PDA

View Full Version : Goggles, Swimming induced motion sickness

samahi72
March 6th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I have very poor eyesight. When I put on goggles or a diving mask, I can see great underwater. It seems like the goggles and mask in combination with the water actually causes a magnification effect, similar to wearing glasses. The problem is that after just a short while I start getting motion sickness, and I don't know what to do about it. I love being in the water and snorkling, but I avoid it now because of the motion sickness. Even swimming laps in a pool will cause it. If I swim laps without the goggles I seem to do okay but my eyes get clobbered by the clorine and it is bothersome not to be able to see the bottom or the end of the pool.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also what about prescription goggles, wouldn't that even increase the magnification effect of the water that much more?
Thanks

Buckee
March 11th, 2009, 07:01 AM
So you just want to swim laps and the "magnifying" effect of goggles induces motion sickness??

I just googled "prescription swimming googles" and there is a heap of urls for you to peruse.

Your post reminds me of a time when I was holidaying in the barrier reef "Heron Island". I was snorkling with the wife, we were just wearing masks. She is a poor swimmer so I used to hold her hand and pull her along otherwise we would take forever to get anywhere. This reef shark checked us out, he was only a few metres from us and I expected the wife to go nuts as the shark was bigger than both of us, but she didn't seem at all bothered. later on she said she thought the shark was only a foot or so big and was a long way away. I suggested she had her eyes checked again, (she does wear glasses). But it did make me think about the problems some people have wearing goggles if they have eye focusing issues.

Anyhow, I know when I swim if the goggles fog up it throws me out and I lose my co-ordination...

Sorry I do not have any really constructive advice, I hope someone else helps you out.

Brian

aquageek
March 11th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I get motion sick swimming in the ocean, have my whole life. I attribute it to my small brain bouncing around in my head.

Ripple
March 11th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Your doctor or optometrist might be able to help you with this one.
I had motion sickness while swimming after having a heavy cold once. It was diagnosed as Benign Paroxymal Positional Vertigo, caused by little calcium chunks breaking off and bouncing around in the balance chamber of the inner ear.

hnatkin
March 11th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Don't know about the motion sickness issue, but I absolutely love my prescription goggles - Speedo Vanquisher Optical. Now I can see not only more clearly in the pool but also, and more importantly in practice, I can read the clock!
If your eyes are different prescriptions, buy 2 pair - 1 for each diopter - and then switch out the lenses so you have 2 customized pairs for yourself.

jbs
March 11th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I'll second Heidi's post about prescription goggles. I wear them too-- I use the TYR corrective optical goggles--and also love them. It's nice to be able to see the pace clock, the bottom of the pool, etc.

I have no idea about whether the prescription goggles would help with motion sickness. I remember reading somewhere that motion sickness was related to your eyes not being able to find a stable point of reference. Maybe prescription goggles would help with that, though it is probably worth checking things out with your doctor as others have suggested.

samahi72
March 11th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I'll second Heidi's post about prescription goggles. I wear them too-- I use the TYR corrective optical goggles--and also love them. It's nice to be able to see the pace clock, the bottom of the pool, etc.

I have no idea about whether the prescription goggles would help with motion sickness. I remember reading somewhere that motion sickness was related to your eyes not being able to find a stable point of reference. Maybe prescription goggles would help with that, though it is probably worth checking things out with your doctor as others have suggested.

Thanks to all for helpful tips. I have avoided the water and water based activities because of the potential for motion sickness. I know that I have a hyper sensitive inner ear, so I stay away from anything that can lead to motion sickness. I was just curious as to the phenomona of magnified eye sight with goggles and masks.

DPC
March 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I'd get to the doctor - motion sickness or virtigo type ailments are usually inner ear or other imbalances or potentially other significant problems - your eyesight issues could heighten the problem, as could the motion of your head while swimming, but may not be the root of it. Get it checked out soon.

My eyesight is really bad too - in fact without my glasses I become effectively deaf since I can't tell if someone is speaking to me from more than 10 feet away because I can't locate and identify where the sound is coming from - very disconcerting. I own three pairs of optical goggles and don't see how I went this long without them - back in HS and College I think your only optionwas to pay $200 to get a real prescription pair, but now they have "corrective" lenses - Speedo Vaquishers are $14 - $20 each, and if your eyes are significantly different as someone suggested buy a pair for each eye strength and use one lens of each. You can pay $50 -$100 and get a custom pair, but I don't "see" the advantage money wise.

The web sites give you a general rule to calculate your needs - if you are between strengths they say to round down; its a close enough approximation of the need and you won't be using them for driving (hopefully).

The only downside I have had is now I see how dirty and foul most pools are.:eek:

samahi72
March 13th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I'd get to the doctor - motion sickness or virtigo type ailments are usually inner ear or other imbalances or potentially other significant problems - your eyesight issues could heighten the problem, as could the motion of your head while swimming, but may not be the root of it. Get it checked out soon.

My eyesight is really bad too - in fact without my glasses I become effectively deaf since I can't tell if someone is speaking to me from more than 10 feet away because I can't locate and identify where the sound is coming from - very disconcerting. I own three pairs of optical goggles and don't see how I went this long without them - back in HS and College I think your only optionwas to pay $200 to get a real prescription pair, but now they have "corrective" lenses - Speedo Vaquishers are $14 - $20 each, and if your eyes are significantly different as someone suggested buy a pair for each eye strength and use one lens of each. You can pay $50 -$100 and get a custom pair, but I don't "see" the advantage money wise.

The web sites give you a general rule to calculate your needs - if you are between strengths they say to round down; its a close enough approximation of the need and you won't be using them for driving (hopefully).

The only downside I have had is now I see how dirty and foul most pools are.:eek:

Yes, I have already gone to a doctor and underwent all those tests to see how easily you get motion sickness. It was AWFUL. Let's see if blowing hot air in one ear makes you sick =yes, Let's check the other ear = yes. Okay lets try blowing cold air in one ear =yes, now the other ear = yes, etc etc etc. My diagnosis is a hypersensitive middle ear. Hooray, at least I know now. The other issue with swimming is getting water way down in the ear. So ultimately I have to decide if swimming is worth the hassle of trying to get the right prescription googles and some ear plugs that actually work.

Thanks for your suggestions.

DPC
March 13th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Great that they were able to isolate the problem for you :applaud:.
The ear plugs should help, I guess you just need to get used to them. Like goggles there are a bunch outthere. Check with an ear, nose and throat doctor maybe they can make a reccomendation. I just got a new pair of Speedo Vanquisher opitcals ( -7.0 diopter in both eyes - can't see squat without my glasses) and they are the best - they actually made the pool area brighter - for $14 you can't beat them.

Good luck