PDA

View Full Version : Early WC Predictions?

Gydra
March 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Never to early to start right! Now that we have seen most of the big names (with a few notable exceptions) get a meet or two under their belts, lets throw out some ideas. Because of training capacity and getting back into it I'll stick with 200's and under-

50 Free-
Nathan Adrian
Garrett Weber-Gale

100 Fr-
Nathan Adrian
Jason Lezak

200 Fr-
Michael Phelps
Peter Vanderkaay

100 back-
Michael Phelps
Ryan Lochte

200 back-
Ryan Lochte
Aaron Peirsol (if he is still competing)

100breast-
Eric Shanteau
Mark Gangloff

200 breast-
Eric Shanteau
Scott Spann

100 fly-
Michael Phelps
Lots of potential

200 fly-
Michael Phelps
Gil Stoval (if he is still competing?) or Davis Tarwater (if he is still competing?)

200 IM-
Michael Phelps
Ryan Lochte

Women

50 Free-
Dara Torres (if she is still competing?)
Lara Jackson

100 Fr-
Natalie Coughlin
Kara Lynn Joyce

200 Fr-
Katie Hoff
Dagny Knutson

100 back-
Natalie Coughlin
Margaret Hoelzer

200 back-
Margaret Hoelzer
Elizabeth Beisel

100breast -
Maybe the easiest lock on WC without screwed-over-Kirk and drug-cheat-Hardy?
Rebecca Soni
Megan Jendrick (if she is still competing?)

200 breast-
Rebecca Soni
Amanda Beard (if she is still competing?) or Megan Jendrick (if she is still competing?)

100 fly-
Christine Magnuson
Elaine Breeden

200 fly-
Elaine Breeden
Mary Descenza

200 IM-
Katie Hoff
Dagny Knutson

Rykno
March 9th, 2009, 02:36 AM
100 back-
Michael Phelps
Ryan Lochte

Has Phelps already come out with what he is planning on swimming?

JoeBob
March 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I thought that Coughlin was taking the year off.

Karen Duggan
March 9th, 2009, 12:38 PM
I think Phelps will try 200 back, and Natalie either is getting married or just did. I'll ask around- she's a local girl.

hofffam
March 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Spann seems unlikely since he is recovering from an injury or surgery. Shanteau is in top form right now. Both his 100/200 are near American record speed today.

Amanda Beard is a joke. She needs to retire if she hasn't already.

I think GWG will be beat in the 50. Not sure by who though. GWG's 100 and 200 speed (42.0 and 133 this weekend) are very impressive though.

Peirsol looked very rusty to me this weekend in Austin. I don't know how fast he can get in shape. Lots of competition in backstroke with Phelps, Lochte, and others.

I think Dave Walters could be the #2 200 guy. He just needs to swim long course like he swims SCY.

I think Kathleen Hersey will beat Descenza in 200 fly.

Hoff looked very good and relaxed in Austin. She could be awesome in anything she chooses to swim.

Gydra
March 19th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I think a change is in order for breaststroke predictions...

Swimmer Megan Jendrick breaks leg during training

http://www.king5.com/sports/stories/NW_031809SPB-megan-jendrick-leg-broken-KC.4c53be78.html

pwolf66
March 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
nah, she's young. She'll heal quick. But not the brightest move in the world. Ah well. Swimmers should stay in the water.

SLOmmafan
March 19th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I wonder if Phelps might try at something like the 100 free. He could focus more on power then endurance in the next 4-5 months. His LC 100 free time is one of the fastest out there, and he could take any of the up and comer sprinters I think.

It's also a bit more of a glamor event too, versus the events he generally swims. People like the short sprints, and Phelps wants all the positive light he can get (for his swimming achievements, instead of his other extracurricular's).

geochuck
March 19th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I got very excited about WC predictions. I thought you were talking about Water Closets.