PDA

View Full Version : Weird team itch!

trinollinger
March 6th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Several swimmers on my team have recently had an itchy rash that we can't figure out. We have been swimming in this pool since August, and have had no problems until recently. The rash looks like welts, is all over, and itches like hell. We have taken the pool water to be tested, and the ph level and all chemicals were normal. The dermatologist told the swimmers that it was basically a dry skin itch-cycle (they itch, so they scratch, making the skin itchier etc..), but today at the pool another woman (not on our team) told us that she was experiencing it, and that it was a reaction to a by-product of the ozone that they use to filter the pool. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? She said it has built up in our systems. (FYI, the pool is not chlorinated, it uses ozone and bromine)

freeflykami
March 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Could just be a delayed reaction to the ozone... it took your body awhile to develop it. I get that same kind of rash from bromine, I avoid hot tubs like the plaque (it may actualy be in there! J/K) But when I was a guard and had to get in, I would take a soap shower ASAP and that helped a lot.

But there is also an infection of your hair folicles that you can get from pools, but it would be all over your body. I can't remember what the Dr. called it, I thought I had it but turned out to be excema, which is also a common "itch" during the dry cold winters.

Get thee to a Dr. and get it checked out.

trinollinger
March 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM
We have all been to the Dr. It is not folliculitis. We have had steroid shots, topical steroids creams, and are taking antihistamines:bed:.
I think it is getting better, but wondered if others had experienced this.
Oh yeah, the pool does use bromine.