PDA

View Full Version : opinions on weight training program

SwimMann
March 5th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I have 19 weeks until another meet (training for the 100s) and have been toying around with the idea of incorporating this weight training program into my routine. In addition I'll be swimming 20-30k a week.

It only takes about 30-40 minutes to do the lifts but I plan on adding additional core work/injury prevention. The main goal of the program is to build maximal strength. You increase the weight every workout or every other workout if it's feasible. I plan on doing it twice a week; a monday/thursday deal. The program is set up where u alternate workouts. Here is the program:

Workout A
Squats 3x5
Incline Bench Press 3x5
Hang Cleans 5x3
Decline Pushups 3xFailure
Core stability (iso holds)
External rotators

Workout B
Lunges w/barbell 3x5
Overhead Press or push press 3x5
Dead-lift 1x5
Pull-ups 3xFailure
Medicine ball circuit
external rotators

How does it look?

craig68
March 5th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Is your goal to get stronger, generally? Or to swim faster? If it's to get stronger in general, then I can't comment. But if it's to swim faster, you might want to incorporate more exercises that mimic swim motion. For example, there are lots of exercises you can do with pulley systems found on any Universal type machine that mimic freestyle and butterfly stroke, focusing on early vertical forearm, or strong finish, etc. I also do reps to generally strengthen rotator cuff and prevent injury. You can also use ankle straps on those pully machines to mimic flutter kick. I do three very hard weight workouts a week (I'm a sprinter), but every excercise I do has some direct application to my swimming strokes. I think it has helped! Good luck.

Jazz Hands
March 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I disagree with stroke mimicry. Just try to focus on the major swimming muscles. You have a lot of upward vertical exercises in that program (incline bench, hang cleans, overhead press), and swimming is about moving the water downward, relative to a standing position. Chin-ups, dips, and decline bench would all be good substitutions.

Other than that it looks solid. Don't be afraid to shift up your rep schemes every once in a while. You're a bit on the low end right now.

Flounder
March 5th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Try adding in some single leg balance work, your stabilizing muscles will kick in (those help so much with staying streamline in the water). Stick with the iso abs, but add some side iso ones too. Those will incorporate your side oblique and glute medius muscles. So many athletes forget about the little stabilizing groups which are always the ones to get injured......:2cents:

qbrain
March 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM
You are just starting out lifting right? You are not already doing another lifting program and transitioning to this one? If so, I suggest you start really light. You have 45 workouts before you need to start thinking about taper, which is 22 weight increases, and 110lbs over the course of the program. It is well worth the time to spend the first month doing ultralight weights, making sure that you have form down 100%. Plus it helps you get into the routine of always working out, and learning your new routine.

The only problem with the workout I see is that it hits the back pretty light. Instead of 3xF on the chins, maybe change that to 3xF until you are doing 3x10 and they start doing weighted chins.