PDA

View Full Version : Training Question??

Jhender
March 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I just got back into masters after 8 years. I trained three times a week for a meet and did ok but was hurting at the end of 100's and now I feel like if I don't hit it 6 times a week I will not see much of an improvement if I don't hit it hard. I'm a sprinter and need some suggestions of how much should I be training and what's too much if this makes any sense??? Josh H

KEWebb18
March 8th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I would suggest reading Ande's thread (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=4229&highlight=Ande). He has a lot of good tips. You may also want to look at some of the workouts posted on the workouts section--most of them have a sprint workout that you can do to supplement your training.
Personally, I just started back after 8 years off and swam in my first meet last weekend--I totally understand where you are coming from.

qbrain
March 8th, 2009, 02:45 PM
How long have you been back?

At 3x/week it will take longer to get back into shape than training more frequently. I have been back for 10 months, trained 3x/weeks for 8 months, and then bumped it up to 4-5x/week at a higher intensity the last two months. My 100 time just now is coming around, but I am still not there for the 200.

The intensity increase has probably been more important than the couple of added workouts. Improving weaknesses (my kick) and reaching for harder intervals (and failing frequently) seem to be key.

I think 3x/week is enough, you just need to push yourself more and know that it is going to take more time than you want to get to where you want to be.

Jhender
March 8th, 2009, 02:48 PM
WOW thanks I'm going to the pool. I appreciate that link there is so much i could read all afternoon. Thanks again!:)

Jhender
March 8th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the push i need it. My golf game is going to suffer, i feel good just need to shead a few more pounds. i went 23.4 in the 50 free and felt like i was in a nascar race.... all over the place. I swim every day at lunch by myself so this website has helped a ton i don't feel alone anymore. J

KEWebb18
March 8th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Good luck. Make sure that you let us know of your progress!

magyarjuli
March 8th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the push i need it. My golf game is going to suffer, i feel good just need to shead a few more pounds. i went 23.4 in the 50 free and felt like i was in a nascar race.... all over the place. I swim every day at lunch by myself so this website has helped a ton i don't feel alone anymore. J

Wow well you are doing pretty darn good for just coming back! Good luck to you in all your journeys!:cheerleader:

Jhender
March 8th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks I appreciate the support it's been hard and i set some big goals hope you guys are doing great and good luck to you!!!!

Jhender
March 8th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Michael,

I started Jan 2nd and messed around the whole month and got serious in Feb. I have missed two days in the last 30 and i swim sprints like mad.

I do 10x50 on 1:00 and go all out the first 25 and go easy the second. I feel like if i rest too much like 2:00 i will not get a workout in. Do you have any workout suggestion or should i keep hammering the sprints like I'm doing? I'm working out about 50 minutes to and hour now every day.

Jhender
March 8th, 2009, 10:51 PM
i will thanks so muych you too have a super week!!

qbrain
March 9th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Michael,

I started Jan 2nd and messed around the whole month and got serious in Feb. I have missed two days in the last 30 and i swim sprints like mad.

I do 10x50 on 1:00 and go all out the first 25 and go easy the second. I feel like if i rest too much like 2:00 i will not get a workout in. Do you have any workout suggestion or should i keep hammering the sprints like I'm doing? I'm working out about 50 minutes to and hour now every day.

Josh,

I have to laugh, you are truly a sprinter. My target event is the 200 free right now, so take my advice for what you will.

Since you are dying at the end of the 100, you need to focus more on sustained speed, and less on raw speed.

First, reverse you 10x50 set. Instead of fast/easy, do build to fast, so you are going fast into the turn until the finish.

Try broken 125s, 6x125, 75 race, 50 active recovery on 2:00. So swim the 75 fast, get your time, then loaf the 50.

Also try 6x125, 75 easy speed, 50 sprint. Give yourself 10-15s rest. The end of this set should be really painful.

Sets of 100s would be good to train for the 100 as well :) Do both approaches, tight interval to work on endurance, and lots of rest to work on speed.

There are lots of workouts in the workout section that might be of interest to you.

knelson
March 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I think if you want to swim a good 100 you need some aerobic base. Sounds like your workouts have been focused purely on speed. Take one day a week and do an aerobic oriented set. It doesn't have to be 10x500 on 6:00 :), but try for sets where you are swimming for at least 30 minutes without a whole lot of rest in between repeats.

The Fortress
March 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Josh,

I'm a drop dead sprinter that has experimented with training over 3 years. At the moment (always subject to further analysis) I've concluded that sprinters (or at least me) benefit from a mix of aerobic work, speed work, lactate work, & hard kicking. I've done more aerobic work in the last year or so and I think it's helped my 100s. As Kirk notes, even 30 minutes or 1000 yards of aerobic work per workout will help. I don't do any really crazy short rest stuff though. You even get some aerobic benefit from doing recovery swimming or a recovery set between harder speed sets.

Here's a thread I started awhile ago pondering this issue:

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=10784&highlight=aerobic+work+sprinters

I'd also recommend looking at Jonathan Miller's "Fun & Fast" thread in the workout sections. Lots of good ideas for sprinters. Tall Paul has interesting workouts/sets too, though some are for the mid D type.

Jhender
March 9th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Guys thanks for the tips. I did 20x 50's on 1:00 and descended all of them tonight and did some kick in there as well. I'm going to do the 100 Free this fall and focus on the sprints this spring. I appreciate all of the feedback it's great to know there are people I can ask questions and get answers. My nephew swims and did a 1:48.01 in the 200 back at the zone meet this past weekend and I have asked him questions and tip for a 17 year old his answer was... I DON'T KNOW.....try swimming harder.

qbrain
March 10th, 2009, 10:41 AM
My nephew swims and did a 1:48.01 in the 200 back at the zone meet this past weekend and I have asked him questions and tip for a 17 year old his answer was... I DON'T KNOW.....try swimming harder.

Also good advice.

I can swim faster than most coaches, but I can't coach better than most coaches. Coaches are a good resource, and I hope you will try to find one to work with at least part of your training time.

ourswimmer
March 10th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I don't do any really crazy short rest stuff though.

But you do run, and do you not also go to spin class from time to time? That sort of sustained moderate heart-rate effort is valuable whether you get it in the pool or out.

The Fortress
March 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM
But you do run, and do you not also go to spin class from time to time? That sort of sustained moderate heart-rate effort is valuable whether you get it in the pool or out.

Yes, though not as much lately as I've been swimming 5x week. I do get some nice Zone 2 work this way though. In fact, going running right now. :)

Oh, Josh, how could I forget? Lift weights! Maybe follow Jazz Hands or Paul Wolf's blog. Paul is on the Lezak lifting program at the moment, and they're both sprinters.

Jhender
March 10th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks I'm not a runner i would rather walk 18 holes and carry my bag:) I'm worn out tonight, i hit the wall and I need some rest. i have shot some lofty goals and I'm going to life after the Wildcat meet weekend after next. You guys are great i need to get up to speed on the blogs etc. There is information overload. Have a super night!