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Months and months of workouts all spelled out for you in handy charts.

Good luck and have fun

I use the workouts on this site - go to the discussion forum main page and check out the workouts threads. Some of them might be a bit much for you right now, but you can pick and choose the sets you feel ready for

GO FOR IT!!!